Tenant of Leaseholder leaving property in common parts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant of Leaseholder leaving property in common parts

I own the freehold of a small building (and a couple of the leases). One of the other leaseholders as let to a tenant who despite warning will not remove property (bicycles / push chairs) from common parts.

The leaseholder (and therefore their tenant) does not have the right under the lease to store property in the common parts.

I believe therefore that I am entitled to remove the bicycle.

This seems drastic although as warnings are not doing the trick I wonder if anyone else has come across this and how they have handled it.

When I remove the (expensive!) bike, can I just sell it for whatever price I can get or what?

I fear this will end in a slanging match. The tenant is unreasonable. The leaseholder refuses to enforce or control them.

(presumably I could also threaten to "forfeit" the lease?)

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Issue a tort notice and remove the bike when the time is up.

Comment

How and what is the cost please ?

Comment

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1977/32

Cost is the cost of the paper, the toner or ink and your time.

If the bike is obstructing an escape route, you should move it to a nearby safe location, and notify that location to the owner.

If you dispose of it, after they ignore the notice, you must handover the net proceeds of the sale, after storage costs and sale costs.

However note that bicycles are serial numbered, and, even if you use the correct procedures, so you can't be accused of theft, any sale could be poisoned by reporting the cycle as stolen.

You could threaten to forfeit the lease if you have such a clause in the lease. You could, presumably claim compensation for storage costs.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon66 View Post
          Issue a tort notice and remove the bike when the time is up.
          Not sure if that is appropriate. The person issuing the notice needs to be in possession of or in control of the bike.

Comment

It's trespassing on their property.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
              It's trespassing on their property.
              True, but is the bike is "in the possession or under the control of a bailee" as required by section 12 of Torts (Interference with Goods) Act 1977?

Comment

Thank you very much everyone. A threat of bike removal (more seriously expressed than before) seems to have done the trick. (I hope it lasts...)
                Thanks

Comment

The fact the goods, in this case, the bike, is on the property is enough to satisfy s12 1, c.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon66 View Post
                    The fact the goods, in this case, the bike, is on the property is enough to satisfy s12 1, c.
                    I am not sure it is.

Section 12 starts: "This section applies to goods in the possession or under the control of a bailee".

There are four key words:

"goods": Is the bike goods? Yes, because the Act defines goods as including all chattels personal other than things in action and money.

"possession": Is the landlord in possession of the bike? "Possession" is a very wide word and a bit of a slippery concept. I am having difficulty seeing how the landlord can be in possession of the bike in any meaningful way if the bike owner has free use of the bike. The landlord has no proprietary interest in the bike nor is it in his custody.

"control": Is the landlord in control of the bike? It is difficult to see how he is. Without removing the bike he cannot prevent the bike owner (and indeed others) from using it. He cannot take the bike away so as to have control of it because the Act gives him no power to do so. The control must exist before the section applies.

"bailee": Is the landlord a bailee? I do not think so. The bike has not been given into the landlord's custody by the bike owner for the landlord to do work on it or look after it. The landlord cannot be an involuntary bailee because a bailment requires the bailee to have physical possession of the thing in question.

However you look at it it seems that a condition for the section to apply is that the landlord must be exercising significant control over the bike.

I am not saying there is no remedy in law, just that it looks like it is not available under section 12. The position is not though clear cut and I can see a County Court judge finding for the landlord, but it would be interesting to see what the Court of Appeal would make of the situtation.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• New landlord being awkward.
                      petworld123
                      Hi
                      We currently own a flat above a takeaway which we are trying to sell. There is a current 80 year lease on the flat. The previous owner of the shop downstairs sold it on last year. The new owner of the freehold is unwilling to give us a copy of the landlords lease and refusing to give his solicitors...
                      17-07-2019, 16:14 PM
                    • Reply to New landlord being awkward.
                      leaseholder64
                      Who is the landlord referred to here?

You should be able to obtain copies of the various lease contracts from the Land Registry, for low double figures.
                      17-07-2019, 16:20 PM
                    • Reply to New landlord being awkward.
                      JK0
                      Won't your lease remain the same for the next 80 years? They don't get changed when a new freeholder buys.
                      17-07-2019, 16:19 PM
                    • Freeholders breach of the lease
                      surreygirl
                      We had a surveyor in last year in April 2018 which said that the outside render was now porous and needed to be repaired as a matter of urgency and should be a priority. At a meeting they voted to wait for a year until people had saved up the money and also they needed to have an asbestos test done....
                      16-06-2019, 09:39 AM
                    • Reply to Freeholders breach of the lease
                      surreygirl
                      I will start a new thread and thank you for your advice. Thankfully my tenant has a head on her shoulders and is not easily intimidated....
                      17-07-2019, 16:11 PM
                    • Reply to Freeholders breach of the lease
                      surreygirl
                      Yes I will call the citizens advice tomorrow in the UK and ask them what they think. A letter is out as he will see it is from me and send it back, so an email and get someone to post a letter from me from the UK. I will threaten legal action. However I will start a new thread as we are going off track....
                      17-07-2019, 16:10 PM
                    • Disputes with present freeholder
                      hexu
                      Hi there,

It's really a nightmare if the freeholder is bad enough!

When I purchased the property in 2006, the freehold was held by the Council. In August 2007, the Council sold the freehold of the building to a housing association. Major works of the building were planned...
                      15-07-2019, 21:08 PM
                    • Reply to Disputes with present freeholder
                      Macromia
                      Sadly this is too often the case - but the correct action in response to 'unreliable' freeholders is to take appropriate action relative to specific failures.
                      In this case, if major works are the issue, the relevant action is likely to be to challenge the reasonableness or quality of the works...
                      17-07-2019, 15:19 PM
                    • Solicitor incorrectly defined lease terms
                      rjb021080
                      Hi all. looking for some advice.

When buying a shared ownership property, the lease I thought I was buying into was 125 years. This was the paperwork received from the solicitor. The property was purchased in 2008. 11 years down the line and having recently decided to sell the property...
                      17-07-2019, 08:01 AM
                    • Reply to Solicitor incorrectly defined lease terms
                      Gordon999
                      Did you buy the property without seeing the solicitor ?

If you have proof you were informed of 125 years lease, then make a formal complaint against solicitor to SRA
                      17-07-2019, 15:08 PM
                    Working...
                    X