Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leak from upstairs flat

Good morning

Tenants have just noticed tonight that there is a crack in the ceiling in the living room through which water has been leaking. Crack was not there previously. Tenants have spoken to the people in the flat upstairs and it appears they had been using the shower at the time – they are going to contact their landlord as well. This is a new one for me – what would you recommend? Get my contractor to take a look with the permission of upstairs occupants? Wait for their landlord to do something? Contact the Building Management Company? And finally, who pays? Welcome any advice or suggestions – thanks a lot.

You pay, unless the landlord or tenant upstairs has been negligent (and you can prove that or they agree).
    The tenants upstairs should stop using the shower, otherwise, future damage would almost certainly be negligent.

You probably can't do anything in practice if the property upstairs isn't yours.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

The leaseholder of the above flat should be dealing with this, not you, as if you employ your own person their may be bias seen. Who ever is employed should look at the root cause of the issue and fix this.

The building Management, may instruct their own person, but if the liability is not for them they will charge the flat(s) which are liable. The main reason to involve the management co. is to for them to get hold of the leaseholder who owns the property if you do not have the details to inform them of the issue.

You would not be able to fix the flat above and then charge them, the flat is not yours. I would get a quote for your damage if any (painting, wall paper etc) so you can bill the leaseholder for this. If you have contents insurance you can make a claim and let the insurance company deal with the flat above.

It would also be a good opportunity to remind your tenants, if had been worse, and their personal belongs were damaged, destroyed you would not be held liable and they should take out their own insure for their items.

Comment

Very helpful - thanks. I have written to the management co. and to my own tenants.

Comment

The leaseholder of the flat above will be within their rights to ignore any bill you send them for your repairs. As previously said, there has to be negligence before they are liable to pay.

Also note that this is the wrong forum. As posed, it is a Long Leasehold question although the Insurance forum has two sticky threads on the subject.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Secret commissions
            Stacker
            The issue of freeholders and managing agents fiddling insurance commissions at leaseholders’ expense was raised in the Times earlier this month.

Sir Peter, 74, said that secret commissions were part of a broader pattern of mistreatment of leaseholders. “Those receiving cowboy commissions...
            18-07-2019, 20:27 PM
          • Reply to Secret commissions
            michelle230
            I have a copy of my policy but often you won't be given it. Or you may just get the page showing basic insurance details of your particular block but not the full policy details.
            I was told my F/H doesn't add on commission but I dont believe that. There's so many ways they can inflate the cost....
            21-07-2019, 23:47 PM
          • Lord Best report
            michelle230
            For anyone interested -

Chapter 6 focus on Leasehold..

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...g-group-report
            18-07-2019, 12:46 PM
          • Reply to Lord Best report
            michelle230
            Desamax - did you maybe mean "invariably" lol...
            21-07-2019, 22:27 PM
            Leaseholdscandal
            Could you please expand more about LKP. Leasehold Knowledge Partnership have been instrumental in the leasehold reform work....
            21-07-2019, 22:18 PM
            desamax
            Someone will already have worked out that there are profits to be made from buying leaseholds from overly pessimistic owners at distressed prices, holding them for a couple of years and then enfranchising. I don’t think we have heard the end of the scandal yet.
            Rather, we are about to see one...
            21-07-2019, 21:49 PM
            desamax
            LKP have some interesting proposals on common hold, they have helped and advised leaseholders Change to common hold that indecently works far better than leasehold worldwide.
            If anyone wants to direct any concerns their way I sure they will put you in the picture.

https://www.lea...
            21-07-2019, 21:37 PM
            Stacker
            Secret profit commissions are a criminal offence under the Bribery Act 2010 and if an insurance broker is found to be liable, the courts may also charge the Directors and other Officers of the company. Therefore, there is an added incentive for insurance brokerage firms to tighten up their systems and...
            21-07-2019, 20:04 PM
            Stacker
            Secret profit commissions are a criminal offence under the Bribery Act 2010 and if an insurance broker is found to be liable, the courts may also charge the Directors and other Officers of the company. Therefore, there is an added incentive for insurance brokerage firms to tighten up their systems and...
            21-07-2019, 19:57 PM
            Stacker
            Bribery ACT 2019 Commission

Can a payment of commission be classed as a bribe under the Act? In situations where a party has a conflict of interest and accepts a commission on the basis that he or she will improperly direct more business to a party, yes it can. An example of this could arise...
            21-07-2019, 19:42 PM
          Working...
          X