Covenants relating to landscaped area

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Covenants relating to landscaped area

We live in a small development of 8 houses. When the building work was finished our local council place covenents on the site such as: no house to used for a business but more particularly that the landscaped area with trees and fencing had to be maintained in good order. The counci refused to adopt the area without a substantial payout. .Eventually, we were advised to set up a limited company at Companies House after buying up the landscaped area. Now after 20 years of filing returns i.e a balance sheet and shareholder list ,we wonder what would happen if we dissolved the company. Could the council force us to pay for maintenance of the landscaping involving some mowing and tree care?

Generally you don't want a situation where part of an estate has reverted to the Crown, and you do want a situation where someone can be made to pay for maintaining the surrounding land.

Also, if there were someone to enforce against, the council might well enforce using anti-social behaviour legislation, rather than the covenant.

In any case you need to clarify why the council was able to apply a covenant. Where they the previous owner, or did they actually apply a planning condition, and the developer then added the covenant to ensure compliance.

Also, in covenant cases, it is normally important to see the exact wording, to get an idea of who could enforce.

Note that, if the land had development potential, letting it go bona vacantia might lead to an unwelcome development, on your doorstep.

Comment

on a neighbouring development the council adopted the amenity land but did not in our case because the builders did not want to pay the council to adopt it.So it was sold on to a management company from whom we ,miraculously, were able to buy it for £5k.At that time, 2000 our council tax was £150pa and fees to the management company were £100 pa and rising at 30% a year. Hence we have saved, probably, thousands.
      The covenents in force are, simply, that we maintain the landscaped area and fencing in good order.I shall probably contact the council ,again, to ask what they would do if we dissolved the company. I take your point about potential development of the land .Originally there was an application to build 12 houses here but only 8 were permitted..In these relaxed times possibly the council could sell the land on to new developers. But who owns the land we currently own if the company is dissolved. A three pipe problem as a Holmes would ask

Comment

If the company is dissolved, the liquidators will try to sell the land. Failing that, it will eventually revert to the Crown, or the Duchy of Lancaster, etc., who will not maintain it, although an attempt will be made to sell it to some of the residents.

I'm totally confused by your description of the costs, how they increase with time, and why you were making a saving over adoption.

Councils are reluctant to adopt even roads these days as they represent ongoing costs.

Comment

I would have thought that it is best to retain some say in who owns the land and what happens to that land. Alternatively, it must have some value so you could consider selling it. The Council could object to the Company being dissolved whilst there are covenants remaining.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Freeholders breach of the lease
            surreygirl
            We had a surveyor in last year in April 2018 which said that the outside render was now porous and needed to be repaired as a matter of urgency and should be a priority. At a meeting they voted to wait for a year until people had saved up the money and also they needed to have an asbestos test done....
            16-06-2019, 09:39 AM
          • Reply to Freeholders breach of the lease
            surreygirl
            They are in a position. One is worth a god few million, one is a well known artist, the others are all in well paid jobs and there are two of them whilst there is only one of me!...
            19-06-2019, 12:50 PM
            surreygirl
            No there is no allowance for a reserve fund. However I have always put away a few 100 a month just in case of any disaster. The other leasses are all high earners, they will not have a problem rustling up the money. If they had got on with it in 2011 it would have been a lot cheaper, but they didnt....
            19-06-2019, 12:48 PM
            surreygirl
            Yes I have had the flat for 30 years, it it was in 2011 that the problems of penetrating damp became known, but the people in charge at the time chose to ignore it. I even got in my own surveyor but they were immune to what he said. Finally I insisted on a surveyor checking the whole building and he...
            19-06-2019, 12:45 PM
            surreygirl
            There is nothing in the lease in respect of emergency repairs....
            19-06-2019, 12:41 PM
          • Approximate Cost Managing Agent
            scot22
            Not sure if correct title but looking for someone to manage finances and lease building responsibilities. Victorian 12 dwellings building in Cumbris.
            What would an average monthly charge per dwelling be ? Would it be usual to charge for extras such as getting quoted for work ?
            Any advice...
            13-06-2019, 11:12 AM
          • Reply to Approximate Cost Managing Agent
            scot22
            What distance from the property could be considered local ?
            19-06-2019, 10:39 AM
          • Periodic tenancy and transfer fees
            vmart
            We are considering renting out a property and creating a periodic tenancy rather than AST from the start. However, we are concerned that we will need to pay the freeholder £25 per month transfer fee (per lease) required when we underlet as the tenancy will, in effect, be renewed on a monthly basis....
            18-06-2019, 08:12 AM
          • Reply to Periodic tenancy and transfer fees
            Lawcruncher
            "However, we are concerned that we will need to pay the freeholder £25 per month transfer fee (per lease) required when we underlet as the tenancy will, in effect, be renewed on a monthly basis."

A periodic tenancy is a single tenancy not a series of tenancies. You only have...
            19-06-2019, 09:14 AM
          • Sinking fund breach of covennat?
            Stacker
            The level of the sinking fund has never been agreed by the managing agent or the Directors at any AGM in respect of the accounting years ending December 2016 2017 2018 and 2019 as required by the Deeds of Covenant.
            THE FIFTH SCHEDULE
            10. To set aside(which setting aside shall be for...
            16-06-2019, 19:27 PM
          Working...
          X