What happens if First Tier Tribunal directions are ignored?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happens if First Tier Tribunal directions are ignored?

Hi all, RMC director here. We made an application to the FTT for lease variations for the whole block. We have received Directions from the FTT that we had to send to all the leaseholders (respondents). Does anyone know what will happen if some of them don't respond to the Directions? They have basically been told to write a statement saying whether they agree or disagree with the proposed lease variations but it seems some of them don't want to be bothered doing this.

In a way I don't blame them as the proposed variation is minor so they probably don't see the point in even reading the mountain of papers that we had to send them!

Grateful for any advice on this.

See https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1987/31/section/37 sub-paragraph 5.

If 8 or less parties (e.g seven flats and the freeholder) are involved, the variation will fail if more than one person fails to respond (or rejects).

For 9 or more, it will fail if less than 75% vote for or if more than 10% vote against.

Why did you make an application without confirming overwhelming support?

Comment

It's an application under Section 35. Sorry, should have stated that in the OP.

Comment

Sounds like they are treating it as section 37. I suppose they could be keeping options open as to whether or not there is a serious defect in the lease.

I'm not sure why a defective lease would be a "minor" issue.

Comment

To answer your question, if someone does not comply with a direction,"the Tribunal may take such action as the Tribunal considers just". Here the Tribunal is giving leaseholders the opportunity to respond, if they do not respond, they are effectively allowing the Tribunal to decide on their behalf. The Tribunal would probably assume that anyone with an objection would take the trouble to respond and then it would probably consider whether or not the proposals are in the best interests of all parties.

Comment

I agree with 'eagle2', the tribunal may proceed on the assumption that anyone with an objection should have responded.

I think that it does depend what the proposed variation is though, and how it will affect all parties. If the variation is unfavourable to parties who don't respond, the tribunal may decide that agreement in accordance with section 37 is required.

Comment

Thanks all. I know the tribunal won't decide on the S37 route as the leases fail to make satisfactory provision for computation of the service charge.

The variation we've proposed treats all parties the same (i.e. we've requested a proportionate increase in service charges for every lease, which equates to a fractionally higher percentage for everyone—hence my comment about the minor variation).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Doubling rent
                SandraHope
                My solicitor has strongly advised me against purchasing a flat as it has just come to light that the recently renewed lease has had its ground rent increased 100% and it is also on a doubling basis. My solicitor has advised us that mortgage companies are becoming more reluctant to offer mortgages on...
                16-10-2019, 19:31 PM
              • Reply to Doubling rent
                SandraHope
                Thank you so much. What you have said makes sense but the solicitor has put the fear of god into us and the mortgage broker also seemed concerned when we informed him. We are so close to exchanging that it is a bitter pill to swallow not to mention all the money we have lost. I think if we went ahead...
                17-10-2019, 05:31 AM
              • Reply to Doubling rent
                michelle230
                Please listen to your solicitor. He is advising you correctly.
                0.1% is a problem which many lenders are now refusing to lend on.
                The massive jump from £30 to £300 g/r means the lease extension was an informal one rather than a formal one. This is not good! (If unsure of the difference...
                17-10-2019, 05:29 AM
              • Reply to Doubling rent
                sgclacy
                This near hysteria that has broken out of late makes the ground rent terms on this flat seem like a problem to some buyers and lenders. There is nothing worrying about the terms of this lease - £300 is not a trival sum but neither is it so large as to cause worry and panic. Let’s get some perspective...
                16-10-2019, 22:07 PM
              • Reply to Doubling rent
                AndrewDod
                Doubling every 33 years is way way below even the lowest estimates of inflation. That sounds like a great deal. Doubling every 15 years or so would be at about general inflation (or even every 5 years given a few years of a Corbyn disaster)....
                16-10-2019, 20:46 PM
              • Management Company Costs
                Harwood
                Hello all

I wonder if somebody with "real life experience" could give me an indicative cost for a MC to manage 4 Leasehold flats within a converted building?
                It is currently self managed by a limited Company comprising the 4 directors who are also shareholders of the freehold....
                14-10-2019, 07:18 AM
              • Reply to Management Company Costs
                jrsteeve
                My company, based in Manchester, would quote between £900-£1300 per year depending on the size, scope of regular maintenance, inspection and Director meeting frequency. It's difficult to apply a per unit price when there aren't many, we need to make sure we can afford to actually manage the site,...
                16-10-2019, 20:13 PM
              • Visitor Parking Dispute and Unreasonable Behaviour
                uoeno
                Hello. I am the owner of a residential apartment, which I use as my main residence, which is managed by a property management company, to whom I pay a monthly service fee, and a residents management company, of which the PMC is one of the directors. The freehold of the land is owned and managed by a...
                15-10-2019, 15:50 PM
              • Reply to Visitor Parking Dispute and Unreasonable Behaviour
                Macromia
                I don't see how this would help.
                If the directors of the PMC are unwilling to allow the OP to park in a visitors spot while he/she is affected by a temporarily physical problem, is it really likely that they would agree to allow them to use a the parking spot if it was specifically set aside for...
                16-10-2019, 20:03 PM
              • Reply to Doubling rent
                SandraHope
                Yes it is on both counts. it is £300 on a purchase price of £230,000. Doubling every 33 years. I was only increased last year when the lease was extended from £30 to £300
                16-10-2019, 19:44 PM
              Working...
              X