Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LLS1001
    replied
    Ok, many thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• Gordon999
    replied
    I would enter 50% of those figures on your tax returns ( you + partner ) and show the entry value at £13.5K in 2012 and sale value at £15K in 2017. So the capital gain by each person is only £1.5K .

Leave a comment:

• LLS1001
    replied
    That's incredibly helpful - thank you very much. I never considered that 50% of the value of the freehold would have been transferred to the value of our own flat when we extended the lease. That reflects the calculations done by the freehold company who valued it.

I'm not sure if you can answer this too but when completing the capital gains section of the self-assessment, I'm literally just putting those figures in 1) value of asset when we bought it: £27k and value when sold, £30k? When I called the tax office, they were talking about treating it as part disposal of land and that I may have to amend my previous assessment..... I couldn't understand what they were talking about! The consultant didn't really seem to either.

Leave a comment:

• Gordon999
    replied
    Lets say it is £54K .

Since you have extended your own lease from 69 years to 999 years and transferred 50% of the freehold value to your own flat, The value remaining in freehold must relate to lease extension cost payable by other flat.

So your acquisition cost in 2012 can be estimated at £27K and you sold for £30K in 2017, so your capital gain = £3K.

Leave a comment:

• LLS1001
    replied
    We bought it for £417,500 in 2012, so £54,275?

Leave a comment:

• Gordon999
    replied
    Assuming the cost of 90 years statutory lease extension is roughly 6-5% of the market value of the flat with 69 years remaining on the lease, and the approximate value of the freehold title is 2 x 6.5% = 13%

What is 13 % of your flat value in 2012 ?

Leave a comment:

• LLS1001
    replied
    I'm afraid I can't find one that will give me the value of it back in 2012 as it asks for the cost of the flat excl. the freehold. It was all combined when we bought. Maybe I've missed something.

Leave a comment:

• Gordon999
    replied
    What valuation does an on-line calculator give for the freehold title in 2012 ?

Leave a comment:

• LLS1001
    replied
    Thanks for your replies.

Yes, the freehold was registered in joint names (my partner and I lived in the property for 3 years and then let it out for 18 months before selling). We sold the freehold for £30,000 so over the CGT limits.

We had the freehold valued by a company at the time of flat sale and we offered it to the buyers at an extra cost of £30,000 but they declined. They must have changed their mind because they ended up buying it anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Gordon999
    replied
    Who are we ? Was the freehold registered in joint names ? ?

If so, then each joint owner can claim a capital gains tax free allowance of £11,700.

If the freehold title was sold for less than £23,400 ( 2 x £11,700) , then probably no tax to pay and you can use an online calculator to arrive at a rough value for 2012.

Leave a comment:

• eagle2
    replied
    Apologies, I misread, I assume that the flat was your private residence, Did the vendor not allocate a value when you purchased? It looks like you had a partial disposal when you extended the term of your lease and then a final disposal when you sold. I recommend that you contact an accountant,

Leave a comment:

• eagle2
    replied
    You should have apportioned the cost in 2017 when you sold the flat. If you did not do so at the time, the cost of the freehold will be nil.

Leave a comment:

• LLS1001
    started a topic Sale of a freehold

Sale of a freehold

Hi,

When we purchased our London flat in 2012, it came with the freehold (to our upstairs flat and the one downstairs). Both flats had a lease of 69 years when we bought it, however, we increased ours to 999. There is also no ground rent. We sold our flat in 2017 but kept hold of the freehold. In 2017 we sold the freehold separately - a freehold company offered us an amount but the leaseholders of both the flats had first refusal and they ended up buying it. We are now completing our tax return as selling the freehold has capital gains tax implications. However, because the freehold came with the flat when we bought it, we don't know how to value it. Do we have to use a surveyor to price it or is it safe to use an on-line calculator? I feel like the value should only be what someone is willing to pay for it....? If anyone has gone through a similar experience, I'd be grateful to get your thoughts.

Thanks.

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Appointing a manager - Manager Recommendations Sought
    by Stan_18
    Hi all, any help appreciated.

I am considering applying to the FTT to have a manger appointed due to ongoing failure of my freeholder to uphold covenants of the lease (currently the gutters are blocked and causing damage to my property, no reply from freeholder).

Context...
    15-12-2019, 21:43 PM
  • Reply to Appointing a manager - Manager Recommendations Sought
    by Gordon999
    Consult a local letting agent in your town to find a local person to manage your little block. Or do it yourself .

If the problem is a blocked gutter it must be the down pipe that need clearing ( window cleaner may be the person with a ladder ) or replace the plastic pipe.
    15-12-2019, 23:53 PM
  • 18-month rule and invalid demands
    by MartynSE5
    I would appreciate opinions on this situation, please:

- Demands for service charge and ground rent for 2018 were sent in December 2017
    - Delays in auditing accounts for 2018 caused the landlord's agent to send 20b notices in June 2019, predicting a £30k shortfall
    14-12-2019, 05:54 AM
  • Reply to 18-month rule and invalid demands
    by MartynSE5
    Thank you for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it.
    15-12-2019, 18:06 PM
  • Reply to Problem with Service Charge Demands
    by bigalxyz
    Thank you.

Now...I've just discovered something which might muddy the waters. The guy who was previously:
    (a) director of the RMC
    (b) owner of the proprerty management company appointed by the RMC
    (c) the freeholder

...it would appear is not really...
    15-12-2019, 13:20 PM
  • Problem with Service Charge Demands
    by bigalxyz
    Recently appointed director of RMC, self-managing for the first time. Having a problem recovering 2019H2 service charge (the 2019H2 demand was issued by the previous external property manager) from one leaseholder, who believes that the demand was not issued in accordance with the law but is refusing...
    14-12-2019, 14:13 PM
    by leaseholder64
    The only part of L&T 87 referring to invoices is the section 47, already referenced above.

Can you confirm that you gave the full name and residential or registered office address of the landlord.

Although not L&T 87, did you give the registered office address, and...
    15-12-2019, 12:32 PM
    by bigalxyz
    I reissued the invoice yesterday - I included the freeholder's name and address, included the "summary of rights and obligations" documents, I sent everything by email but also printed out and posted, and I removed the ground rent part (ref: discussions about combined demands).

15-12-2019, 09:21 AM
  • Reply to 18-month rule and invalid demands
    by Macromia
    It is still not possible to answer your question - and it may not be possible to provide an answer until you have actually received a demand for the final sum.

It sounds like your service charges are accounted for using calendar years, so the year in question runs from 1-Jan-2108 to 31-Dec-2018...
    15-12-2019, 07:54 AM
  • Reply to Opinion on advice to landlord from its agent
    by MartynSE5
    I was deliberately vague about the particular covenant because I'm interested in opinions about biased advice from agents, rather than the merits of enforcing any particular covenant (which doesn't involve fire safety).

My concern is that we were led to believe there was an urgent need...
    14-12-2019, 22:31 PM
Working...
X