Who has the final say in RMCs finances

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who has the final say in RMCs finances

We are a private limited company made up of 12 leaseholders who are also equal one twelfth shareholders in a residents management company. We have 2 directors and a secretary. When deciding financial matters of the company i.e service charge increases or how much to put into its sinking fund does the company need a majority vote of shareholders at the AGM? What happens if only 5 out of the 12 attend? Are all votes void without a majority or is it only the majority vote of the directors ?

Thank you for any advice

This appears to be a rephrasing of another question; the moderator should consider merging this with https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/fo...e-agm-of-a-rmc Asking the same question in different ways generally won't get you the answer you want if the first answer wasn't acceptable.

RMCs created after 2006 wouldn't normally have AGMs, and ones created before then could have had their articles changed to remove the need.

For an RMC using any version of the model articles, the directors can make such decisions, on their own..

I think it unlikely that the articles make this a decision that requires a general meeting, but it is theoretically possible.

The ordinary business of AGMs doesn't include operational decisions. AGMs, if required at all, are generally about corporate governance, (presenting accounts, choosing auditors and ratifying the choice of directors.

Note that, from a governance point of view, RMCs are no different from other companies.

(RTMs have to follow a specific set of articles and those articles do not provide for AGMs or reserve the decisions you mention to general meetings.)

Basically choose your directors well.

Comment

If you intend to allow members to decide on the level of service charges, you would need to supply all members with sufficient information to make the decision and the notice of the meeting should specify the resolution proposed and all members should be given the opportunity to vote.

If the notice is incorrect, the vote is invalid.

The sinking fund is a question of whether or not it is permitted by the lease. If it is, the amount required should be calculated.

Comment

For a properly called general meeting, only a quorum needs to be present, and they must be members, or their proxies. One vote with everyone else abstaining would be sufficient. People who attend a properly called meeting neither in person nor by proxy are, effectively, abstaining.

For a decision made by the board, the members do not need to be notified, and no members need be present except in as much as some of the directors may be members. The members have on specific right even to attend.

Even with a general meeting, the members' vote would normally be a yes/no rubber stamp for a directors' decision.

However, I think all this was answered in your original thread.

Comment

I doubt that the meeting was called properly and that is probably why a member disputes the decision.

Comment

Does seem likely, but disputing is pretty pointless as the directors can hold a board meeting and make the decision anyway, unless there is some strange requirement in the articles that such decisions should be made by general meeting.

Comment

Yes we were not told why it was put to the meeting of members and there was probably no need but once the decision is referred to members, all members should be informed and allowed to vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Kent dancing queen View Post
                We are a private limited company made up of 12 leaseholders who are also equal one twelfth shareholders in a residents management company. We have 2 directors and a secretary. When deciding financial matters of the company i.e service charge increases or how much to put into its sinking fund does the company need a majority vote of shareholders at the AGM? What happens if only 5 out of the 12 attend? Are all votes void without a majority or is it only the majority vote of the directors ?

Thank you for any advice
                The directors can decide on all contract negotiations themselves, but the best way is to consult with all the leaseholders and discuss the plan for the building repairs, maintenance and insurance , what needs doing now and in say 3, 5 and 10 years time...budget needed and then collect service charges each time they are required. Shareholders appoint the directors so if you are not happy with them, the shareholders can vote them out and replace them. All actions will be directed by what is stated is in your lease.

Comment

There is a distinction between being transparent ie the directors explaining to leaseholders why decisions have been made, how charges have been calculated etc and inviting members to make management decisions. You can choose either although the latter is unusual.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Secret commissions
                    Stacker
                    The issue of freeholders and managing agents fiddling insurance commissions at leaseholders’ expense was raised in the Times earlier this month.

Sir Peter, 74, said that secret commissions were part of a broader pattern of mistreatment of leaseholders. “Those receiving cowboy commissions...
                    18-07-2019, 20:27 PM
                  • Reply to Secret commissions
                    michelle230
                    I have a copy of my policy but often you won't be given it. Or you may just get the page showing basic insurance details of your particular block but not the full policy details.
                    I was told my F/H doesn't add on commission but I dont believe that. There's so many ways they can inflate the cost....
                    21-07-2019, 23:47 PM
                  • Lord Best report
                    michelle230
                    For anyone interested -

Chapter 6 focus on Leasehold..

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...g-group-report
                    18-07-2019, 12:46 PM
                  • Reply to Lord Best report
                    michelle230
                    Desamax - did you maybe mean "invariably" lol...
                    21-07-2019, 22:27 PM
                    Leaseholdscandal
                    Could you please expand more about LKP. Leasehold Knowledge Partnership have been instrumental in the leasehold reform work....
                    21-07-2019, 22:18 PM
                    desamax
                    Someone will already have worked out that there are profits to be made from buying leaseholds from overly pessimistic owners at distressed prices, holding them for a couple of years and then enfranchising. I don’t think we have heard the end of the scandal yet.
                    Rather, we are about to see one...
                    21-07-2019, 21:49 PM
                    desamax
                    LKP have some interesting proposals on common hold, they have helped and advised leaseholders Change to common hold that indecently works far better than leasehold worldwide.
                    If anyone wants to direct any concerns their way I sure they will put you in the picture.

https://www.lea...
                    21-07-2019, 21:37 PM
                    Stacker
                    Secret profit commissions are a criminal offence under the Bribery Act 2010 and if an insurance broker is found to be liable, the courts may also charge the Directors and other Officers of the company. Therefore, there is an added incentive for insurance brokerage firms to tighten up their systems and...
                    21-07-2019, 20:04 PM
                    Stacker
                    Secret profit commissions are a criminal offence under the Bribery Act 2010 and if an insurance broker is found to be liable, the courts may also charge the Directors and other Officers of the company. Therefore, there is an added incentive for insurance brokerage firms to tighten up their systems and...
                    21-07-2019, 19:57 PM
                    Stacker
                    Bribery ACT 2019 Commission

Can a payment of commission be classed as a bribe under the Act? In situations where a party has a conflict of interest and accepts a commission on the basis that he or she will improperly direct more business to a party, yes it can. An example of this could arise...
                    21-07-2019, 19:42 PM
                  Working...
                  X