Advice please

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Advice please

    I have posted about this before

    I live in a block of (11) privately owned flats in Teignmouth, Devon
    I am a resident and a director of the flats maintenance company.

    I/we are experiencing problems with our current agent. (ie he will not let me view ANY company documents.)

    The agent has/is clearly not fulfilling his part of the contract as he has stated that i need to pay him for his time, to view and discuss elements of the maintenance company, when in the contract it states that he is freely available!

    There are other elements of the contract that he has not adhered to.
    The thing is, he just ignores any correspondence.
    I can't sue for 'Breach of contract' as there is no financial loss. He is just breaking the terms of the contract.

    So what can I/we do?

    You can request an injunction for specific performance (but not as small claims).


      If the agent is appointed by the management company, give him notice to terminate the agreement and appoint someone who will follow your instructions and comply with the agreement.


      Latest Activity


      • Doubling rent
        My solicitor has strongly advised me against purchasing a flat as it has just come to light that the recently renewed lease has had its ground rent increased 100% and it is also on a doubling basis. My solicitor has advised us that mortgage companies are becoming more reluctant to offer mortgages on...
        16-10-2019, 19:31 PM
      • Reply to Doubling rent
        This near hysteria that has broken out of late makes the ground rent terms on this flat seem like a problem to some buyers and lenders. There is nothing worrying about the terms of this lease - £300 is not a trival sum but neither is it so large as to cause worry and panic. Let’s get some perspective...
        16-10-2019, 22:07 PM
      • Reply to Doubling rent
        Doubling every 33 years is way way below even the lowest estimates of inflation. That sounds like a great deal. Doubling every 15 years or so would be at about general inflation (or even every 5 years given a few years of a Corbyn disaster)....
        16-10-2019, 20:46 PM
      • Management Company Costs
        Hello all

        I wonder if somebody with "real life experience" could give me an indicative cost for a MC to manage 4 Leasehold flats within a converted building?
        It is currently self managed by a limited Company comprising the 4 directors who are also shareholders of the freehold....
        14-10-2019, 07:18 AM
      • Reply to Management Company Costs
        My company, based in Manchester, would quote between £900-£1300 per year depending on the size, scope of regular maintenance, inspection and Director meeting frequency. It's difficult to apply a per unit price when there aren't many, we need to make sure we can afford to actually manage the site,...
        16-10-2019, 20:13 PM
      • Visitor Parking Dispute and Unreasonable Behaviour
        Hello. I am the owner of a residential apartment, which I use as my main residence, which is managed by a property management company, to whom I pay a monthly service fee, and a residents management company, of which the PMC is one of the directors. The freehold of the land is owned and managed by a...
        15-10-2019, 15:50 PM
      • Reply to Visitor Parking Dispute and Unreasonable Behaviour
        I don't see how this would help.
        If the directors of the PMC are unwilling to allow the OP to park in a visitors spot while he/she is affected by a temporarily physical problem, is it really likely that they would agree to allow them to use a the parking spot if it was specifically set aside for...
        16-10-2019, 20:03 PM
      • Reply to Doubling rent
        Yes it is on both counts. it is £300 on a purchase price of £230,000. Doubling every 33 years. I was only increased last year when the lease was extended from £30 to £300
        16-10-2019, 19:44 PM
      • Reply to Doubling rent
        Is the new rent more that £250 or more than 0.1% of the purchase price?

        How frequently does the rent double?

        Rationally, doubling every 25 years is probably not going to be an issue, but doubling every 10 would be, as one is slower than inflation and the other faster. However,...
        16-10-2019, 19:40 PM
      • Reply to Management Company Costs
        The remaining 3 directors are very much "joined up".
        Unfortunately whilst he is a director he can add trivial juvenile points to the Agenda, one example being that he wants to maintain a 2 tone colour scheme of "adjoining items" to the property. We already have an informal...
        16-10-2019, 17:10 PM