Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sale of a freehold

Hi,

When we purchased our London flat in 2012, it came with the freehold (to our upstairs flat and the one downstairs). Both flats had a lease of 69 years when we bought it, however, we increased ours to 999. There is also no ground rent. We sold our flat in 2017 but kept hold of the freehold. In 2017 we sold the freehold separately - a freehold company offered us an amount but the leaseholders of both the flats had first refusal and they ended up buying it. We are now completing our tax return as selling the freehold has capital gains tax implications. However, because the freehold came with the flat when we bought it, we don't know how to value it. Do we have to use a surveyor to price it or is it safe to use an on-line calculator? I feel like the value should only be what someone is willing to pay for it....? If anyone has gone through a similar experience, I'd be grateful to get your thoughts.

Thanks.

You should have apportioned the cost in 2017 when you sold the flat. If you did not do so at the time, the cost of the freehold will be nil.

Comment

Apologies, I misread, I assume that the flat was your private residence, Did the vendor not allocate a value when you purchased? It looks like you had a partial disposal when you extended the term of your lease and then a final disposal when you sold. I recommend that you contact an accountant,

Comment

Who are we ? Was the freehold registered in joint names ? ?

If so, then each joint owner can claim a capital gains tax free allowance of £11,700.

If the freehold title was sold for less than £23,400 ( 2 x £11,700) , then probably no tax to pay and you can use an online calculator to arrive at a rough value for 2012.

Comment

Thanks for your replies.

Yes, the freehold was registered in joint names (my partner and I lived in the property for 3 years and then let it out for 18 months before selling). We sold the freehold for £30,000 so over the CGT limits.

We had the freehold valued by a company at the time of flat sale and we offered it to the buyers at an extra cost of £30,000 but they declined. They must have changed their mind because they ended up buying it anyway.

Comment

What valuation does an on-line calculator give for the freehold title in 2012 ?

Comment

I'm afraid I can't find one that will give me the value of it back in 2012 as it asks for the cost of the flat excl. the freehold. It was all combined when we bought. Maybe I've missed something.

Comment

Assuming the cost of 90 years statutory lease extension is roughly 6-5% of the market value of the flat with 69 years remaining on the lease, and the approximate value of the freehold title is 2 x 6.5% = 13%

What is 13 % of your flat value in 2012 ?

Comment

We bought it for £417,500 in 2012, so £54,275?

Comment

Lets say it is £54K .

Since you have extended your own lease from 69 years to 999 years and transferred 50% of the freehold value to your own flat, The value remaining in freehold must relate to lease extension cost payable by other flat.

So your acquisition cost in 2012 can be estimated at £27K and you sold for £30K in 2017, so your capital gain = £3K.

Comment

That's incredibly helpful - thank you very much. I never considered that 50% of the value of the freehold would have been transferred to the value of our own flat when we extended the lease. That reflects the calculations done by the freehold company who valued it.

I'm not sure if you can answer this too but when completing the capital gains section of the self-assessment, I'm literally just putting those figures in 1) value of asset when we bought it: £27k and value when sold, £30k? When I called the tax office, they were talking about treating it as part disposal of land and that I may have to amend my previous assessment..... I couldn't understand what they were talking about! The consultant didn't really seem to either.

Comment

I would enter 50% of those figures on your tax returns ( you + partner ) and show the entry value at £13.5K in 2012 and sale value at £15K in 2017. So the capital gain by each person is only £1.5K .

Comment

Ok, many thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Owning multiple falts
                            Sandy1986
                            In my flats one person owns 4 of the flats. I have been told that he still only gets one vote no matter how many he owns. Is this true and can you point me to the documentation behind it so I can back it up. This is not what I've been told....
                            26-06-2019, 19:59 PM
                          • Reply to Owning multiple falts
                            josepha333
                            Hi,

My understanding is that if the resolution is decided on a showing of hands, i.e., those attending the meeting (GM) he gets one vote if in person, if a poll is called he will be entitled to 4 votes. He would also be entitled to have 4 proxy votes, again these could be one attendee or...
                            27-06-2019, 01:11 AM
                            Gordon999
                            At a directors meeting, each director can exercise one vote.

At a meeting of leaseholders or a consultation by post, the leaseholder of each flat can exercise one vote.
                            27-06-2019, 01:04 AM
                          • Help Please...Example of Completed FTT Form
                            vmart
                            Hi, I just wondered if anyone has to hand (or can signpost me to copies online) an example of a completed 'Disputed service/admin charges' form used by the FTT for leaseholders, freeholders and the panel to complete. I have the form which does not appear to allow much space for comments so would be...
                            26-06-2019, 22:21 PM
                          • Reply to Help Please...Example of Completed FTT Form
                            JK0
                            You'll be asked to submit a statement at a later date. The form is really just to tell the FTT what further questions to ask you.

However, make sure you put down on the form all the items you dispute. You can't add them later.
                            26-06-2019, 22:26 PM
                          • Forming Recognised Tenants / Residents Association
                            Benzo
                            Hi all

Our block has recently achieved the RTM from a notoriously aggressive managing agent but the other block in our estate has not.

We'd like to form a residents association to ensure that both blocks are represented fairly in discussions with the RTMCo, the front block's...
                            22-06-2019, 09:45 AM
                          • Reply to Forming Recognised Tenants / Residents Association
                            Gordon999
                            Residents Association for each block of flat at your estate can help to give "additional voice" by having two groups on your estate; one group each representing the leaseholders in their block.

Each group with having their own set of RA committee members and their leader/spokesman....
                            26-06-2019, 22:09 PM
                            leaseholder64
                            Maybe. The Articles of Association of your specific company.

It is specifically not the case for RTM companies.
                            26-06-2019, 20:26 PM
                          • Leasehold Service Charges
                            Paulsen
                            I own a leasehold flat. There are only two flats and the other one comes with the freehold. We were in dispute over works and the managing agent did not issue service charge demands in accordance with my lease. It ended up in court, anyone in property disputes please demand it to be transferred to property...
                            26-06-2019, 18:55 PM
                          • Reply to Forming Recognised Tenants / Residents Association
                            ram
                            No, not a bad idea, but preferably not call it a residents association as residents associations have no clout.
                            no meaning, no power, and usually no influence.
                            However, because there are two blocks, it may well be appropriate ( although no legal standing ) to differentiate the 2 blocks from
                            26-06-2019, 17:31 PM
                          Working...
                          X