Variation of Lease

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Variation of Lease

own two apartments in a block of six. The ownership structure was recently changed from 6 x Freehold apartments to 6 x Leasehold apartments and the Freehold owned by a Management company, a single share of which is owned by each of the Tenanted apartments and the directors of which are the tenants of the apartments.
    One of the apartments has recently changed hands.
    The new owner wishes to make alterations.
    Some are non-structural, some are structural.
    The Lease states categorically that structural changes are not allowed. There is no leeway for any amendment to this condition.
    It has been proposed that the Lease is amended by Deed of Variation to allow structural changes.
    My question is this; Does there have to be a separate Deed of Variation for each apartment, signed by the Tenant of each apartment, and all six Tenants doing so for such a Variation to become effective? What if 4 of the 6 Tenants in the building sign a Variation but 2 of the 6 do not. Does majority rule apply? And can the new owner then legitimately go ahead with the structural changes?

Six freehold apartments sounds seriously broken.

Does the lease say that the lessor will enforce that covenant against other leaseholders? If not, there is no need to alter the lease. Just issue a licence to alter.

(Of course, many alterations will require other alternations to the lease to make the change fair to other leaseholders.

If there is a requirement to enforce the covenant, you will need to change all the leases.

A variation will require permission from lenders.

Comment

You state,
      "The Lease states categorically that structural changes are not allowed. There is no leeway for any amendment to this condition."
      Therefore you Have to enforce the lease and say that permission is not granted, as it is against the lease covenants.

Job done, case closed

The New resident knew Full well that structural changes are not allowed.( There is a valid reason why structural changes are not allowed.)
      Tell me that it is the new resident that wants to change the rules to suit themselves ?

Comment

If any of the leaseholders do not voluntarily agree to a lease variation you would need to get the proposed variation agreed by a court or tribunal (and the grounds you mention do not sound like something that would allow a tribunal/court to vary a lease).

On the limited information we have, I would agree with RAM, in that it doesn't seem possible to vary the lease and it needs to be enforced (although whether the proposed changes are actually completely prohibited depends on the precise wording of the leases).

Comment

Thanks for the responses. As a Tenant, I do not want the proposed structural changes to go ahead. The precise wording is as follows; Alterations

1.1 Not to make any external or structural alteration or addition to the Property or make any opening in any boundary of the Property or cut or maim any structural parts of the Building.

1.2 Not to make any internal, non-structural alteration or addition to the Property, or alteration to the plan, design or elevation of the Property, without the prior written consent of the Landlord, such consent not to be unreasonably withheld or delayed.

Does that help?

Comment

Yes, this changes things.

1.2 Not to make any internal, non-structural alteration or addition to the Property, or alteration to the plan, design or elevation of the Property, without the prior written consent of the Landlord, such consent not to be unreasonably withheld or delayed.

You can make internal alterations with landlord consent, in writing, but No structural alterations.

It is up to the Directors to enforce the lease, - but not to alter the lease.

Your lease has to be "defective" to have a legal change to it.
            Your leases are not "defective"., therefore the is no valid reason whatsoever to even attempt to change the lease to allow structural changes.

There is no point in having a legally draw up lease that protects the fabric of the building; protects the residents in the building from structural alterations that may eventually put the building at risk of irreparable damage that only rears its head many, many years after the alterations, just to be changed on a whim.

If the other Directors wish to agree to breaching the lease on this very important matter ( structural ), then they are not worthy of being a Director.

You didn't answer the question
            "it is the new resident that wants to change the rules and do these alterations" ?

Comment

The new buyer may not be a new resident.

The new buyer may be a "property refurbisher " to convert kitchen into second bedroom and convert lounge into lounge with open kitchen and then sell on to take profit.

Comment

The opening post states:
                "One of the apartments has recently changed hands.
                The new owner wishes to make alterations.
                Some are non-structural, some are structural."

So we already know that it is the new owner who wants to make the alterations.

This is irrelevant though, because it doesn't matter which leaseholder wants the alterations, the structural alterations are still not allowed by the lease.
                The non structural alterations need to be allowed unless there are justifiable reasons why they should not go ahead.

Comment

O.K., so I forgot The new owner wishes to make alterations. But I wished to state as post number 7 ( Gordon 999 ).

We have had 2 developers here, and one of them I refused to give permission on some alterations, or even discus with other shareholders, as it was clear that he was a developer, and he had no respect for the residents, and just being a pain with builders cars everywhere ( which was a breach of the lease ). And no request to alter anything was requested from him

The proposed alterations were not for his benefit, therefore that was one of the reasons to refuse, together with his arrogant attitude.
                  He did what he could, then sold within 6 months.
                  Later we ( I ) had to demand the new owner put right some breaches of the lease.

