Damp in old building with NO DPC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repeat apologies to Stacker and thanks to everyone who has made helpful responses for me. Everything will be resolved !

Comment

Originally posted by scot22 View Post
      Repeat apologies to Stacker and thanks to everyone who has made helpful responses for me. Everything will be resolved !
      That's ok,,,good if everyone can share and help each other..

Comment

Sorry to go on about damp but I have been doing some research and LEASE state on their website that
        You should refer to the terms of your lease to establish who is responsible for the part of the building concerned. Typically the exterior of the building is the landlord’s responsibility, but they may not be obliged to carry out improvements such as installation of a damp proof course where none exists at the moment.

Comment

Stacke r U think damp issues are possibly one of the most common concerns. My legal enquiries have in variable been met with the response 'perhaps '. In my case it is tanking a first floor flat where none existed, the flat was priced to reflect damp issues and a further reduction given for surveyor recommended work to be done. Definitely wall interior, not in lease but still not resolved........

Comment

Stacke r U think damp issues are possibly one of the most common concerns. My legal enquiries have in variable been met with the response 'perhaps '. In my case it is tanking a first floor flat where none existed, the flat was priced to reflect damp issues and a further reduction given for surveyor recommended work to be done. Definitely wall interior, not in lease but still not resolved........
            So what are they going to do about the damp? Did you all get a surveyor's professional opinion? That is what I have done and I am awaiting for his report to say where and what the damp is an how to treat it?

Comment

Yes. I've put on another thread about difference of opinion. His surveyor says tank. That would benefit his flat and only his flat. He wants it to be paid for him. Freeholde r surveyor treat the wall which will benefit building. F H responsibility to pay. This has dragged on for years !

Comment

Yes. I've put on another thread about difference of opinion. His surveyor says tank. That would benefit his flat and only his flat. He wants it to be paid for him. Freeholde r surveyor treat the wall which will benefit building. F H responsibility to pay. This has dragged on for years !
                So what are you all going to do? Surely if a surveyor has said tanking then that is the sensible way forward?

Comment

Originally posted by Stacker View Post

So what are you all going to do? Surely if a surveyor has said tanking then that is the sensible way forward?
                  It was a surveyor, but not the OP's surveyor. The OP is suggesting that the surveyor is providing a solution that is locally optimal for just one flat, rather than one that is the best solution, taken as a whole

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post

It was a surveyor, but not the OP's surveyor. The OP is suggesting that the surveyor is providing a solution that is locally optimal for just one flat, rather than one that is the best solution, taken as a whole
                    I thought surveyors RICS are under a professional obligation to provide impartial advice for the building and the flat? Getting two surveyors seems crazy!

Comment

Latest development with damp...have been asked to inspect flat and all shareholders want to view, do all leaseholders have the right to view I thought it was either the managing agent views witha surveyor or one of the directors views with a surveyor as representatives of the company? It is getting silly me thinks wher a group of people want to inspect a flat? The owner does not want a crowd?

Comment

You are right, it is crazy. He got surveyor to advise solely on his flat, Freeholder for the building according to lease. Likelihood now is for third, appointed by RICS. It's become rather surreal.
                        I think it highly unlikely that leaseholders have a right, certainly not for all of them. That would not be reasonable. What would be the purpose ?

Comment

You are right, it is crazy. He got surveyor to advise solely on his flat, Freeholder for the building according to lease. Likelihood now is for third, appointed by RICS. It's become rather surreal.
                          I think it highly unlikely that leaseholders have a right, certainly not for all of them. That would not be reasonable. What would be the purpose ?
                          Hi Scot, Is he a director and a leaseholder then? I think it is only the company Lessor and its agents meaning the directors /Managing agent can inspect with or without surveyor/workmen?

Comment

I was referring to your situation. Our gentleman is an individually minded director. He succeeded in delaying co surveyor going in to flat for ten months !
                            unfortunately there are 8 directors, at one point 12, so decision making is problematic.
                            There are some decisive actions I would take it I could.

Comment

I was referring to your situation. Our gentleman is an individually minded director. He succeeded in delaying co surveyor going in to flat for ten months !
                              unfortunately there are 8 directors, at one point 12, so decision making is problematic.
                              There are some decisive actions I would take it I could.
                              Even if he is a director, he would still need the other directors agreement to appoint a surveyor surely?

