Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CMA investigation into leaselhold

George Lusty, Senior Director for Consumer Enforcement, said:
    Buying a home is one of the most expensive and important purchases a person can make. So, it’s essential they fully understand the contract they are signing – including whether they will have to pay more than they bargained for.
    Our investigation will shed light on potential misleading practices and unfair terms to help better protect people buying a home in future.
    The CMA is writing to companies across the sector – including developers, lenders and freeholders – requiring information to understand more about how leaseholds are sold and managed, and the terms their contracts contain. It also wants to understand the impact such practices have on homeowners, and so is calling on people to share experiences that could be relevant to its work.
    If the CMA thinks that a company’s practices are misleading – or that its contracts contain unfair clauses – it could take enforcement action to require the company to change how they operate.

They are just so far from the point it is stunning.

Comment

Originally posted by paulamis View Post
      Well they need to be made more aware of what is going on...the closing date for all contributions is next week 12th July I think!

Comment

To aid its investigation, the Competition and Markets Authority is calling on leaseholders to submit their views on the leasehold housing market. The CMA would like initial responses by the end of this week, Friday 12th July.

Contact the CMA with information to help put an end to some of the unscrupulous practices going on.

Comment

Originally posted by Stacker View Post

Well they need to be made more aware of what is going on...the closing date for all contributions is next week 12th July I think!
          I did submissions, but they cannot include that which is part of legal action.

Comment

Originally posted by paulamis View Post
            Paul - why do you think this?
            And yes evidence submitted by 12th July.
            This Thursday government response/debate to select committee enquiry on leasehold

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Secret commissions
              Stacker
              The issue of freeholders and managing agents fiddling insurance commissions at leaseholders’ expense was raised in the Times earlier this month.

Sir Peter, 74, said that secret commissions were part of a broader pattern of mistreatment of leaseholders. “Those receiving cowboy commissions...
              18-07-2019, 20:27 PM
            • Reply to Secret commissions
              michelle230
              I have a copy of my policy but often you won't be given it. Or you may just get the page showing basic insurance details of your particular block but not the full policy details.
              I was told my F/H doesn't add on commission but I dont believe that. There's so many ways they can inflate the cost....
              21-07-2019, 23:47 PM
            • Lord Best report
              michelle230
              For anyone interested -

Chapter 6 focus on Leasehold..

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...g-group-report
              18-07-2019, 12:46 PM
            • Reply to Lord Best report
              michelle230
              Desamax - did you maybe mean "invariably" lol...
              21-07-2019, 22:27 PM
              Leaseholdscandal
              Could you please expand more about LKP. Leasehold Knowledge Partnership have been instrumental in the leasehold reform work....
              21-07-2019, 22:18 PM
              desamax
              Someone will already have worked out that there are profits to be made from buying leaseholds from overly pessimistic owners at distressed prices, holding them for a couple of years and then enfranchising. I don’t think we have heard the end of the scandal yet.
              Rather, we are about to see one...
              21-07-2019, 21:49 PM
              desamax
              LKP have some interesting proposals on common hold, they have helped and advised leaseholders Change to common hold that indecently works far better than leasehold worldwide.
              If anyone wants to direct any concerns their way I sure they will put you in the picture.

https://www.lea...
              21-07-2019, 21:37 PM
              Stacker
              Secret profit commissions are a criminal offence under the Bribery Act 2010 and if an insurance broker is found to be liable, the courts may also charge the Directors and other Officers of the company. Therefore, there is an added incentive for insurance brokerage firms to tighten up their systems and...
              21-07-2019, 20:04 PM
              Stacker
              Secret profit commissions are a criminal offence under the Bribery Act 2010 and if an insurance broker is found to be liable, the courts may also charge the Directors and other Officers of the company. Therefore, there is an added incentive for insurance brokerage firms to tighten up their systems and...
              21-07-2019, 19:57 PM
              Stacker
              Bribery ACT 2019 Commission

Can a payment of commission be classed as a bribe under the Act? In situations where a party has a conflict of interest and accepts a commission on the basis that he or she will improperly direct more business to a party, yes it can. An example of this could arise...
              21-07-2019, 19:42 PM
            Working...
            X