If one leaseholder takes a housing association to court...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If one leaseholder takes a housing association to court...

And win. Will it benefit all the leaseholders affected by that service charge or just the one named on the court papers?

My understanding is that it would just be the one. However, I would think it would provide a useful precedent for any subsequent claims.

Comment

I'm surprised they wouldn't be made to refund everyone affected if they have been already shown to be in the wrong. Lots of people won't know how to challenge or just accept the service charges.

What a shame.

Comment

All the other leaseholders will be given a chance to join in before the case is heard.

Comment

As 'leaseholder64' has said, other leaseholders should be given the opportunity to join in if the case is about service charges that they also contribute towards, or something else that involves them.

If they don't join in as a named applicant or respondent, there is no obligation for the freeholder to pass on the benefits of any decision (this applies regardless of whether the freeholder is a housing association, private freeholder, or whatever).
          In some cases the freeholder might chose to give other freeholders the benefit of any reduction in service charges that is won, in other cases they might chose not to.

Although the tribunal system, and some courts, are supposed to be low cost, the reality is that taking a freeholder to tribunal will usually cost several hundred pounds, even if no paid legal advice is obtained, (application fee, hearing fee, printing/photocopying costs for 6x copies of a hearing bundle that may well include several hundred pages, stationary, files, postage costs, etc.).
          The applicant might get the application fee and hearing fee refunded, but there is no guarantee of this and other costs are unlikely to be refunded.
          If everyone is given the reductions it is likely to mean that the leaseholders who did nothing end up better off financially as well as having put in none of the work involved in taking the freeholder to tribunal.

Additionally, and perhaps more importantly, there may be small, but important, differences that won't have been heard by the tribunal/court that might mean that the other leaseholders wouldn't have been awarded the same reductions even though many of the factors under consideration would be the same. In many tribunal decisions, where the cases of two or more leaseholders are heard at the same time, the decision specify different amounts that will be payable by different leaseholders.

Are you the leaseholder named in the court papers?
          Or are you a leaseholder who is hoping to get the benefit of someone else's fight?

Comment

I've heard that someone else is already proceeding down that route but not been given the opportunity to join up with them and no way of contacting them.

Comment

Are they contributing to the same service charges? If they simply have a similar lease, but a different service charge fund, they wouldn't be able to join in the action, although they might be able to cite it as a precedent.

Case reports are produced for decided cases, so you could look for the final decision.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Leaseholder/ Freeholder maintenance obligations when not explicitely defined in lease
                albator1981
                Dear all,
                Can anyone help. I live and own a leaseholder and a share of a freehold (50% via company) of a converted maisonette The other leaseholder owns the other 50% of the freehold (half the company). I have the ground floor he has the first floor.
                He insists that windows repainting and
                01-07-2019, 12:42 PM
              • Reply to Leaseholder/ Freeholder maintenance obligations when not explicitely defined in lease
                Macromia
                Case law does seem to include windows as a structural part of residential buildings, meaning that repair/replacement is likely to be the freeholders responsibility.
                In your case though, especially as you state that "it seems the wood quality of the new windows is poor", it is likely...
                18-07-2019, 16:30 PM
              • New landlord being awkward.
                petworld123
                Hi
                We currently own a flat above a takeaway which we are trying to sell. There is a current 80 year lease on the flat. The previous owner of the shop downstairs sold it on last year. The new owner of the freehold is unwilling to give us a copy of the landlords lease and refusing to give his solicitors...
                17-07-2019, 16:14 PM
              • Reply to New landlord being awkward.
                Macromia
                Be careful with this.
                Although freeholders have a legal obligation to provide copies of insurance policies (if requested), the obligation to pay correctly demanded service charges is separate from this.

If the demands for payment of your contribution towards the insurance have been...
                18-07-2019, 16:11 PM
              • Disputes with present freeholder
                hexu
                Hi there,

It's really a nightmare if the freeholder is bad enough!

When I purchased the property in 2006, the freehold was held by the Council. In August 2007, the Council sold the freehold of the building to a housing association. Major works of the building were planned...
                15-07-2019, 21:08 PM
              • Reply to Disputes with present freeholder
                Macromia
                I can sympathise with you to some degree as I understand how it can be difficult to deal with demands for payments that are considered unreasonable for some reason (whether or not they actually are unreasonable is another matter).
                It may be that you have previously been 'protected' from paying...
                18-07-2019, 15:59 PM
              • S45 Landlords counter notice (admitting claim)
                desamax
                Hi all

Would anyone here know if the above notice has to be signed by a person, or can it be signed in pen for example 'AB Smith real estate ltd' ?

Id like to know if the notice is valid before I respond.

Thanks
                18-07-2019, 12:26 PM
              • Reply to S45 Landlords counter notice (admitting claim)
                desamax
                Hopefully yes, we are not that far apart on the enfranchisement price. I’ll see if my surveyor can use this as a bargaining tool to get them to my side of the price. When he gets back from his holiday.
                Can you see any problems? they have tried every trick to put us off. We are in the final...
                18-07-2019, 15:18 PM
                leaseholder64
                You will have to tell us how "Reserved Property" is defined. However, if the lease does not require you to pay a proportion of the whole building insurance, there is a good chance that it is defective, and a change could be forced to bring it in line with what is actually happening. Some...
                18-07-2019, 15:15 PM
                leaseholder64
                They don't have to agree with your observations, but if they don't, they do have to explain why they are ignoring them.

You may well have a valid case against them even if they have followed the consultation process.
                18-07-2019, 15:01 PM
              Working...
              X