Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breach of covenant in share of freehold

Hello everyone,

I own a leasehld flat and share of freehold, split equally between 4 directors of management company.

I believe one of directors may have breached there lease but Im not sure the others will see it that way.

The articles state matters must be decided by a majority vote, so what is the correct course of action here?

What if I raise it as an issue but a majority don't agree it has been breached?

There is s third alternative: they could agree that there is breach but decide to waive it.

Does the lessor covenant with other lessees to enforce the particular breach?

Comment

Hello leaseholder64,

sorry I dont quite follow your last question, "Does the lessor covenant with other lessees to enforce the particular breach?"

Would enother option be for a me to pursue legal matter myself if a majority cannot decide?

Comment

What I was getting at is that the freeholder does not have to enforce covenants and there is no come back for not doing so unless they are themselves breaching a covenant. If they don't covenant with you, as leaseholder, to enforce the covenant, they are doing nothing wrong by not enforcing it. Note that such covenants often come with a condition that they will only enforce if you guarantee to pay all legal costs they are unable to recover from the person in breach.

Whether you can take action against the other leaseholder depends on whether the other leaseholder covenants just wit the lessor or with both the lessor and the other lessees. What the freeholder can do, which you can't, is to threaten to forfeit the lease, but for that they will need a ruling from the FTT that there is a breach. Actual forfeiture is extremely rare.

You may have a legal case against another leaseholder as a neighbour, rather than under the lease contract.

Comment

You are asking two questions, 1 is there a breach and 2 what if anything should be done about it.

1 We cannot answer this question unless you state what you consider to be the breach of the lease and you let us know the actual wording of the lease. A breach is not determined by the freeholder or by majority vote, if the leaseholder does not accept the breach, it is a legal matter and it could be determined by a court or a tribunal.

2 It is up to the freeholder to decide whether or not to take any action regarding a possible breach of the lease and that would be determined by majority vote by the 4 directors of the freeholder.

If their decision is to take no action, your lease may allow you to ask the freeholder to enforce the terms of the lease with another leaseholder but as LH64 says, there may be conditions which would be stated in your lease.

Comment

Firstly what is the breach and what does your Lease say about this, can you post the wording on here to help us understand?

The Lease is a legal contract which requires all parties to comply with, no company law or directors wishes take priority over the Lease unless it is a majority decision meaning you all agree to the changes in the Lease or the Lease is not working in some way however that would need to be determined by the FTT...Directors need to be seen and comply with the Lease, Landlord and Tenant laws.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Doubling rent
              SandraHope
              My solicitor has strongly advised me against purchasing a flat as it has just come to light that the recently renewed lease has had its ground rent increased 100% and it is also on a doubling basis. My solicitor has advised us that mortgage companies are becoming more reluctant to offer mortgages on...
              16-10-2019, 19:31 PM
            • Reply to Doubling rent
              sgclacy
              This near hysteria that has broken out of late makes the ground rent terms on this flat seem like a problem to some buyers and lenders. There is nothing worrying about the terms of this lease - £300 is not a trival sum but neither is it so large as to cause worry and panic. Let’s get some perspective...
              16-10-2019, 22:07 PM
            • Reply to Doubling rent
              AndrewDod
              Doubling every 33 years is way way below even the lowest estimates of inflation. That sounds like a great deal. Doubling every 15 years or so would be at about general inflation (or even every 5 years given a few years of a Corbyn disaster)....
              16-10-2019, 20:46 PM
            • Management Company Costs
              Harwood
              Hello all

I wonder if somebody with "real life experience" could give me an indicative cost for a MC to manage 4 Leasehold flats within a converted building?
              It is currently self managed by a limited Company comprising the 4 directors who are also shareholders of the freehold....
              14-10-2019, 07:18 AM
            • Reply to Management Company Costs
              jrsteeve
              My company, based in Manchester, would quote between £900-£1300 per year depending on the size, scope of regular maintenance, inspection and Director meeting frequency. It's difficult to apply a per unit price when there aren't many, we need to make sure we can afford to actually manage the site,...
              16-10-2019, 20:13 PM
            • Visitor Parking Dispute and Unreasonable Behaviour
              uoeno
              Hello. I am the owner of a residential apartment, which I use as my main residence, which is managed by a property management company, to whom I pay a monthly service fee, and a residents management company, of which the PMC is one of the directors. The freehold of the land is owned and managed by a...
              15-10-2019, 15:50 PM
            • Reply to Visitor Parking Dispute and Unreasonable Behaviour
              Macromia
              I don't see how this would help.
              If the directors of the PMC are unwilling to allow the OP to park in a visitors spot while he/she is affected by a temporarily physical problem, is it really likely that they would agree to allow them to use a the parking spot if it was specifically set aside for...
              16-10-2019, 20:03 PM
            • Reply to Doubling rent
              SandraHope
              Yes it is on both counts. it is £300 on a purchase price of £230,000. Doubling every 33 years. I was only increased last year when the lease was extended from £30 to £300
              16-10-2019, 19:44 PM
            • Reply to Doubling rent
              leaseholder64
              Is the new rent more that £250 or more than 0.1% of the purchase price?

How frequently does the rent double?

Rationally, doubling every 25 years is probably not going to be an issue, but doubling every 10 would be, as one is slower than inflation and the other faster. However,...
              16-10-2019, 19:40 PM
            • Reply to Management Company Costs
              Harwood
              The remaining 3 directors are very much "joined up".
              Unfortunately whilst he is a director he can add trivial juvenile points to the Agenda, one example being that he wants to maintain a 2 tone colour scheme of "adjoining items" to the property. We already have an informal...
              16-10-2019, 17:10 PM
            Working...
            X