Can a situation exist where a property also owns the leasehold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• manchesterpat
    replied
    Thank you for your reply vmart - could you point me in a direction where I can read more about this?

I think I have answered my own question about enfranchisement as the property doesn't qualify - two thirds of the properties in the block are not owned by qualifying tenants, only one (mine) as the other isn't on a lease, so it's only half of the properties in the block.

Leave a comment:

• vmart
    replied
    If as you say the property is not a conversion and is a purpose built block then it seems you have the right to enfranchise. This means you will own 100% of the freehold. The freeholder will have the right to a 999 year leaseback for their flat.

Are there any communal areas? Commercial areas?

May I ask your motivation for considering enfranchisement. Are you looking to extend your lease? Or perhaps you are not happy with the management?

Leave a comment:

• manchesterpat
    replied
    Thanks again for your reply.

Unfortunately I have missed the boat on the first refusal - the property was transferred from the freeholder (own name) to a company in April 2017, which I found out about because I got an invoice with a new name. I thought the freeholder could do whatever he wanted with his property and never challenged this, and I think I only have 4 months from when I found this out to challenge this.

Leave a comment:

• leaseholder64
    replied
    You meant 100% of the long leaseholders, I presume. I'm not sufficiently familiar with the edge cases of the law, but it would clearly be unfair to the existing freeholder if this were allowed.

Can you actually force a purchase in this case. I would have thought you only had first refusal rights, as the whole building is not your house.

Leave a comment:

• manchesterpat
    replied
    Thank you for your reply – so, if I may in my own situation, is there only one leaseholder and one freeholder (but two properties)?

Does this mean that I could force a sale of half of the freehold for example via enfranchisement (100% of the leaseholders would want this to happen, i.e. me) or am I missing something?
    Last edited by manchesterpat; 16-07-2019, 13:27 PM. Reason: confused leaseholder and freeholder in my reply

Leave a comment:

• leaseholder64
    replied
    It is very common. Most ex-council blocks will be like this, unless everyone has exercised right to buy.

Leave a comment:

• Can a situation exist where a property also owns the leasehold?

I don't know how best to explain this, but will give it a go...

I live in a leasehold property which is the first floor of a purpose built block of two (i.e. not a converted house). The ground floor property is owned by the freeholder.

Can there ever be a situation whereby the ground floor property is not leasehold, but is the freehold as well?

I have checked land registry (and would be happy to share) for the ground floor property and the title that I get when I pay my £3 is for the freehold for both buildings. In the section for "schedule of notice of leases" there is the information about my lease, but nothing for the ground floor property.

In this situation I would have expected to see a freehold (owned by the landlord) and then two leaseholds under the notice of leases (which I hold and one which the freeholder or another of his companies owns).

Have I missed something?

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Freehold title in lease
    by Lawcruncher
    There is nothing to worry about as your lease is registered. The likely explanation is that when the lease was granted the freehold title out of which the lease was granted contained more land than it does today.

Example:

Freeholder owns 23 and 25 Oaktree Lane registered under...
    16-02-2020, 18:19 PM
  • Freehold title in lease
    by propertyboy
    Hi All,

In my long leasehold lease the landlords title number does not match the title number in the freehold offical copy.

The freehold title is registered on land registry and my lease title number is shown on this freehold title BUT on the lease it has a freehold title number...
    16-02-2020, 15:06 PM
  • Section 20 and roof leak - paying into costs myself
    by KS2
    Hi, I am a leaseholder in a RTM company (and also currently its secretary) and we organised some roof repairs 1.5 years ago under section 20 consultation. Storm Dennis has exposed that there are still some water ingress problems.

The problem is that we are in the middle of selling our flat...
    16-02-2020, 11:42 AM
  • Reply to Section 20 and roof leak - paying into costs myself
    by KS2
    Yes. 100%. Our upstairs neighbours are very annoyed about the ingress (understandably). Work has been done in recent years on the roof (9 years ago) and the chimneys (2 years ago)). It was believed all problems had been fixed but the storms have revealed water entry problems for 2 of the flats and the...
    16-02-2020, 17:47 PM
  • Service charges
    by Paulsen
    In my lease the Accounting Period is “the period of twelve months ending on the 23rd day of June each year”

The interim charge will be paid on the 24th June and 25th December in each year

Does this mean my year starts on the 24th of June with the budget for the year payable...
    15-02-2020, 17:13 PM
  • Reply to Service charges
    by Paulsen
    Because the builders estimate for major works was over estimated with £2500, so my service charge account should be in credit and it goes towards expenditure for the following year as my lease doesn’t have a sinking fund.
    16-02-2020, 17:16 PM
  • Reply to Service charges
    by AndrewDod
    Why do you think you have a personal credit?

They should have issued demands as the lease says it should have been done.

Everything else depends on your lease including the payment date, and the ability to charge estimated costs in advance....
    16-02-2020, 16:12 PM
  • Reserve Fund Contributions
    by Mag20
    Some great advice here so thought I would post my question and see what others think and any advice you can offer.

We live in a block of 50-60 flats and pay a monthly Service Charge which includes a contribution to the Reserve Fund. Freeholder and Managing Agent have recently realised the...
    15-02-2020, 23:30 PM
  • Reply to Reserve Fund Contributions
    by AndrewDod
    Show me the lines in law, RICS guidance or your lease which say that all money for all works (or indeed any money at all) has to be funded upfront via "adequate financial planning". This might be the way you want the world to be but it is not (and if future works had already been pre-funded...
    16-02-2020, 15:40 PM
  • Reply to Section 20 and roof leak - paying into costs myself
    by AndrewDod
    If you were not selling, would these exact works, to the exact extent be carried out at this exact time?
    16-02-2020, 15:35 PM
Working...
X