Approximate Cost Managing Agent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Approximate Cost Managing Agent

Not sure if correct title but looking for someone to manage finances and lease building responsibilities. Victorian 12 dwellings building in Cumbris.
    What would an average monthly charge per dwelling be ? Would it be usual to charge for extras such as getting quoted for work ?
    Any advice on making an appointment valued.

The managing agent for a block of flats is responsible for sending demands to leaseholders for payment of service charge and arranging the maintenance for the building include cleaning, gardening and insuring the building. The annual charge per flat may be £150 - £300 per annum depending on the agent.

You can find managing agents advertising their services in the local telephone directory or in Yellow Pages. The standard of service offered by a managing agent should be complying to the " RICS Residential Management Code" which you may find online or buy a hard copy for around £25 from RICS Online Bookshop.

Its better if you find a local managing agent working with local handymen/repair men. If you appoint a managing agent based 60 miles away to maintain your building and they are sending their workmen 60 miles distance to your block to change a light bulb, it does not look like good management.

https://arma.org.uk/downloader/blv/A...ging_Agent.pdf

Comment

Much appreciated Gordon.

Comment

I think that in Cumbria, the annual charge is more likely to be in the £150-£200 per annum range. It is better if you can contact leaseholders in other blocks nearby to see if they can recommend an agent rather than plucking a name at random from a directory. The agent should be able to let you have a list of any additional charges which may apply. I recommend that you ask the agent if they receive any benefits from using certain contractors or commission from insurers, brokers etc so that you start on a transparent basis and make it clear that you wish the agent to remain transparent at all times.

Comment

Thanks. What do forum members think would be a reasonable percentage to charge for major works a) preparation of specifications b) obtaining competitive tenders, tender reports and supervising all major works ?
          At what sort of level does something become a major work ?

Comment

It's not just "Major Works" - it's ALL maintenance procedures, from changing light bulbs, to a new roof

Most charge 10%.
            But Major Works of say £ 50,000 for a new roof, would be £ 5,000 extra, which is far TOO much to add for 3 phone call for quotes, 12 copies of stage one, two and 3, and one phone call to place the order.

supervising all major works. You mean supervising all works.
            Don't make me laugh, -- an agent supervising works,, pull the other one.

I have never seen an agent supervising anything. They want their nice warm office.

Comment

Extended from above.
              Major works is classed as any one item that exceeds £ 250 payment for any one leaseholder

Comment

Thanks ram, as usual informative and based on experience.

Comment

Originally posted by scot22 View Post
                  Thanks ram
                  Further to post 6, Agents can employ a project manager to look after extensive repairs / maintenance, which of course can add £ 1000 upwards to the quotes, together with the agents 10% on cost.
                  Agents are not qualified project managers, and in my view, wont know what to do, anyway

Comment

Thanks . I'm sure many blocks could be run by volunteers. However, past experience, work done by only a few who are subject to criticism.

Comment

What distance from the property could be considered local ?

Comment

Despite hours of internet search I have not been able to find a property manager, managing agent ( not sure of difference ) in South Cumbria. Can anyone recommend someone or even just know of one ? I'm not being lazy just increasingly frustrated by not finding any possibility. Please help.

Comment

As you are in South Cumbria ( latitude of Kendal / Windermere and below ) I may be able to help.
                          Will send you a private message later today.
                          Regarding local agents, then 10 miles could be considered local. But much, much further is often acceptable ( if you find a good one )

Comment

As you have 8 directors, THEY have to agree to employ a managing agent. Will they agree ?
                            If not, then you may have to go to the F.T.T. to get one appointed ( provided you can prove your case of the RMC being inept )
                            Hence I have not sent you a message yet.

Comment

Thanks ram. It is agreed.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Owning multiple falts
                                Sandy1986
                                In my flats one person owns 4 of the flats. I have been told that he still only gets one vote no matter how many he owns. Is this true and can you point me to the documentation behind it so I can back it up. This is not what I've been told....
                                26-06-2019, 19:59 PM
                              • Reply to Owning multiple falts
                                josepha333
                                Hi,

My understanding is that if the resolution is decided on a showing of hands, i.e., those attending the meeting (GM) he gets one vote if in person, if a poll is called he will be entitled to 4 votes. He would also be entitled to have 4 proxy votes, again these could be one attendee or...
                                27-06-2019, 01:11 AM
                                Gordon999
                                At a directors meeting, each director can exercise one vote.

At a meeting of leaseholders or a consultation by post, the leaseholder of each flat can exercise one vote.
                                27-06-2019, 01:04 AM
                              • Help Please...Example of Completed FTT Form
                                vmart
                                Hi, I just wondered if anyone has to hand (or can signpost me to copies online) an example of a completed 'Disputed service/admin charges' form used by the FTT for leaseholders, freeholders and the panel to complete. I have the form which does not appear to allow much space for comments so would be...
                                26-06-2019, 22:21 PM
                              • Reply to Help Please...Example of Completed FTT Form
                                JK0
                                You'll be asked to submit a statement at a later date. The form is really just to tell the FTT what further questions to ask you.

However, make sure you put down on the form all the items you dispute. You can't add them later.
                                26-06-2019, 22:26 PM
                              • Forming Recognised Tenants / Residents Association
                                Benzo
                                Hi all

Our block has recently achieved the RTM from a notoriously aggressive managing agent but the other block in our estate has not.

We'd like to form a residents association to ensure that both blocks are represented fairly in discussions with the RTMCo, the front block's...
                                22-06-2019, 09:45 AM
                              • Reply to Forming Recognised Tenants / Residents Association
                                Gordon999
                                Residents Association for each block of flat at your estate can help to give "additional voice" by having two groups on your estate; one group each representing the leaseholders in their block.

Each group with having their own set of RA committee members and their leader/spokesman....
                                26-06-2019, 22:09 PM
                                leaseholder64
                                Maybe. The Articles of Association of your specific company.

It is specifically not the case for RTM companies.
                                26-06-2019, 20:26 PM
                              • Leasehold Service Charges
                                Paulsen
                                I own a leasehold flat. There are only two flats and the other one comes with the freehold. We were in dispute over works and the managing agent did not issue service charge demands in accordance with my lease. It ended up in court, anyone in property disputes please demand it to be transferred to property...
                                26-06-2019, 18:55 PM
                              • Reply to Forming Recognised Tenants / Residents Association
                                ram
                                No, not a bad idea, but preferably not call it a residents association as residents associations have no clout.
                                no meaning, no power, and usually no influence.
                                However, because there are two blocks, it may well be appropriate ( although no legal standing ) to differentiate the 2 blocks from
                                26-06-2019, 17:31 PM
                              Working...
                              X