Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flat Sale -Held over a Barrel by my Managing Agent and their Solicitors

Hi everyone,
    I am currently selling my flat. Offer accepted 1st April Completion due around 2nd August.
    I have been paying my service charge by DD for 11 years. 2 years ago a new management agent took over and I paid my service charge in a Lump sum.
    This year I was sent my annual invoice and I requested to DD Mandate ( I chased them for it) I sent it back, but nothing taken from my account. I received an arrears statement 10 days after payment was due I emailed them and they claimed they had not received the DD Mandate so I cleared the month via Bank Transfer which was received. I sent in a second DD which was also not logged at their end. I made another bank transfer. As I was coming to a good point with my buyers I was looking at changing my bank in advance of my new situation so I continued to pay via bank transfer.
    Basically I have paid the first three months of my service charge (4th payment due tomorrow.) as soon as my solicitor started sending enquiries concerning my sale, they told him I was in arrears and the matter had been sent to their retrieval solicitors to deal with and they were unable to respond to hm. The later that day retracted the email saying they were mistaken and my account was not in the hands of a lawyer. I contacted them immediately asking them why was in arrears and why I hadn't been sent notice previously. they said that bank transfer is not a form of payment they accept despite accepting my payments, and despite their now website listing bank transfer as an acceptable form of payment method. I had been back and forward with them on email with no one giving me any real answers, just stating I was in arrears and I owed them £1800 the outstanding payments for the 9 months and £250 in charges. I heard nothing back. 10 days later I receive an email from their solicitors demanding £3179.11 0 no breakdown of charges just the figure. I asked what the charges are for and why this was being serve as I outlined that as far as I was concerned I was not in arrears and I wanted someone to discuss this with me. The management company are refusing to discuss with me as they say my file is closed and with their solicitors. their solicitors just maintain the line that I am in arrears and I have 7 days to pay. I have spoken with their solicitors and have now started the complaint procedure against my management agent. In the meantime, my sale is in jeopardy and my completion date may be held up.
    I have an appointment with LEASE tomorrow, but just hoped for any advise out there. Should I pay the service charge £1800 and then dispute the charges separately.

thanks

I would cancel any direct debits or standing orders which you may have. I would then pay by cheque all service charges up to the date of sale indicating on the back of the cheque what it is for. I would add in a covering letter that the cheque may not be accepted for any other purpose. I would obtain a receipt of posting from the post office.

You can then produce to your solicitor a copy of the letter, a copy of the cheque and a copy of the proof of posting.

I would then ask the RMC to withdraw the administration charges otherwise I would apply to the FTT to determine whether or not they are payable and if so, whether or not they are reasonable. You need to start the application whilst you are a leaseholder ie a party to the lease and before completion of the sale.

The complaints procedure against the MA will probably not lead anywhere, the RMC is charging you, the MA is acting only as agent and the Ombudsman will not normally interfere with the legal process.

Comment

The OP Is up against a time limit. If he challenges, the buyer's solicitor will almost certainly advise the buyer to pull out.

Comment

If you have been paying by DD then the legal principle of Estoppel applies..i.e they have happily been accepting payments upto now..but as mentioned.this doesnt help if you are in a hurry to resolve this.
        Advice given is based on my experience representing myself as a leaseholder both in the County Court and at Leasehold Valuation Tribunals.

I do not accept any liability to you in relation to the advice given.

It is always recommended you seek further advice from a solicitor or legal expert.

Always read your lease first, it is the legally binding contract between leaseholder and freeholder.

Comment

I would send any payments etc. (post ~2 refers) by Special Delivery.

Comment

You may need to agree to your solicitor withholding from the sale proceeds the amount of the charges pending the FTT decision. That should satisfy the buyer.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Lease extension not on Land Registry
              JasUK
              Hi,
              I went to view a property which I am really interested in. I have a few issues I'd really appreciate some advice on:

1. The estate agent told me the lease is 150 years. I downloaded the title deed from the Land Registry. This states that the term of the lease is 99 years from...
              13-10-2019, 12:27 PM
            • Reply to Lease extension not on Land Registry
              Gordon999
              You and your solicitor should look at the terms of the new 150 years lease before you decide to buy.
              19-10-2019, 00:40 AM
            • Director of management company no longer an owner
              oregano76
              Hi, I am the secretary of the management company of a small block of 6 flats. The 6 owners are all directors. However, one of directors has transferred their ownership to their adult children, for tax purposes I imagine. However, she continues to live their and pay the bills etc (she is nice, and there...
              18-10-2019, 17:29 PM
            • Reply to Director of management company no longer an owner
              ram
              As above post number 2.

Never, ever make an incoming leaseholder automatically a Director unless the Articles say so.

Did the outgoing director ask your permission to assign the lease to his daughter, and was permission granted by you, acting for the company ?
              If not,
              18-10-2019, 23:35 PM
            • Block Management Surplus Funds
              ehood
              Hello All,

Sorry if this isn`t the right place to post this but I am starting a block management company and am wondering what I do at the end of the year with any surplus service charge funds?

Thanks
              18-10-2019, 14:24 PM
            • Reply to Block Management Surplus Funds
              ram
              If you mean you have a surplus of "Service charge funds" which usually means you projected the forthcoming yearly maintenance costs, asked for the money, but the actual quotes and finished jobs were less than you estimated, then you either, write a cheque to the leaseholder, and give them...
              18-10-2019, 23:24 PM
            • Section 20 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 + Maintenance works?
              ospreygnd
              Hi all,

Not sure if I am posting in the right forums section.
              Basically I had a letter from our Council advising they are considering necessary works on the block of flats (6 flat in all) where my property is at.
              Total cost of improvements for the block is over £140k of which...
              18-10-2019, 18:19 PM
            • Reply to Section 20 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 + Maintenance works?
              ram
              A perspective.

Maintenance of flats ( the building, drive, walls, gardens, gutters, roofs, cladding, drains, etc, ) will be more than £ 50 per month for 6 flats. ( £ 600 per year each ) That's only £ 3600 income P.A.
              To insure ( £1200 ), and Management fees ( £ 900 ) leaves
              18-10-2019, 22:40 PM
            • Liability for costs?
              Harwood
              I live in a block of four flats, 2 ground floor, 2 first floor.
              The other 3 flats share a communal hallway/stairs, we have a private entrance ( a maisonette i believe - why do i feel all Hyacinth Bouquet!)

Anyway, within my lease i have no covenant giving me any kind of responsibility...
              18-10-2019, 19:18 PM
            • Reply to Liability for costs?
              ram
              This happened to some of our leases.
              These were all typed on a type writer, every one, so therefore no just changing the names, flat numbers and dates on your word processor.
              Same leases, but when copy typed, some had minor omissions.
              If you have ever copy typed a document that is...
              18-10-2019, 21:47 PM
            Working...
            X