Director discrimination possibly?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Director discrimination possibly?

A leaseholder is threatening bringing a discrimination case against company as they are the only flat who is not a Director and many directors have come and gone also a director is appointing directors as per the AOA and not holding any AGMs to endorse the appointments.There is no automatic right to be a Director when flats are purchased.

What protected characteristic is being discriminated against?

RTMs dont' have AGMs and therefore don't have AGM endorsement processes.

Comment

In my opinion the lease holder should request the reasons why not been appointed. Also I've never heard of a situation where a director can appoint another director under AOB.
      Let us know the management organization so more informed comment can be given. What is the stated way to make a director appointment.

Comment

The ability of the directors to appoint other directors is in all the model AoA. E.g. for RTMs it is:

22.—(1) Any person who is willing to act as a director, and is permitted by law to do so, may be appointed to be a director—

(a)by ordinary resolution, or

(b)by a decision of the directors.

Article 16(3) even allows this to be done when there are insufficient directors to form a quorum (typically because the company only has one director).

Comment

What is the reason for the leaseholder not being invited to be a director?

Comment

There is no "Right" to become a director just because you own shares in a company.
            Unless you have more experience than current Directors, or can bring to the table properties that the current directors lack, then there is no need to have more directors ! and you wont be accepted as a Director if you apply.

If people don't like you, then you cannot force them to make you a Director.

Regarding R.T.M's, i thought they had to abide but the companies act that states shareholders vote in directors ?

But is Stacker's place an R.T.M. or R.M.C. ?

Comment

Originally posted by eagle2 View Post
              Basically they are giving no reasons for not appointing the leaseholder as a DIrector, each flat is a Director but this one!

Comment

That is the issue RAM, the current Directors have less experience than the leaseholder who wants to be a Director and one Director knows nothing about company law, RICS, even the lease is being breached, they are doing what they like and he alleges they are outing their personal interests ahead of the Lease so hence they wont entertain his request. They wont give reasons to him.

Comment

Originally posted by eagle2 View Post
                  They wont give any

Comment

The non director is stating that if he sold his flat tomorrow the person taking on the flat would be a DIrector so all the flat owners would be Directors. He makes sense but the others wont appoint him as they dont like him however they cant seem to see past the fact that he would be an asset as he is fair and transparent unlike one Director there.

Comment

It does seem odd that there is just one leaseholder who is not invited to become a director but ram is correct, there is no obligation to appoint a leaseholder. The usual problem is that there are no volunteers, here it is the opposite. I am not sure how he would prove discrimination and no doubt the other directors would come up with spurious reasons for not appointing him. It seems to be a case of the face not fitting for whatever reason. It could be worse, he could be appointed a director and the others always vote against him, that way he would waste his time as well.

Comment

Yes agree with you- it is odd, as every time a new leaseholder come along and buys a flat they are appointed as a Director and he is not. So now he is going out of his way to disrupt but he has valid reasons and cant fault him for that...I said appoint him as he would be an asset but there are some controlling personalities so he has no chance and yes his face does not fit, lots of non transparency going on which does not help.

Comment

Its an RMC RAM..

Comment

There is no requirement in the Companies Act for the members to vote in directors. These are set in company articles, and, as I said none of the current model articles requires the members to appoint the directors, although they all allow them to do so.

Comment

As I already hinted, for a discrimination case to succeed, one has to demonstrate that the the rejection was based on a protected characteristic, and nothing has been said here that suggests that that is the case.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Doubling rent
                                SandraHope
                                My solicitor has strongly advised me against purchasing a flat as it has just come to light that the recently renewed lease has had its ground rent increased 100% and it is also on a doubling basis. My solicitor has advised us that mortgage companies are becoming more reluctant to offer mortgages on...
                                16-10-2019, 19:31 PM
                              • Reply to Doubling rent
                                SandraHope
                                Thank you so much. What you have said makes sense but the solicitor has put the fear of god into us and the mortgage broker also seemed concerned when we informed him. We are so close to exchanging that it is a bitter pill to swallow not to mention all the money we have lost. I think if we went ahead...
                                17-10-2019, 05:31 AM
                              • Reply to Doubling rent
                                michelle230
                                Please listen to your solicitor. He is advising you correctly.
                                0.1% is a problem which many lenders are now refusing to lend on.
                                The massive jump from £30 to £300 g/r means the lease extension was an informal one rather than a formal one. This is not good! (If unsure of the difference...
                                17-10-2019, 05:29 AM
                              • Reply to Doubling rent
                                sgclacy
                                This near hysteria that has broken out of late makes the ground rent terms on this flat seem like a problem to some buyers and lenders. There is nothing worrying about the terms of this lease - £300 is not a trival sum but neither is it so large as to cause worry and panic. Let’s get some perspective...
                                16-10-2019, 22:07 PM
                              • Reply to Doubling rent
                                AndrewDod
                                Doubling every 33 years is way way below even the lowest estimates of inflation. That sounds like a great deal. Doubling every 15 years or so would be at about general inflation (or even every 5 years given a few years of a Corbyn disaster)....
                                16-10-2019, 20:46 PM
                              • Management Company Costs
                                Harwood
                                Hello all

I wonder if somebody with "real life experience" could give me an indicative cost for a MC to manage 4 Leasehold flats within a converted building?
                                It is currently self managed by a limited Company comprising the 4 directors who are also shareholders of the freehold....
                                14-10-2019, 07:18 AM
                              • Reply to Management Company Costs
                                jrsteeve
                                My company, based in Manchester, would quote between £900-£1300 per year depending on the size, scope of regular maintenance, inspection and Director meeting frequency. It's difficult to apply a per unit price when there aren't many, we need to make sure we can afford to actually manage the site,...
                                16-10-2019, 20:13 PM
                              • Visitor Parking Dispute and Unreasonable Behaviour
                                uoeno
                                Hello. I am the owner of a residential apartment, which I use as my main residence, which is managed by a property management company, to whom I pay a monthly service fee, and a residents management company, of which the PMC is one of the directors. The freehold of the land is owned and managed by a...
                                15-10-2019, 15:50 PM
                              • Reply to Visitor Parking Dispute and Unreasonable Behaviour
                                Macromia
                                I don't see how this would help.
                                If the directors of the PMC are unwilling to allow the OP to park in a visitors spot while he/she is affected by a temporarily physical problem, is it really likely that they would agree to allow them to use a the parking spot if it was specifically set aside for...
                                16-10-2019, 20:03 PM
                              • Reply to Doubling rent
                                SandraHope
                                Yes it is on both counts. it is £300 on a purchase price of £230,000. Doubling every 33 years. I was only increased last year when the lease was extended from £30 to £300
                                16-10-2019, 19:44 PM
                              Working...
                              X