Comment

Would this be enough to warrant damp proof repairs? Lease states
                                hereby covenants with the leaseholder as follows:
                                The FIFTH SCHEDULE states…
                                “That the Lessor will at all times during the term to keep in good and substantial repair and in clean and proper order those parts and appurtenances….
                                4.4 Permit the Lessor and each Lessee of a flat in the building with or without workmen and all persons authorised by any of them at all reasonable times and whenever possible giving seven days’ notice in writing (but at any time in case of emergency) during said term to enter into upon the Demised Premises or any part therof for the purpose of repairing or altering any part of the building or executing repairs or alterations to any adjoining or contiguous premises of for the purposes of making repairing maintaining supporting rebuilding cleansing lighting or keeping in good order and condition all roofs foundations damp courses tanks sewers drains pipes cables watercourse gutters wires party or other structures or other conveniences belonging to or serving or used for the Building or any part therof and also for the purposes of laying down maintain repairing and testing drainage gas and water pipes and electrical wires and cables and for similar purposes the Lessor or the Lessee so entering or authorising entry (as the case may be) making good all damage occasioned to the Demised Premises.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• New landlord being awkward.
                                  petworld123
                                  Hi
                                  We currently own a flat above a takeaway which we are trying to sell. There is a current 80 year lease on the flat. The previous owner of the shop downstairs sold it on last year. The new owner of the freehold is unwilling to give us a copy of the landlords lease and refusing to give his solicitors...
                                  17-07-2019, 16:14 PM
                                • Reply to New landlord being awkward.
                                  leaseholder64
                                  Who is the landlord referred to here?

You should be able to obtain copies of the various lease contracts from the Land Registry, for low double figures.
                                  17-07-2019, 16:20 PM
                                • Reply to New landlord being awkward.
                                  JK0
                                  Won't your lease remain the same for the next 80 years? They don't get changed when a new freeholder buys.
                                  17-07-2019, 16:19 PM
                                • Freeholders breach of the lease
                                  surreygirl
                                  We had a surveyor in last year in April 2018 which said that the outside render was now porous and needed to be repaired as a matter of urgency and should be a priority. At a meeting they voted to wait for a year until people had saved up the money and also they needed to have an asbestos test done....
                                  16-06-2019, 09:39 AM
                                • Reply to Freeholders breach of the lease
                                  surreygirl
                                  I will start a new thread and thank you for your advice. Thankfully my tenant has a head on her shoulders and is not easily intimidated....
                                  17-07-2019, 16:11 PM
                                • Reply to Freeholders breach of the lease
                                  surreygirl
                                  Yes I will call the citizens advice tomorrow in the UK and ask them what they think. A letter is out as he will see it is from me and send it back, so an email and get someone to post a letter from me from the UK. I will threaten legal action. However I will start a new thread as we are going off track....
                                  17-07-2019, 16:10 PM
                                • Disputes with present freeholder
                                  hexu
                                  Hi there,

It's really a nightmare if the freeholder is bad enough!

When I purchased the property in 2006, the freehold was held by the Council. In August 2007, the Council sold the freehold of the building to a housing association. Major works of the building were planned...
                                  15-07-2019, 21:08 PM
                                • Reply to Disputes with present freeholder
                                  Macromia
                                  Sadly this is too often the case - but the correct action in response to 'unreliable' freeholders is to take appropriate action relative to specific failures.
                                  In this case, if major works are the issue, the relevant action is likely to be to challenge the reasonableness or quality of the works...
                                  17-07-2019, 15:19 PM
                                • Solicitor incorrectly defined lease terms
                                  rjb021080
                                  Hi all. looking for some advice.

When buying a shared ownership property, the lease I thought I was buying into was 125 years. This was the paperwork received from the solicitor. The property was purchased in 2008. 11 years down the line and having recently decided to sell the property...
                                  17-07-2019, 08:01 AM
                                • Reply to Solicitor incorrectly defined lease terms
                                  Gordon999
                                  Did you buy the property without seeing the solicitor ?

If you have proof you were informed of 125 years lease, then make a formal complaint against solicitor to SRA
                                  17-07-2019, 15:08 PM
                                Working...
                                X