Ousting failing RTM co

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ousting failing RTM co

As a Freeholder of a property (converted listed building 4 flats 1 shop) that I purchased with an RTM Co in place , I am having serious issues with the single director of the RTM which is failing to maintain the property or comply with H&S legislation, he has also refused to allow me to be a member of the company. The other Lessees don't help much as they are all absent landlords happy to pay no service charge while the building disintegrates.
    Advice from the official government supported website (lease-advice) is that a Landlord can apply to FTT to oust a failing RTM using the "appoint a manager" process, but the FTT are telling me only a lessee can apply.
    Anyone had any experience in similar situation or suggestions ??

Dear Section 20z

When the RTM was acquired the RTM company should have invited the landlord to become a member. I suggest, if possible, you make enquiries with the former freeholder and find out if this was done. If not, and you can prove it, the RTM might be invalid (you would need legal advice).

I am not sure if a landlord can apply to be a member of the RTM further along the line but it would be worth checking.

The problem is if you were a member you will be out voted as you will only have one vote. Though I am not clear how many members of the RTM there are as you refer to one director; and lessees that are not motivated.

Even if you could apply to appoint a manager I would not recommend this. The route does not give you any control either. Control passes to the FTT appointed manager and costs can significantly increase though usually for leaseholders.

The RTM does have a duty to inform you in relation to certain matters for example consents. The leases still need to be complied with too.
    You still retain responsibility for landlord’s covenants outside of day-to-day management. You also retain the right to forfeiture and only you can take action.

So find out exactly what information a freeholder is entitled to and write to the RTM accordingly. If there are issues with individual flats in relation to breaches of lease, this might provide a route to you applying pressure.

Incidentally non-residential parts of the building are not included in RTM.

Overall, I would suggest you speak with a solicitor because this is a complex area now that there is an RTM in place. Some solicitors are willing to provide some information before you instruct them and start incurring fees.

(Ground rent is still yours to demand and collect)

Comment

Thanks #vsmart , I think the RTM could be invalid for a number of reasons, I have requested certain information from the RTM and been ignored so might have to go to my Solicitor.
      (I think there should be 6 members including me but they won't provide that info either !)
      Thanks for input - all useful.

Comment

I don't think http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...agraph/26/made allows a valid application to be refused.

Also the quorum for directors' meetings has to be at least two.

However, in this case, as the RTM is currently the responsible person for H&S, it might be worth considering trying to get enforcement action taken against the company for the breaches. Unfortunately, government austerity may mean that this is more difficult than it ought to be.

Although the freeholder could become a director, even without being a member, RTMs are normally set up because of dislike of freeholder, so they are unlikely to give a freeholder more than the minimum power.

You could also try to convince the other lessees that there is a point where being a slum affects the value of their property (although my experience is that is way beyond the point where owner occupiers would be seriously concerned.

Comment

Even if you are not a member, they must provide you with the list of members. If you are a member, you can inspect it free of charge. If not there is a small charge they can make for inspection. You need to make the request in the right way. They can only refuse by obtaining a court order, which they wouldn't get and the penny pinching lessees wouldn't want to pay for. There is a charge for everyone if you want them to supply copies, but it is not very large, in the scheme of things.

If you can document an invalid refusal, it would be worth contacting the breaches team at Companies House, to see if they can remind the director of the law.

Comment

As it’s a mixed use building, I take it the commercial element is less that 25 % of floor area?

Comment

Thanks, I will contact companies house breaches and see if they will put any pressure on.
              The shop lessee and one other are also concerned about the condition and long term impact so might be persuaded to join me in becoming directors.
              The commercial part is way more than 25%.

Comment

if the commercial area takes up more than 25% total Floor area...

below taken from this website
                https://www.bradysolicitors.com/brad...ght-to-manage/

This is a key criteria for RTM and one that isn’t always easy to assess. If the commercial / residential split isn’t clear, you may need to get expert opinion on the internal floor area.

When calculating the commercial percentage, an assessor will include any dividing walls to the commercial unit and also any commercial car parking spaces. Balconies however will not be included.

Whilst the burden of proof rests with the landlord, if he can provide evidence that there is at least 26% commercial tenancy, the RTM will not be possible.

Comment

Indeed, but there already is an RTM so back to the original question. How do I oust them ?

Originally posted by desamax View Post
                  if the commercial area takes up more than 25% total Floor area...

below taken from this website
                  https://www.bradysolicitors.com/brad...ght-to-manage/

This is a key criteria for RTM and one that isn’t always easy to assess. If the commercial / residential split isn’t clear, you may need to get expert opinion on the internal floor area.

When calculating the commercial percentage, an assessor will include any dividing walls to the commercial unit and also any commercial car parking spaces. Balconies however will not be included.

