Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right to manage problems with other leaseholders

Hi All,

Just looking for some advice having taken over our block which now has RTM.

All seemed to be going well up until today when I received a final demand from the freeholder for their legal fees which amounted to just over 1k - I realise that we are liable for this and have been happy to pay my share as we all agreed.

There are 3 flats in the block and we all agreed to go RTM last year which all seemed to go smoothly. It was mostly handled by another leaseholder who took the lead with solicitors, etc.

The invoice was sent to him last October and he forwarded it to myself and the other leaseholder of the other flat (they both rent their flats out so aren't physically in the block). He suggested we pay the final invoice by each paying just over £300 each to cover our third which I had no hesitation in doing.

In February he forwarded a statement from the freeholder stating that the final costs were just over £700 remaining and to get everything finalised we should pay a little over £200 each to settle that statement and then everything would be settled. I again paid this and having not heard anything thought that would be it.

He recently sold his flat in April and passed all the RTM documentation onto me so that I could set up the bank account, companies house details, etc and get everything going which I have been doing.

However I have now seen that on this latest demand from the freeholder and having exchanged a few emails with their finance team that the only two payments they have received (or at least allocated) for the original legal fees invoice was from me - the payments I made in October and February.

So there is still around £500 remaining on the invoice for their legal fees which they are chasing hard for and I have overpaid my portion of that demand by paying the £200 in February.

I have emailed the leaseholders of the other flats explaining the situation and that the freeholder appears to have only received my payments including the overpayment and am hoping that it is just a mistake on their parts and that their payments may have been misallocated so to provide me with dates/amounts of any payments they have made.

However neither has responded yet and I am now worried that neither has paid anything.

If my worst fears are realised I just wondered what could be my next steps? The guy who sold his flat in April has resigned as a director of the RTM company but the other leaseholder is still listed.

I am in the process of setting up the bank account for the RTM company. Could I in theory invoice them both from the RTM company in order to pay the remaining balance and then pay myself back for my overpayment? I am also thinking I may just have to pay the freeholder this week with them having made a final demand thus would have paid the entire £1k+ balance myself.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Is the outstanding legal fees, billed to your name only or to name of other leaseholder or to name of RTM ?.

You should call by phone the other persons responsible to contribute and ask if they have paid yet ? You should not rely on email .

Comment

It is billed to the management company - no names are listed.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Non carpeted flat in breach of lease
        woodhar
        Just due to exchange on a leasehold flat and in the terms of the lease I am supposed to have carpet. I have laminate floor throughout. Literally due to exchange and buyer is asking for 2,000 pounds for new carpet. Says she cannot purchase without carpet as I am in breach of my lease. Have said I...
        25-06-2019, 14:17 PM
      • Reply to Non carpeted flat in breach of lease
        eagle2
        You state that your lease requires you to have a carpet and if that is the case, it would be reasonable to sell the flat in a condition which complies with the lease. The purchaser cannot expect an expensive carpet or a brand new carpet, Your offer to fit a carpet or make an allowance seems to be reasonable...
        26-06-2019, 05:20 AM
      • Breach of covenant in share of freehold
        barryz
        Hello everyone,

I own a leasehld flat and share of freehold, split equally between 4 directors of management company.

I believe one of directors may have breached there lease but Im not sure the others will see it that way.

The articles state matters must be decided...
        25-06-2019, 20:13 PM
      • Reply to Breach of covenant in share of freehold
        eagle2
        You are asking two questions, 1 is there a breach and 2 what if anything should be done about it.

1 We cannot answer this question unless you state what you consider to be the breach of the lease and you let us know the actual wording of the lease. A breach is not determined by the freeholder...
        26-06-2019, 05:03 AM
      • Director discrimination possibly?
        Stacker
        A leaseholder is threatening bringing a discrimination case against company as they are the only flat who is not a Director and many directors have come and gone also a director is appointing directors as per the AOA and not holding any AGMs to endorse the appointments.There is no automatic right to...
        22-06-2019, 20:14 PM
      • Reply to Director discrimination possibly?
        eagle2
        The old directors appear to have sold their apartments and are no longer involved so I suggest that you concentrate on the new directors and provide them with a list of suggestions in order of priority and let them have a reasonable amount of time to comply with the request.
        26-06-2019, 04:36 AM
      • Sinking fund breach of covennat?
        Stacker
        The level of the sinking fund has never been agreed by the managing agent or the Directors at any AGM in respect of the accounting years ending December 2016 2017 2018 and 2019 as required by the Deeds of Covenant.
        THE FIFTH SCHEDULE
        10. To set aside(which setting aside shall be for...
        16-06-2019, 19:27 PM
      • Reply to Sinking fund breach of covennat?
        eagle2
        There was no tax advantage to be gained by not having a sinking fund, quite the opposite. Buy to let investors can deduct service charges from rental income so by reducing the service charges, the directors increased their personal tax liability.

You stated in #25 that the FTT had allowed...
        26-06-2019, 04:15 AM
      • Reply to Breach of covenant in share of freehold
        leaseholder64
        What I was getting at is that the freeholder does not have to enforce covenants and there is no come back for not doing so unless they are themselves breaching a covenant. If they don't covenant with you, as leaseholder, to enforce the covenant, they are doing nothing wrong by not enforcing it. Note...
        25-06-2019, 23:47 PM
      • Reply to Director discrimination possibly?
        josepha333
        Considering all posts you need to understand you have to move away from company law & AoA and look at your rights as a leaseholder. You have stated this leaseholder understands the lease and RICS Code of Practice, therefore concentrate on what is not being done that should be done under the terms...
        25-06-2019, 22:26 PM
      Working...
      X