The other couple ( 2nd ) had no intention of living there, but just to sublet and refused to comply to the lease regarding common access ( egress to and from ) and totally refusing to be decent regarding access, blocking people in, refusing to tell builders not to park on the driveway and also preventing residents from parking. They would just get in there cars and drive away when confronted.

It was clear they would have no regard for the lease, so when they asked to sublet, ( after I found out - and they had not asked permission, and I made them ask for permission ) I refused permission to sublet.
                  ( This Was conveyed to the other leaseholders, due to the fact of "Not to be unreasonably refused" covenant )
                  They had to sell the flat. The sub-tenants that were due to move in sued them for breach of contract.

To Sublet "Not to be unreasonably refused" was "reasonably refused" on above grounds.
                  And all done without the aid of solicitors.

Yes, I hate developers.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Non carpeted flat in breach of lease
                    woodhar
                    Just due to exchange on a leasehold flat and in the terms of the lease I am supposed to have carpet. I have laminate floor throughout. Literally due to exchange and buyer is asking for 2,000 pounds for new carpet. Says she cannot purchase without carpet as I am in breach of my lease. Have said I...
                    25-06-2019, 14:17 PM
                  • Reply to Non carpeted flat in breach of lease
                    eagle2
                    You state that your lease requires you to have a carpet and if that is the case, it would be reasonable to sell the flat in a condition which complies with the lease. The purchaser cannot expect an expensive carpet or a brand new carpet, Your offer to fit a carpet or make an allowance seems to be reasonable...
                    26-06-2019, 05:20 AM
                  • Breach of covenant in share of freehold
                    barryz
                    Hello everyone,

I own a leasehld flat and share of freehold, split equally between 4 directors of management company.

I believe one of directors may have breached there lease but Im not sure the others will see it that way.

The articles state matters must be decided...
                    25-06-2019, 20:13 PM
                  • Reply to Breach of covenant in share of freehold
                    eagle2
                    You are asking two questions, 1 is there a breach and 2 what if anything should be done about it.

1 We cannot answer this question unless you state what you consider to be the breach of the lease and you let us know the actual wording of the lease. A breach is not determined by the freeholder...
                    26-06-2019, 05:03 AM
                  • Director discrimination possibly?
                    Stacker
                    A leaseholder is threatening bringing a discrimination case against company as they are the only flat who is not a Director and many directors have come and gone also a director is appointing directors as per the AOA and not holding any AGMs to endorse the appointments.There is no automatic right to...
                    22-06-2019, 20:14 PM
                  • Reply to Director discrimination possibly?
                    eagle2
                    The old directors appear to have sold their apartments and are no longer involved so I suggest that you concentrate on the new directors and provide them with a list of suggestions in order of priority and let them have a reasonable amount of time to comply with the request.
                    26-06-2019, 04:36 AM
                  • Sinking fund breach of covennat?
                    Stacker
                    The level of the sinking fund has never been agreed by the managing agent or the Directors at any AGM in respect of the accounting years ending December 2016 2017 2018 and 2019 as required by the Deeds of Covenant.
                    THE FIFTH SCHEDULE
                    10. To set aside(which setting aside shall be for...
                    16-06-2019, 19:27 PM
                  • Reply to Sinking fund breach of covennat?
                    eagle2
                    There was no tax advantage to be gained by not having a sinking fund, quite the opposite. Buy to let investors can deduct service charges from rental income so by reducing the service charges, the directors increased their personal tax liability.

You stated in #25 that the FTT had allowed...
                    26-06-2019, 04:15 AM
                  • Reply to Breach of covenant in share of freehold
                    leaseholder64
                    What I was getting at is that the freeholder does not have to enforce covenants and there is no come back for not doing so unless they are themselves breaching a covenant. If they don't covenant with you, as leaseholder, to enforce the covenant, they are doing nothing wrong by not enforcing it. Note...
                    25-06-2019, 23:47 PM
                  • Reply to Director discrimination possibly?
                    josepha333
                    Considering all posts you need to understand you have to move away from company law & AoA and look at your rights as a leaseholder. You have stated this leaseholder understands the lease and RICS Code of Practice, therefore concentrate on what is not being done that should be done under the terms...
                    25-06-2019, 22:26 PM
                  Working...
                  X