Whilst the burden of proof rests with the landlord, if he can provide evidence that there is at least 26% commercial tenancy, the RTM will not be possible.

Comment

Surely the argument should be they had no rights to form one?
                    if my memory serves me they could only have formed an RTA.

Comment

Correct, they had no right to take over the management but sadly that knowledge gets us no nearer to resolving the situation 😐

Comment

Have you taken any advice on all of the above ?

Comment

If these are flats over commercial premises, the fire brigade may actually be interested in pro-active auditing of fire safety, as such arrangements are considered high risk. Maybe get legal advice, but it does seem to me that the RTM is the one that would get the enforcement notices.

Comment

Not a bad shout ! I've tried the LA who aren't interested despite letting licences being required in the area .
                            My slight reluctance is it's not 100% certain that H&S obligations fall to RTM and it might come back to bite me !! Fire brigade will have no hesitation in closing down the property and I might end up paying hotel bills for the lot of 'em 😕
                            Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
                            If these are flats over commercial premises, the fire brigade may actually be interested in pro-active auditing of fire safety, as such arrangements are considered high risk. Maybe get legal advice, but it does seem to me that the RTM is the one that would get the enforcement notices.

Comment

Originally posted by vmart View Post
                              Even if you could apply to appoint a manager I would not recommend this. The route does not give you any control either.
                              The reason to have a Manger appointed, is because
                              "the RTM is failing to maintain the property", that is why the RTM has to be removed / changed, etc.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Lease extension not on Land Registry
                                JasUK
                                Hi,
                                I went to view a property which I am really interested in. I have a few issues I'd really appreciate some advice on:

1. The estate agent told me the lease is 150 years. I downloaded the title deed from the Land Registry. This states that the term of the lease is 99 years from...
                                13-10-2019, 12:27 PM
                              • Reply to Lease extension not on Land Registry
                                Gordon999
                                You and your solicitor should look at the terms of the new 150 years lease before you decide to buy.
                                19-10-2019, 00:40 AM
                              • Director of management company no longer an owner
                                oregano76
                                Hi, I am the secretary of the management company of a small block of 6 flats. The 6 owners are all directors. However, one of directors has transferred their ownership to their adult children, for tax purposes I imagine. However, she continues to live their and pay the bills etc (she is nice, and there...
                                18-10-2019, 17:29 PM
                              • Reply to Director of management company no longer an owner
                                ram
                                As above post number 2.

Never, ever make an incoming leaseholder automatically a Director unless the Articles say so.

Did the outgoing director ask your permission to assign the lease to his daughter, and was permission granted by you, acting for the company ?
                                If not,
                                18-10-2019, 23:35 PM
                              • Block Management Surplus Funds
                                ehood
                                Hello All,

Sorry if this isn`t the right place to post this but I am starting a block management company and am wondering what I do at the end of the year with any surplus service charge funds?

Thanks
                                18-10-2019, 14:24 PM
                              • Reply to Block Management Surplus Funds
                                ram
                                If you mean you have a surplus of "Service charge funds" which usually means you projected the forthcoming yearly maintenance costs, asked for the money, but the actual quotes and finished jobs were less than you estimated, then you either, write a cheque to the leaseholder, and give them...
                                18-10-2019, 23:24 PM
                              • Section 20 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 + Maintenance works?
                                ospreygnd
                                Hi all,

Not sure if I am posting in the right forums section.
                                Basically I had a letter from our Council advising they are considering necessary works on the block of flats (6 flat in all) where my property is at.
                                Total cost of improvements for the block is over £140k of which...
                                18-10-2019, 18:19 PM
                              • Reply to Section 20 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 + Maintenance works?
                                ram
                                A perspective.

Maintenance of flats ( the building, drive, walls, gardens, gutters, roofs, cladding, drains, etc, ) will be more than £ 50 per month for 6 flats. ( £ 600 per year each ) That's only £ 3600 income P.A.
                                To insure ( £1200 ), and Management fees ( £ 900 ) leaves
                                18-10-2019, 22:40 PM
                              • Liability for costs?
                                Harwood
                                I live in a block of four flats, 2 ground floor, 2 first floor.
                                The other 3 flats share a communal hallway/stairs, we have a private entrance ( a maisonette i believe - why do i feel all Hyacinth Bouquet!)

Anyway, within my lease i have no covenant giving me any kind of responsibility...
                                18-10-2019, 19:18 PM
                              • Reply to Liability for costs?
                                ram
                                This happened to some of our leases.
                                These were all typed on a type writer, every one, so therefore no just changing the names, flat numbers and dates on your word processor.
                                Same leases, but when copy typed, some had minor omissions.
                                If you have ever copy typed a document that is...
                                18-10-2019, 21:47 PM
                              Working...
                              X