Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Responsibility to pay for soil pipe repair

Hi all I need some advice please?
    I have a 1st floor flat, one above and one below. The soil pipe boss was once hacked off in my flat before my time. We have put in a new toilet and it's now leaking from the flat above. Due the the historical damage its a very expensive repair. Is this my responsibility to pay for this repair? The Soil pipe is owned by the freehold company.
    Please advise
    Thank you

Yes we developed a downstairs leak, and it was actually my love for deep baths, combined with the overflow coming apart from the pipe slightly. Luckily the plumber spotted it in 10 minutes.

Comment

In a case like this I can understand the leaseholder of the upper level flat not wishing to pay for further investigations into the cause of the leak if they believe that they have already paid for all relevant investigation into the situation and are therefore certain that the problem has not been caused by anything that they are responsible for.

The risk is that the cost of investigation work by the other leaseholder, or the freeholder, and the costs of any legal action, might be passed on to the leaseholder of the upper flat if it is later found that the source of the leak is their responsibility.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Leasehold remortgage
        by LC4OA
        I’m in the process of remortgaging my leasehold property. I’m in dispute with the managing agents over historic section 20 notice of intention failures for two sets of major works and for me not paying into a contingency fund, for which there is no provision in my lease. The arrears equal £3k....
        25-01-2020, 17:06 PM
      • Reply to Leasehold remortgage
        by LC4OA
        A reserve fund is for major works and is provided for in the lease. However, agents are trying to take £1500 for a contingency fund which they say covers risk assessments and surveys although assessments/surveys that have been undertaken have also been demanded under separate headings in service charge....
        25-01-2020, 23:31 PM
      • Help - Loft Demise - Lease - Trespassing??
        by Mrmckenzie74
        Hi all!

Hope you're all well?

I'm new here so I hope you don't mind my direct approach.
        I may be in a bit of a pickle and could really do with a bit of advice on the following...

Snap shot:

Top floor flat

Purpose built maisonettes...
        24-01-2020, 16:51 PM
      • Reply to Help - Loft Demise - Lease - Trespassing??
        by Mrmckenzie74
        ​​​​Are you sure on above, as Lawcruncher usually says if the hatch is in your flat, the loft belongs to you ( which I always disagree with.)

- Apologies, I said freeholder instead of leaseholder...

Regarding a hatch in your ceiling - where else can it be put. Build...
        25-01-2020, 22:54 PM
      • Section 20 Major Works: undisclosed connection between landlord and winning bidder
        by AB2017
        Hi, our landlord is running a section 20 consultation for a major works contract. He obtained three quotes, one very high, the second very slightly cheaper and the third very low. The third was disqualified, purportedly on the grounds that they must have misunderstood the job. The second bidder has...
        25-01-2020, 22:33 PM
      • Getting rid of a build in wardrobe
        by annaV
        Hi all,

I am in the process of buyig a leasefold flat (110 years remaining). The master bedroom has a build in wardrobe, which is shown on the footprint. The flat has a second box room, which I intend turning into a walk-in closet as I live on my own and have plenty of things I need to...
        25-01-2020, 14:12 PM
      • Reply to Getting rid of a build in wardrobe
        by scot22
        As a general rule I say always ask. Then you have been open and that should avoid any future problem. For any situation good communication is beneficial. If you ask before exchanging contracts and there are any issues you are forewarned and possibly negotiate price reduction.
        25-01-2020, 22:23 PM
      • Reply to Leasehold remortgage
        by AndrewDod
        What's the difference between a reserve fund (which you say you paid) and a contingency fund (which you say is not provided for in lease)?

Who else paid for stuff - we presume the other lessees in the building are out of pocket somehow?

What timescale -- was this 10 years ago,...
        25-01-2020, 20:57 PM
      • Directors Appointment and change of registered address
        by ZIGGYVIGGY
        Sequence of events:

2 directors ( both leaseholders) incorporated an RTM. RTM application was made successfully with support of 51 percent lease holders back in 2016

1. Freeholders managing agent was asked to leave. At this point reserves held were £55k and service charge...
        12-01-2020, 16:46 PM
      • Reply to Directors Appointment and change of registered address
        by ZIGGYVIGGY
        Mr.Soffit thanks again for the elaborate email and apologies for a delayed response.
        We are still waiting for the bank to revert. They say the new mandate is being processes. If the bank sorts this out in the next few days that will save us from pain of going thru setting up another account....
        25-01-2020, 20:33 PM
      Working...
      X