service charge deficit demand

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

service charge deficit demand

Hello Guys, what would you advise regarding a service charge deficit I received today being demanded today for a period before I bought the property?

You need to pay it. If this relates to an underpayment that the seller failed to disclose, you might then be able to sue the seller. If you mean a balancing charge because the payment on account was insufficient, you probably have no-one but yourself to blame, for not investigating the service charge finances adequately.

The only exception might be if managing agent provided false information in relation to relevant questions on the solicitors' enquiries.

Comment

It depends on the amount and the reason for the deficit. If it is a large amount which the landlord or its agent should have been aware of when your solicitor was making enquiries, it should have been disclosed at the time and your solicitor should have withheld monies from the purchase price.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
        You need to pay it. If this relates to an underpayment that the seller failed to disclose, you might then be able to sue the seller. If you mean a balancing charge because the payment on account was insufficient, you probably have no-one but yourself to blame, for not investigating the service charge finances adequately.

The only exception might be if managing agent provided false information in relation to relevant questions on the solicitors' enquiries.
        Thanks leaseholder64. Is it typical for a charge to be issued and demanded on the same day? What happens if I don't pay it today?

Comment

Looking at my lease, it appears I have 21 days...so, why would they demand payment the same day?
          Attached Files

Comment

You have 21 days to pay from the date of the demand, so 21 days from today.

Comment

Thanks for confirming, eagle2.

Comment

Just to update this thread. My solicitor has advised that because the service charge is for a period before completion, it is the seller's responsibility; hence they have reached out to the seller's solicitors regarding the service charge. I don't know how this will get paid so I will update again once I know.

Comment

Your solicitor should have withheld monies pending receipt of the accounts.

Comment

Originally posted by eagle2 View Post
                    Your solicitor should have withheld monies pending receipt of the accounts.
                    Thanks eagle2. Could you elaborate a bit more on the "solicitor should have withheld monies pending receipt of the accounts"? Which monies and which receipt of accounts are you referring to? Thanks

Comment

What he means is that, until the final amount due is known the solicitor should have kept some money, in the client money account, to pay for anything that the seller was still chargeable, and only pay the balance to the seller when everything was finalised.

Comment

Thanks LH64

Comment

Thanks for clarifying leaseholder64.

Comment

My solicitor has confirmed that the previous seller has just paid the outstanding service charge deficit demand and here is my advise.... If anyone is in a similar situation where they just bought a property and you receive a service charge deficit demand shortly after exchange/completion, do not pay it. It is the previous seller's responsibility so get your solicitor chasing this.
                            Attached Files

Comment

You are fortunate, the vendor could have disappeared without trace. The best advice is for your solicitor to enquire if there is going to be a service charge deficit and to withhold monies from the sale proceeds.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Secret commissions
                                Stacker
                                The issue of freeholders and managing agents fiddling insurance commissions at leaseholders’ expense was raised in the Times earlier this month.

Sir Peter, 74, said that secret commissions were part of a broader pattern of mistreatment of leaseholders. “Those receiving cowboy commissions...
                                18-07-2019, 20:27 PM
                              • Reply to Secret commissions
                                michelle230
                                I have a copy of my policy but often you won't be given it. Or you may just get the page showing basic insurance details of your particular block but not the full policy details.
                                I was told my F/H doesn't add on commission but I dont believe that. There's so many ways they can inflate the cost....
                                21-07-2019, 23:47 PM
                              • Lord Best report
                                michelle230
                                For anyone interested -

Chapter 6 focus on Leasehold..

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...g-group-report
                                18-07-2019, 12:46 PM
                              • Reply to Lord Best report
                                michelle230
                                Desamax - did you maybe mean "invariably" lol...
                                21-07-2019, 22:27 PM
                                Leaseholdscandal
                                Could you please expand more about LKP. Leasehold Knowledge Partnership have been instrumental in the leasehold reform work....
                                21-07-2019, 22:18 PM
                                desamax
                                Someone will already have worked out that there are profits to be made from buying leaseholds from overly pessimistic owners at distressed prices, holding them for a couple of years and then enfranchising. I don’t think we have heard the end of the scandal yet.
                                Rather, we are about to see one...
                                21-07-2019, 21:49 PM
                                desamax
                                LKP have some interesting proposals on common hold, they have helped and advised leaseholders Change to common hold that indecently works far better than leasehold worldwide.
                                If anyone wants to direct any concerns their way I sure they will put you in the picture.

https://www.lea...
                                21-07-2019, 21:37 PM
                                Stacker
                                Secret profit commissions are a criminal offence under the Bribery Act 2010 and if an insurance broker is found to be liable, the courts may also charge the Directors and other Officers of the company. Therefore, there is an added incentive for insurance brokerage firms to tighten up their systems and...
                                21-07-2019, 20:04 PM
                                Stacker
                                Secret profit commissions are a criminal offence under the Bribery Act 2010 and if an insurance broker is found to be liable, the courts may also charge the Directors and other Officers of the company. Therefore, there is an added incentive for insurance brokerage firms to tighten up their systems and...
                                21-07-2019, 19:57 PM
                                Stacker
                                Bribery ACT 2019 Commission

Can a payment of commission be classed as a bribe under the Act? In situations where a party has a conflict of interest and accepts a commission on the basis that he or she will improperly direct more business to a party, yes it can. An example of this could arise...
                                21-07-2019, 19:42 PM
                              Working...
                              X