Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Communal Cupboard Use

Hi all,

There is a large communal cupboard in my block of 3 flats (one of which i own leasehold) which contains the electricity meters and the bike storage. I also store a few suitcases in here but have recently been told by my service provider to remove the personal belongings in that cupboard under the threat of a tort notice.

The cupboard was designated in the plans that the lease refers to as bike storage and I had written not from the developer saying I could use it as storage. There is nothing in the lease about using this area for strorage.

I am thinking that I should try and get the developer or the service charge provider to enclose the electricity meters in a fireproof cupboard so bikes and other stuff can be stored in there, but am no expert on the matter so was wanting some advice.

Thanks in advance

Please confirm what you mean by "service provider".

Comment

The managing agent I pay the service charge to!

Comment

No sensible freeholder would allow suitcases in such an area. You are lucky that the lease even gives you a right to use it for bicycles.

To even consider its use for general storage, it would need locked fire doors on the cupboard.

Any work to allow the storage of items with non-trivial or unknown fire risks, when they are not explicitly permitted in the lease, are unlikely to covered by the service charge, so you should expect to have to pay for the work personally.

I'm glad to see that the building manager is actually fulfilling their duties.

Although it seems your lease explicitly allows bicycles, the general rule for dispensations to leases in such areas is what is stored must be of very low fire risk, must not cause an obstruction and there must be no reasonable alternative. A reasonable alternative for suitcases is the flat itself. Not having space is not really having no reasonable alternative.

Comment

Assuming there are no statutory regulations which apply, if you have been given permission by the landlord that should be an end of the matter. If you still have the written permission send a copy to the managing agent - see further below.

There may though be regulations about what should not be stored in a cupboard containing meters. If you are in breach of those regulations then your belongings should be removed. Hopefuly someone else more knowledgeable on this point will be able to confirm the position one way or the other.

Write a letter to the managing agents saying:

I was given permission by [insert name] to store items in the cupboard. [If you still have the letter add:] I enclose a copy.

I have taken legal advice and been advised as follows:

Section 12 and Schedule 1 of the Torts (Interference with Goods) Act 1977 does not apply because the items stored are not in your possession or under your control and you are not a bailee.

If you remove my belongings without my consent it may be considered theft having regard to sections 1(1) and 6(1) of the Theft Act 1968.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
            Assuming there are no statutory regulations which apply, if you have been given permission by the landlord that should be an end of the matter.
            Surely even if permission has been given in the past it can be withdrawn now (although I expect that would depend on precisely what was said when the permission was given)?

If the OP can prove that permission was given it might mean that they need to be given sufficient notice that the permission is being withdraw, but I can't see that they can expect to always use the cupboard as storage.
            I'm also curious about what the situation would be if permission had not been given, but could be implied because the use of the cupboard for storage was ignored for years - but that's a different question!

Comment

Like most safety issues, there aren't specific regulations.

What is required is to take steps to prevent fire, and that means keeping ignition sources away from flammable material, and an electrical cupboard will generally be interpreted as an ignition source, and a suitcase of unknown contents as combustible material.

The other requirement is to protect the means of escape. In practice, that means putting a fire door between flammable material and communal stairwells and corridors.

Avoiding ignition sources may also imply making it lockable.

If the freeholder has given you a licence, you aren't in the wrong from a civil point of view, but if the licence gives you carte blanche, the freeholder is almost certainly failing to fulfil their duties under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order. The licence to store arbitrary material should certainly feature in their fire risk assessment. It would be very unwise for the freeholder not to reserve the right to revoke the licence.

Although the legislation only imposes general duties, there are guidance documents which would generally indicate when the manager was taking adequate steps. The one for purpose built flats is "Fire safety in purpose-built blocks of flats". Section 44 has a long discussion on storage in communal areas. In particular it advises not giving licences unless compliance is going to be actively policed, and, that, if there is no fire separation between the storage and escape routes, things should only be stored in metal cabinets.

(If you are in London, and look at storage rooms, even locked ones, in tube stations, you will see licence documents which list in fairly explicit details what is actually allowed.)

In the current circumstances, the manager should be insisting that the freeholder revoke the licence. If the freeholder is unable to revoke the licence, they should be paying for fire safety upgrades out of their own pocket, although possibly asking the OP to refund them voluntarily.

Once the licence is revoked, the manager needs to enforce the fire safety policy, and doing so may require quite urgent measures to remove the risk. If they can't at least remove the items and charge you for storage, they may need to get an urgent injunction, which you are likely to have to pay for. Remember they are at risk of criminal prosecution, even though, in reality, that would only happen after a serious incident. I think it is normally understood that the Interference with Good Act applies in this case, but it may well not have been tested in court. If it doesn't apply, unauthorised storage in communal areas is such common problem, and one that is often raised after major fires, that there really needs to be legislation to allow the building manager to resolve safety issues, without the time and expense of a court injunction.

