Can a situation exist where a property also owns the leasehold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can a situation exist where a property also owns the leasehold?

I don't know how best to explain this, but will give it a go...

I live in a leasehold property which is the first floor of a purpose built block of two (i.e. not a converted house). The ground floor property is owned by the freeholder.

Can there ever be a situation whereby the ground floor property is not leasehold, but is the freehold as well?

I have checked land registry (and would be happy to share) for the ground floor property and the title that I get when I pay my £3 is for the freehold for both buildings. In the section for "schedule of notice of leases" there is the information about my lease, but nothing for the ground floor property.

In this situation I would have expected to see a freehold (owned by the landlord) and then two leaseholds under the notice of leases (which I hold and one which the freeholder or another of his companies owns).

Have I missed something?

It is very common. Most ex-council blocks will be like this, unless everyone has exercised right to buy.

Comment

Thank you for your reply – so, if I may in my own situation, is there only one leaseholder and one freeholder (but two properties)?

Does this mean that I could force a sale of half of the freehold for example via enfranchisement (100% of the leaseholders would want this to happen, i.e. me) or am I missing something?
      Last edited by manchesterpat; 16-07-2019, 13:27 PM. Reason: confused leaseholder and freeholder in my reply

Comment

You meant 100% of the long leaseholders, I presume. I'm not sufficiently familiar with the edge cases of the law, but it would clearly be unfair to the existing freeholder if this were allowed.

Can you actually force a purchase in this case. I would have thought you only had first refusal rights, as the whole building is not your house.

Comment

Thanks again for your reply.

Unfortunately I have missed the boat on the first refusal - the property was transferred from the freeholder (own name) to a company in April 2017, which I found out about because I got an invoice with a new name. I thought the freeholder could do whatever he wanted with his property and never challenged this, and I think I only have 4 months from when I found this out to challenge this.

Comment

If as you say the property is not a conversion and is a purpose built block then it seems you have the right to enfranchise. This means you will own 100% of the freehold. The freeholder will have the right to a 999 year leaseback for their flat.

Are there any communal areas? Commercial areas?

May I ask your motivation for considering enfranchisement. Are you looking to extend your lease? Or perhaps you are not happy with the management?

Comment

Thank you for your reply vmart - could you point me in a direction where I can read more about this?

I think I have answered my own question about enfranchisement as the property doesn't qualify - two thirds of the properties in the block are not owned by qualifying tenants, only one (mine) as the other isn't on a lease, so it's only half of the properties in the block.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to RTM Service Charge Certificate
                by leaseholder64
                I think one of the problems with accountants is that their role of protecting the investors and customers has been replaced by one of finding ways to legally avoid providing any information to them. That may match the wants of many for profit businesses, but absolute openness should be the aim of RTMs....
                26-02-2020, 10:15 AM
              • RTM Service Charge Certificate
                by chris1544
                Hello,

I live in a block of two flats. We have an RTM company in place, self managing the building. Both leaseholders are directors of the RTM company. We are approaching the close of our service charge year and the lease requires that the service charge accounts be certified. Specifically...
                08-02-2020, 14:59 PM
              • Reply to Variation of lease
                by scampicat
                Thank you all for for your very helpful and informative advice. My husband and I will mull through the options later today....
                26-02-2020, 10:12 AM
              • Variation of lease
                by scampicat
                I own a flat with a lease of 125 years starting from 2012. The ground rent is at present £150 pa, but increases as follows every ten years: £225... .£337.50.... 506.25.... 759.38.... 1139.06.... 1708.59.... 2562.89 ....3844.34. There are no more increases after eighty years. I am considering a variation...
                25-02-2020, 08:57 AM
              • Reply to RTM Service Charge Certificate
                by chris1544
                Brilliant advice, thank you both, I really appreciate it. Yes to answer your question MrSoffit we are both actively involved in running the property and make decisions jointly. In fact, the service charge account is set up so that bank transfers can only be made if we both authorise them.
                26-02-2020, 09:37 AM
              • Reply to Leaseholder not paid s.20 charges
                by Emilycarter
                Thank you all once again. The s.20's were served correctly, other Leaseholders have paid and works completed. I do hope that Jericho's view is correct. They have not disputed or commented on the s.20 at all (as far as the Managing Agent tells us). If the recent service charge also remains unpaid...
                26-02-2020, 08:27 AM
              • Leaseholder not paid s.20 charges
                by Emilycarter
                Hi, I am a co-freeholder and one of the Leaseholders
                has not paid their charges for two sets of s.20 works. There is no dispute, managing agent has simply not received replies to emails and letters. We suspect the service charge recently issued will also remain unpaid.

Reading some...
                25-02-2020, 14:10 PM
              • Reply to Letting lease expire on share of freehold property
                by leaseholder64
                That depends on the company articles or on the trust deed, if tenants on common.

You might continue to own the share of the freehold, even though you had no leasehold interest in the flat, and couldn't legally, have possession of it.

My articles say that membership of the company...
                25-02-2020, 23:54 PM
              • Letting lease expire on share of freehold property
                by michelle230
                Apologies if silly question - I`m sure there is a very simple answer...

I`m curious as to what would happen in the above scenario where a person had a share of freehold in a block but let their lease expire. Would the flat then revert in ownership to the other shareholders, including the...
                25-02-2020, 19:00 PM
              • Reply to Letting lease expire on share of freehold property
                by michelle230
                Thanks Macromia - pure curiosity rather than an actual situation thank goodness.
                I know that lots of people think share of freehold automatically does away with short leases but of course that's not always the situation.
                25-02-2020, 22:45 PM
              Working...
              X