Freehold valuation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freehold valuation

Trying to find somebody to carry out the freehold valuation.

So far no luck, any recommendations?
    Thanks

Recommendations are against forum rules.

Check the RICs website. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and select the 'Find a Surveyor' link. Enter your postcode to populate the page with a list of surveyors near you.

Comment

I did, tried several people - 0 reply.

Comment

I am surprised but you will just have to google or check online directories for surveyors in your area. Sorry, I cannot be of more help but there are plenty of surveyors offering freehold valuations.

Comment

There are lots of people who do valuations. As soon as you mention freehold - we will come back to you and they are still coming back.

I'm really wondering if it is really worth to have it valued.

Comment

May I ask why you need the valuation?

TRY THIS: telephone a solicitor that deals with enfranchisement (google 'enfranchisement solicitor' and put in your postcode). Call them and ask if they can recommend a surveyor specializing in valuing freeholds.

Comment

Thank you for the advice. We basically know the price range of the freehold, it is more to validate it as an asset and to see if the value of it will be affected by actual state of the property.

Comment

Hi Anna

You could try searching for desktop valuations of freehold. This service would be adequate for valuation purposes though not suitable re condition which would require a site survey. Nevertheless, speak with a company offering desktop valuations and ask them if condition impacts on value of freehold to decide if this route (which is much cheaper) is suitable.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna1985 View Post
                  Thank you for the advice. We basically know the price range of the freehold, it is more to validate it as an asset and to see if the value of it will be affected by actual state of the property.
                  Unless the leases require the freeholder to maintain the building without allowing them to recover the costs from leaseholders, or the building is in such a poor state of repair that repair costs are likely to be deemed irrecoverable and thus fall on the freeholder, I doubt that the value of the freehold will be affected by the state of the property - it would have to be in a very poor state for that.

More important considerations for the valuation are the length of the leases (i.e. whether premiums are likely to be paid for extending them), and the amount of ground rent/ commercial rent that can be collected.

Comment

Originally posted by Macromia View Post

More important considerations for the valuation are the length of the leases (i.e. whether premiums are likely to be paid for extending them), and the amount of ground rent/ commercial rent that can be collected.
                    Thanks for advice. It is such a strange time

Comment

Are you looking for enfranchisement of a leasehold house uder the 1967Act ? or enfranchisement for block of flats under the 1993 Housing Act.?

You can download free guides to valuation for both situations from www.lease-advice.org

Comment

No, we are negotiating informally.

Comment

You are always advised to enfranchaise formally rather than informally. It may cost you more in fees (you have to pay both sides)
                          You need to make very sure that no onerous terms are cleverly sneaked into your new lease/variation. Also a good enfranchisement solicitor may be able to negotiate to remove any unpleasant clauses e.g. permission fees.Are you going for the statutory 90 years increase?
                          PM me if you want more details.

Comment

Originally posted by michelle230 View Post
                            You are always advised to enfranchaise formally rather than informally. It may cost you more in fees (you have to pay both sides.
                            I agree with michelle, you need to be very careful with informal lease extensions. Although the price that you are quoted may be cheaper, the actual cost may be far more in the long term.
                            As an example (and without quoting exact details) both my neighbour and I extended our leases within two year of each other. My neighbour negotiated an informal extension which added 35 years to the term of the lease but increased the ground rent payable to £200 per annum - increasing by a further £200 per annum every 25 years for the remaining term of the new lease.
                            My extension via the formal route gave me an additional 90 years on the lease, at a peppercorn (zero) ground rent, for a premium that was about 30% higher than my neighbour paid. The additional premium I paid is the equivalent of less than 30 years of the ground rent the owner of my neighbours lease will be paying, and they will have to pay a considerable further premium to increase the length of the lease to anything like the term I now have.

Of course, your circumstances might make a difference. My neighbour was intending to sell, and most buyers don't give much consideration to how much the ground rent is or what it might cost to extend a lease in the future.

Comment

We are buying freehold, there is no change of leases, apart from maybe extending them in one transaction to save on legal costs in the future

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Underlet registration fee
                                Relentlessuk
                                hi,

My freehold management company, also known as the Devil, {Mod - name removed}, are requesting an £138 underlet registration fee from me. I realise its been discussed umpteen times but thought if I post the clause (attached) they are relying upon I might find someone with a better mind...
                                02-08-2019, 19:02 PM
                              • Reply to Underlet registration fee
                                eagle2
                                The solicitors are correct, the LVT does not have the power because it ceased to exist in June 2013.

The FTT would also not have the jurisdiction to consider the charge because it is not a variable administration charge, you have the right to choose a fixed fee of £5 as stated by Lawcruncher...
                                20-08-2019, 04:47 AM
                              • HELP - lease clause
                                Jake0254
                                Hello

Im due to complete on Monday which is the scariest part of this. I have a house cat. My lease is POORLY worded with a clause that says:

" No pets may be kept in a flat and where the property is a house you must not keep any animal including livestock except a pet...
                                16-08-2019, 23:15 PM
                              • Reply to HELP - lease clause
                                HazeltonLane
                                The property agent told you you can get consent for a house cat.

Your solicitor told you the lease says cats can be kept with consent.

The HA told you that they would grant permission pending the information provided. Presumably they want to reserve the right to refuse if you...
                                20-08-2019, 01:17 AM
                                leaseholder64
                                The power seems to have existed since September 2004, which is before the FTT replaced the LVT (Commonhold and Leasehold Reform Act 2002, Schedule 11).
                                19-08-2019, 21:27 PM
                                Jake0254
                                Yes that’s right, he interprets it the same way as the HA do - the HA have clarified their position that it is, in their opinion, a blanket ban on pets in flats. The solicitor would therefore then argue that such a term would be considered unfair and therefore not legally binding....
                                19-08-2019, 20:55 PM
                                Jake0254
                                I have already researched that case actually - the question in that case is whether the management company was reasonable in its refusal. This is quite different to this situation, whereby a blanket ban (which the HA are implying they have) allows no potential special circumstances to be taken into...
                                19-08-2019, 20:52 PM
                                Relentlessuk
                                Well its been two weeks and they still haven't responded to my request for the freeholders solicitors details. we shall see what happens....

they did send previously a templated response saying that "the LVT does not have power to rule that a registration fee is unreasonable"....
                                19-08-2019, 19:36 PM
                                Macromia
                                My comment regarding livestock was intended to be tongue in cheek!
                                I think that you'd have to be more specific than "indoors" though - factory farmed livestock might not see anything other than the inside of a building until loaded into a cramped truck to be taken for slaughter.
                                19-08-2019, 18:29 PM
                                AndrewDod
                                I tried to post a bunch of medical links on the health effects of cats in buildings to others in the building. But seemingly if you have more than a few links your post gets killed.

Anyway, I'm with jpkeates (and most others) on this one. Perhaps OPs solicitor will help out with the 70K...
                                19-08-2019, 16:34 PM
                              Working...
                              X