Tenant of Leaseholder leaving property in common parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant of Leaseholder leaving property in common parts

I own the freehold of a small building (and a couple of the leases). One of the other leaseholders as let to a tenant who despite warning will not remove property (bicycles / push chairs) from common parts.

The leaseholder (and therefore their tenant) does not have the right under the lease to store property in the common parts.

I believe therefore that I am entitled to remove the bicycle.

This seems drastic although as warnings are not doing the trick I wonder if anyone else has come across this and how they have handled it.

When I remove the (expensive!) bike, can I just sell it for whatever price I can get or what?

I fear this will end in a slanging match. The tenant is unreasonable. The leaseholder refuses to enforce or control them.

(presumably I could also threaten to "forfeit" the lease?)

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Issue a tort notice and remove the bike when the time is up.

Comment

How and what is the cost please ?

Comment

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1977/32

Cost is the cost of the paper, the toner or ink and your time.

If the bike is obstructing an escape route, you should move it to a nearby safe location, and notify that location to the owner.

If you dispose of it, after they ignore the notice, you must handover the net proceeds of the sale, after storage costs and sale costs.

However note that bicycles are serial numbered, and, even if you use the correct procedures, so you can't be accused of theft, any sale could be poisoned by reporting the cycle as stolen.

You could threaten to forfeit the lease if you have such a clause in the lease. You could, presumably claim compensation for storage costs.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon66 View Post
          Issue a tort notice and remove the bike when the time is up.
          Not sure if that is appropriate. The person issuing the notice needs to be in possession of or in control of the bike.

Comment

It's trespassing on their property.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
              It's trespassing on their property.
              True, but is the bike is "in the possession or under the control of a bailee" as required by section 12 of Torts (Interference with Goods) Act 1977?

Comment

Thank you very much everyone. A threat of bike removal (more seriously expressed than before) seems to have done the trick. (I hope it lasts...)
                Thanks

Comment

The fact the goods, in this case, the bike, is on the property is enough to satisfy s12 1, c.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon66 View Post
                    The fact the goods, in this case, the bike, is on the property is enough to satisfy s12 1, c.
                    I am not sure it is.

Section 12 starts: "This section applies to goods in the possession or under the control of a bailee".

There are four key words:

"goods": Is the bike goods? Yes, because the Act defines goods as including all chattels personal other than things in action and money.

"possession": Is the landlord in possession of the bike? "Possession" is a very wide word and a bit of a slippery concept. I am having difficulty seeing how the landlord can be in possession of the bike in any meaningful way if the bike owner has free use of the bike. The landlord has no proprietary interest in the bike nor is it in his custody.

"control": Is the landlord in control of the bike? It is difficult to see how he is. Without removing the bike he cannot prevent the bike owner (and indeed others) from using it. He cannot take the bike away so as to have control of it because the Act gives him no power to do so. The control must exist before the section applies.

"bailee": Is the landlord a bailee? I do not think so. The bike has not been given into the landlord's custody by the bike owner for the landlord to do work on it or look after it. The landlord cannot be an involuntary bailee because a bailment requires the bailee to have physical possession of the thing in question.

However you look at it it seems that a condition for the section to apply is that the landlord must be exercising significant control over the bike.

I am not saying there is no remedy in law, just that it looks like it is not available under section 12. The position is not though clear cut and I can see a County Court judge finding for the landlord, but it would be interesting to see what the Court of Appeal would make of the situtation.

Comment

Thanks for all comments (historical thread here which I have just stumbled across again!). In end we instructed solicitors and, for a modest fee, a "solicitors letter" (threatening application to a tribunal for a determination that the leaseholder was in breach of covenant, potentially leading to a s146 LPA notice, and potentially ultimately leading to forfeiture!) did the trick. Leaseholder then made sure the tenant behaved.

Comment

TheManOnTheBus - how modest was the fee? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by TheManOnTheBus View Post
                          Thanks for all comments (historical thread here which I have just stumbled across again!). In end we instructed solicitors and, for a modest fee, a "solicitors letter" (threatening application to a tribunal for a determination that the leaseholder was in breach of covenant, potentially leading to a s146 LPA notice, and potentially ultimately leading to forfeiture!) did the trick. Leaseholder then made sure the tenant behaved.
                          Thanks for updating everyone

Comment

Originally posted by Anna1985 View Post
                            TheManOnTheBus - how modest was the fee? Thanks
                            Just short of £400 - but I set it out carefully for them so it was less than 2 hours work.

Comment

TheManOnTheBus , thank you. I still find it absolutely ridiculous that you need to go to solicitor to point out the bloody obvious

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Bullying from a joint freeholder
                                by Stew
                                That seems like a great idea letting out a spare room. Make sure its someone who would not feel intimidated. Also agree with Xmas cards every bit helps. Also tell all contractors not to engage with them at all and ignore them....
                                26-11-2021, 15:05 PM
                              • Bullying from a joint freeholder
                                by goodgirlLondon
                                Hey, I would really like some advice about this as I am a female who lives alone and I am getting worried. The couple who I share the freehold with (just 2 flats in the house), dont get along and we have had problems agreeing over maintenance. I avoid them as much as possible but a neighbour told me...
                                23-11-2021, 17:13 PM
                                by goodgirlLondon
                                Hey, I have thought about renting but I love my flat and had expensive new kitchen put in. Not sure I would be happy if tenants damaged. Also, I think that my mortgage restricts letting out my flat. I love the area and was happy until the couple took over the joint freehold. I might get a tenant to...
                                26-11-2021, 10:31 AM
                              • Service charge arrears
                                by lampshade
                                If I asked the managing agents for a situation report regarding overall arrears of service charge, are they duty bound to let me know. not by flat,of course, but as a % of total invoiced, with info regarding length of arrears?
                                26-11-2021, 07:54 AM
                              • Reply to Service charge arrears
                                by lampshade
                                Yes of course I do not need to know any details other than the current situation. So I will ask and see if I get a reply....
                                26-11-2021, 10:02 AM
                                by eagle2
                                There is no reason why you cannot request and no reason why the managing agent cannot supply general information regarding the level of service charge arrears. It would only become an issue if any personal information was supplied or could be identified,
                                26-11-2021, 09:24 AM
                                by lampshade
                                OK....no i am not one of those........ but seems odd then that the managing agent was very quick to tell all leaseholders in writing that a certain % of leaseholders had paid in advance of a large section 20, by way of coercion to those who had not paid.
                                26-11-2021, 08:39 AM
                                by Section20z
                                Only if you're the freeholder or employer (RMC etc), not if you are just a flat owner...
                                26-11-2021, 08:10 AM
                                by Stew
                                Have you thought about renting the place and just giving the old neighbour an email address for communication with an auto response saying I only pick up email from this account once a month. Not ideal but another option.
                                25-11-2021, 22:45 PM
                              • Access to my garden for upstairs neighbour's loft conversion
                                by sampsam
                                Would appreciate any thoughts or advice from the forum on this matter.

I own the garden flat in block of 4, share of freehold equally split. Top floor neighbour wants to do loft conversion and build an extra floor on closet wing (roof terrace belongs to freehold).

I am not...
                                19-11-2021, 01:16 AM
                              Working...
                              X