Basically, I would say the freeholder made a mistake by giving blanket permission, in the first place.

Comment

Thank you all for your interesting advice and guidance.

Just realized that since it is a new build (2015), the developer was obliged by London law to provide bike storage and they put this storage in the cupboard!

So think it is their responsibility to fireproof electricity stuff!

Comment

Bicycles are low fire risk items. It is your suitcases that would be considered a problem. When people store suitcases, they tend to fill them with all sorts of things.

I'm surprised a new build doesn't require fire resistant electrical cupboards.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
                    Bicycles are low fire risk items. It is your suitcases that would be considered a problem. When people store suitcases, they tend to fill them with all sorts of things.

I'm surprised a new build doesn't require fire resistant electrical cupboards.
                    When I was buying the property the developer said they would enclose the electricity storage cupboard, so it could be used as normal storage for leaseholders as well as bike storage: I have this in an email.

Does anyone know if the developer was therefore not fulfilling their responsibility?

Comment

If you signed the original lease, after this promise, the lease would override it, although I suppose there might be some case for misleading advertising.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• HELP - lease clause
                        Jake0254
                        Hello

Im due to complete on Monday which is the scariest part of this. I have a house cat. My lease is POORLY worded with a clause that says:

" No pets may be kept in a flat and where the property is a house you must not keep any animal including livestock except a pet...
                        16-08-2019, 23:15 PM
                      • Reply to HELP - lease clause
                        jpkeates
                        The OFT no longer exists and the document referred to is no longer considered to be valid.
                        The advice it contains has been superceded in a number of areas, because consumer law has changed, although there are cases that support some elements of it.

That lease clause is unambiguous,...
                        19-08-2019, 08:39 AM
                      • Priorities for Leasehold Reform
                        eagle2
                        In no particular order
                        All service charge monies must be held in a separate client bank account, someone eg the regulator should carry out random checks that it is being held correctly
                        All reserve fund monies must be held in a separate client bank deposit account, monies paid in immediately...
                        25-07-2019, 09:20 AM
                      • Reply to Priorities for Leasehold Reform
                        Gordon999
                        The Commonhold building is managed by the Commonhold Association having "units holders" as members but each units holders is freeholder of its flat..There is no outside party as freeholder of the building and there is no ground rent to pay.

This is similar to Leasehold building...
                        19-08-2019, 08:33 AM
                      • Reply to Priorities for Leasehold Reform
                        eagle2
                        Written by Macromia on a different thread:
                        “individual leaseholders whose views are outnumbered by other leaseholders, are often better off with an independent freeholder who they can challenge rather than as a shareholder of a management company. This is why the push for abolishing leasehold...
                        19-08-2019, 06:11 AM
                      • RTM Co - Confidentiality of Board Meetings
                        ADDLED
                        Not sure I'm posting in the right section, I have a question about board meetings for RTM Co directors. Are meetings supposed to be completely confidential or are board members allowed to discuss the content of meetings with other members? The members have a right to see the meeting minutes - although...
                        16-08-2019, 08:13 AM
                      • Reply to RTM Co - Confidentiality of Board Meetings
                        eagle2
                        I think that you need to consider changing your managing agent.

Collecting debts should be part of the management fee and charging £1,000 administration charges is unreasonable. The agent acts on behalf of the RTM and he should not be threatening legal action or instructing solicitors...
                        19-08-2019, 05:48 AM
                      • Right for management company to change the service charge apportionment for my flat
                        utolti
                        Hi
                        i own a leasehold flat and pay a yearly service charge on the flat. The management company for the block recently remeasured the floor space in all the flats in the block because they said the existing apportionment of the service charge did not add up to 100%.

As a result, the...
                        17-08-2019, 12:32 PM
                      • Reply to Right for management company to change the service charge apportionment for my flat
                        eagle2
                        The actual wording of the lease is important, it will say whether or not the management company has the right to change the basis of allocating costs, so I recommend that you check it. I am assuming that there is no such right contained within the lease.

If the management company receives...
                        19-08-2019, 05:28 AM
                      • RTM Co Director Termination - Possible Error in Articles
                        ADDLED
                        Hello again, I have a few questions on the validity of director termination.
                        I was of the understanding that a director of an RTM Co can be voted off by the members, yet it seems we have a set of articles that dont include that term. s23 of our articles state:

Termination... (shortened...
                        18-08-2019, 18:36 PM
                      Working...
                      X