Non carpeted flat in breach of lease

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non carpeted flat in breach of lease

Just due to exchange on a leasehold flat and in the terms of the lease I am supposed to have carpet. I have laminate floor throughout. Literally due to exchange and buyer is asking for 2,000 pounds for new carpet. Says she cannot purchase without carpet as I am in breach of my lease. Have said I can carpet my flat with a cheap carpet and underlay for 500 pounds or give her this amount to put towards the expensive carpet she desires. Do you have to carpet a flat before selling. I have seen many flat in same block sold with wooden flooring.
    pounds for new carpet.

Are you in breach of your lease?

Comment

I suspect you will be in breach. Don't forget buyer can just walk away. Are the flats easy to sell ? How much do you want to get it sold ?

Comment

No you don't have to carpet a flat when selling. AND you can take the carpet with you.
        ( but best to carpet it if it's against the lease )

Yes, you are in breach of your lease, but when the lease was first written and first sold, if there was no carpet supplied, then you cannot give a carpet to the new buyer, as that carpet belongs to you ( if you had it carpeted ).

Also, it is up to the incoming leaseholder to observe the lease,( as well ) and if you had it carpeted, they are yours, so the incoming leaseholder has to buy their own carpets.

Tell them they have read the lease, seen the flat, everything is finalised, a projected exchange date is set, so what's the problem.
        The floor coverings belong to you. Even the laminate you put down.
        As she does not want the laminate, tell her you will be removing that, as it's your laminate, or you can leave it there, and give her £ 500 to re-carpet.

Comment

I acknowledge ram s knowledge and experience. He will be correct. However, I repeat are you ready to possibly lose a sale ? game of bluff ?

Comment

We need to know please:

(a) exactly what the lease says about floor coverings

(b) if you are supposed to have carpet whether you obtained the landlord's consent to lay a laminate floor

(c) if you are supposed to have carpet and did not obtain the landlord's consent how long ago you laid the laminate floor and if the landlord knows about it

(d) if there is a flat below yours

(e) if anyone has complained

Comment

Originally posted by scot22 View Post
              However, I repeat are you ready to possibly lose a sale ? game of bluff ?
              Of course there is a possibility you will lose the sale, but over carpets ! - probably not.

The buyer either wants carpets for free.
              or
              She is hesitant that she will be found in breach of the lease.

Continuing my last post,
              carpets in a house or flat, - - you ask the buyer
              "Would you like to buy my carpets, ( done this twice ), and if not, we will take them with us".
              If leaving the carpets, the prospective buyer gives money to the seller for the carpets.

You are not leaving any carpets, therefore no money is asked for from prospective buyer for the none existent carpets.
              For her to demand money for carpets, irrespective of the lease, is not on.

If push comes to shove, fit your £ 500 carpets, and then say, lease adhered to, place carpeted,
              Then say ,
              "Would you like to buy my carpets, and if not, we will take them with us".

BUT be prepared to leave the carpets for no payment. For the sake of a clean exchange.

Comment

You state that your lease requires you to have a carpet and if that is the case, it would be reasonable to sell the flat in a condition which complies with the lease. The purchaser cannot expect an expensive carpet or a brand new carpet, Your offer to fit a carpet or make an allowance seems to be reasonable but as others have said it depends on how far you wish to stand your ground and risk the loss of a sale, I suggest that you wait for the purchaser to respond but you may need to negotiate an agreement.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Doubling rent
                  SandraHope
                  My solicitor has strongly advised me against purchasing a flat as it has just come to light that the recently renewed lease has had its ground rent increased 100% and it is also on a doubling basis. My solicitor has advised us that mortgage companies are becoming more reluctant to offer mortgages on...
                  16-10-2019, 19:31 PM
                • Reply to Doubling rent
                  SandraHope
                  Thank you so much. What you have said makes sense but the solicitor has put the fear of god into us and the mortgage broker also seemed concerned when we informed him. We are so close to exchanging that it is a bitter pill to swallow not to mention all the money we have lost. I think if we went ahead...
                  17-10-2019, 05:31 AM
                • Reply to Doubling rent
                  michelle230
                  Please listen to your solicitor. He is advising you correctly.
                  0.1% is a problem which many lenders are now refusing to lend on.
                  The massive jump from £30 to £300 g/r means the lease extension was an informal one rather than a formal one. This is not good! (If unsure of the difference...
                  17-10-2019, 05:29 AM
                • Reply to Doubling rent
                  sgclacy
                  This near hysteria that has broken out of late makes the ground rent terms on this flat seem like a problem to some buyers and lenders. There is nothing worrying about the terms of this lease - £300 is not a trival sum but neither is it so large as to cause worry and panic. Let’s get some perspective...
                  16-10-2019, 22:07 PM
                • Reply to Doubling rent
                  AndrewDod
                  Doubling every 33 years is way way below even the lowest estimates of inflation. That sounds like a great deal. Doubling every 15 years or so would be at about general inflation (or even every 5 years given a few years of a Corbyn disaster)....
                  16-10-2019, 20:46 PM
                • Management Company Costs
                  Harwood
                  Hello all

I wonder if somebody with "real life experience" could give me an indicative cost for a MC to manage 4 Leasehold flats within a converted building?
                  It is currently self managed by a limited Company comprising the 4 directors who are also shareholders of the freehold....
                  14-10-2019, 07:18 AM
                • Reply to Management Company Costs
                  jrsteeve
                  My company, based in Manchester, would quote between £900-£1300 per year depending on the size, scope of regular maintenance, inspection and Director meeting frequency. It's difficult to apply a per unit price when there aren't many, we need to make sure we can afford to actually manage the site,...
                  16-10-2019, 20:13 PM
                • Visitor Parking Dispute and Unreasonable Behaviour
                  uoeno
                  Hello. I am the owner of a residential apartment, which I use as my main residence, which is managed by a property management company, to whom I pay a monthly service fee, and a residents management company, of which the PMC is one of the directors. The freehold of the land is owned and managed by a...
                  15-10-2019, 15:50 PM
                • Reply to Visitor Parking Dispute and Unreasonable Behaviour
                  Macromia
                  I don't see how this would help.
                  If the directors of the PMC are unwilling to allow the OP to park in a visitors spot while he/she is affected by a temporarily physical problem, is it really likely that they would agree to allow them to use a the parking spot if it was specifically set aside for...
                  16-10-2019, 20:03 PM
                • Reply to Doubling rent
                  SandraHope
                  Yes it is on both counts. it is £300 on a purchase price of £230,000. Doubling every 33 years. I was only increased last year when the lease was extended from £30 to £300
                  16-10-2019, 19:44 PM
                Working...
                X