Owning multiple falts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Owning multiple falts

In my flats one person owns 4 of the flats. I have been told that he still only gets one vote no matter how many he owns. Is this true and can you point me to the documentation behind it so I can back it up. This is not what I've been told.

Maybe. The Articles of Association of your specific company.

It is specifically not the case for RTM companies.

Comment

At a directors meeting, each director can exercise one vote.

At a meeting of leaseholders or a consultation by post, the leaseholder of each flat can exercise one vote.

Comment

Hi,

My understanding is that if the resolution is decided on a showing of hands, i.e., those attending the meeting (GM) he gets one vote if in person, if a poll is called he will be entitled to 4 votes. He would also be entitled to have 4 proxy votes, again these could be one attendee or four different attendees.

As stated earlier depends on how your company is governed.

See here:

https://prismcosec.com/media/2243/pr...l-meetings.pdf
        Last edited by josepha333; 27-06-2019, 01:17 AM. Reason: Added link to additional info

Comment

The leaseholder should check the Articles of Association of the Company, a copy can be obtained free of charge from the Companies House web site. He may need to apply to the Company in respect of each property in order to become a member. Usually, if there is a vote by a show of hands at a meeting he would have one vote but he should have the right to insist on a poll which would give him 4 votes. He should also be able to appoint someone by proxy for each of the 4 votes which he possesses.

Comment

Thanks all. That is very interesting and probably explains a lot of my current situation. I will get a copy of the Articles of Association.

Comment

I have looked on Companies House and cannot find a document for this. Will it stand on it's own or would it be within another document? It is a limited company but is described as a residents property management.

Comment

It will be included under filing history at the very beginning under the title "incorporation". Check the other filings as well in case there are any changes to the Articles,

Comment

The company also has to provide a copy, free on request, to members.

Comment

And it is something your conveyancer should have asked for, so should be in papers they provided.

Comment

I find it much quicker to obtain a copy online from Companies House. I have known companies try to charge for a copy even though they should not do so.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• New landlord being awkward.
                        petworld123
                        Hi
                        We currently own a flat above a takeaway which we are trying to sell. There is a current 80 year lease on the flat. The previous owner of the shop downstairs sold it on last year. The new owner of the freehold is unwilling to give us a copy of the landlords lease and refusing to give his solicitors...
                        17-07-2019, 16:14 PM
                      • Reply to New landlord being awkward.
                        leaseholder64
                        Who is the landlord referred to here?

You should be able to obtain copies of the various lease contracts from the Land Registry, for low double figures.
                        17-07-2019, 16:20 PM
                      • Reply to New landlord being awkward.
                        JK0
                        Won't your lease remain the same for the next 80 years? They don't get changed when a new freeholder buys.
                        17-07-2019, 16:19 PM
                      • Freeholders breach of the lease
                        surreygirl
                        We had a surveyor in last year in April 2018 which said that the outside render was now porous and needed to be repaired as a matter of urgency and should be a priority. At a meeting they voted to wait for a year until people had saved up the money and also they needed to have an asbestos test done....
                        16-06-2019, 09:39 AM
                      • Reply to Freeholders breach of the lease
                        surreygirl
                        I will start a new thread and thank you for your advice. Thankfully my tenant has a head on her shoulders and is not easily intimidated....
                        17-07-2019, 16:11 PM
                      • Reply to Freeholders breach of the lease
                        surreygirl
                        Yes I will call the citizens advice tomorrow in the UK and ask them what they think. A letter is out as he will see it is from me and send it back, so an email and get someone to post a letter from me from the UK. I will threaten legal action. However I will start a new thread as we are going off track....
                        17-07-2019, 16:10 PM
                      • Disputes with present freeholder
                        hexu
                        Hi there,

It's really a nightmare if the freeholder is bad enough!

When I purchased the property in 2006, the freehold was held by the Council. In August 2007, the Council sold the freehold of the building to a housing association. Major works of the building were planned...
                        15-07-2019, 21:08 PM
                      • Reply to Disputes with present freeholder
                        Macromia
                        Sadly this is too often the case - but the correct action in response to 'unreliable' freeholders is to take appropriate action relative to specific failures.
                        In this case, if major works are the issue, the relevant action is likely to be to challenge the reasonableness or quality of the works...
                        17-07-2019, 15:19 PM
                      • Solicitor incorrectly defined lease terms
                        rjb021080
                        Hi all. looking for some advice.

When buying a shared ownership property, the lease I thought I was buying into was 125 years. This was the paperwork received from the solicitor. The property was purchased in 2008. 11 years down the line and having recently decided to sell the property...
                        17-07-2019, 08:01 AM
                      • Reply to Solicitor incorrectly defined lease terms
                        Gordon999
                        Did you buy the property without seeing the solicitor ?

If you have proof you were informed of 125 years lease, then make a formal complaint against solicitor to SRA
                        17-07-2019, 15:08 PM
                      Working...
                      X