Section 20 Notice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Section 20 Notice

Would a section 20 notice refer to section 20? At a residents meeting the managing agent referred to the section 20 notice issued a few months ago, the only thing I received was a letter referring to finalising the budget being delayed due to some overspend previously communicated, I didn't receive previous communication. Would more detail not be required if it was a section 20?

Some refer to the clause in the Commonhold and Leasehold Reform Act that actually introduced section 20 into the 1985 Landlord and Tenant Act, and I don't think there is any specific requirement to mention either Act. However your notice neither looks like nor quacks like a duck, so it can't be one.

A section 20 notices needs, in particular, to specify time limits for consultations, and, if not subject to a qualifying long term agreement, request nominations for contractors.

Comment

https://www.lease-advice.org/advice-...panies-agents/

Comment

Well I don't think any of that was referred to plus it was for maintenance work that was previously carried out and ownership of the cost is being disputed by the developer but may come back to the leaseholders at a cost of c£400 per unit but the first I heard of this was at a meeting, no detail was previously provided, not sure where that leaves me? We can't challenge the work because it is done already.

Comment

Make an application to the FTT to judge the reasonableness of the cost.

Comment

You can challenge the payment for the work. However, if the work was needed and chargeable to the service charge, the freeholder may well be able to get a retrospective dispensation, and recover most or all of the cost.

You seem to be posting on lots of threads about what I suspect is a single breakdown in confidence with the management. It comes across that you are trying hard to find ways of not paying, rather than looking at what needed to be done and whether what you were charged was reasonable for that.

Comment

There is definitely a breakdown in confidence on a number of issues, I pose different questions because the questions relate to different areas and both the management company and the maintenance company are unwilling or inconsistent in providing answers. I ask on here because there seems to be a wealth of experience and knowledge here which is much appreciated and very helpful. I am not trying to find ways of not paying at all, I have no problem paying for services received, the problem is paying money for services to people who show incompetence in provisioning those services. There is some things I can easily spot as mistakes which aren't always hugely significant but a pattern of carelessness in small things can hint at carelessness at bigger issues which will cause problems further down the line. There is surely nothing wrong with asking questions or challenging decisions.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Non carpeted flat in breach of lease
                woodhar
                Just due to exchange on a leasehold flat and in the terms of the lease I am supposed to have carpet. I have laminate floor throughout. Literally due to exchange and buyer is asking for 2,000 pounds for new carpet. Says she cannot purchase without carpet as I am in breach of my lease. Have said I...
                25-06-2019, 14:17 PM
              • Reply to Non carpeted flat in breach of lease
                eagle2
                You state that your lease requires you to have a carpet and if that is the case, it would be reasonable to sell the flat in a condition which complies with the lease. The purchaser cannot expect an expensive carpet or a brand new carpet, Your offer to fit a carpet or make an allowance seems to be reasonable...
                26-06-2019, 05:20 AM
              • Breach of covenant in share of freehold
                barryz
                Hello everyone,

I own a leasehld flat and share of freehold, split equally between 4 directors of management company.

I believe one of directors may have breached there lease but Im not sure the others will see it that way.

The articles state matters must be decided...
                25-06-2019, 20:13 PM
              • Reply to Breach of covenant in share of freehold
                eagle2
                You are asking two questions, 1 is there a breach and 2 what if anything should be done about it.

1 We cannot answer this question unless you state what you consider to be the breach of the lease and you let us know the actual wording of the lease. A breach is not determined by the freeholder...
                26-06-2019, 05:03 AM
              • Director discrimination possibly?
                Stacker
                A leaseholder is threatening bringing a discrimination case against company as they are the only flat who is not a Director and many directors have come and gone also a director is appointing directors as per the AOA and not holding any AGMs to endorse the appointments.There is no automatic right to...
                22-06-2019, 20:14 PM
              • Reply to Director discrimination possibly?
                eagle2
                The old directors appear to have sold their apartments and are no longer involved so I suggest that you concentrate on the new directors and provide them with a list of suggestions in order of priority and let them have a reasonable amount of time to comply with the request.
                26-06-2019, 04:36 AM
              • Sinking fund breach of covennat?
                Stacker
                The level of the sinking fund has never been agreed by the managing agent or the Directors at any AGM in respect of the accounting years ending December 2016 2017 2018 and 2019 as required by the Deeds of Covenant.
                THE FIFTH SCHEDULE
                10. To set aside(which setting aside shall be for...
                16-06-2019, 19:27 PM
              • Reply to Sinking fund breach of covennat?
                eagle2
                There was no tax advantage to be gained by not having a sinking fund, quite the opposite. Buy to let investors can deduct service charges from rental income so by reducing the service charges, the directors increased their personal tax liability.

You stated in #25 that the FTT had allowed...
                26-06-2019, 04:15 AM
              • Reply to Breach of covenant in share of freehold
                leaseholder64
                What I was getting at is that the freeholder does not have to enforce covenants and there is no come back for not doing so unless they are themselves breaching a covenant. If they don't covenant with you, as leaseholder, to enforce the covenant, they are doing nothing wrong by not enforcing it. Note...
                25-06-2019, 23:47 PM
              • Reply to Director discrimination possibly?
                josepha333
                Considering all posts you need to understand you have to move away from company law & AoA and look at your rights as a leaseholder. You have stated this leaseholder understands the lease and RICS Code of Practice, therefore concentrate on what is not being done that should be done under the terms...
                25-06-2019, 22:26 PM
              Working...
              X