Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help Negotiating Lease Extension Premium

Apologies for this long post.

I need your help negotiating my lease extension please.
    My surveyor says there's no point negotiating it as the landlord's proposed figure on counter notice £18,000 (reduced to £16,000 after I rang and negotiated the counter notice) (Now £15,400 after I applied to FTB) is a good offer.

If a novice like me can reduce it from £18,000 to £15,400 I wonder what a professional can do.

Below is the LL's surveyor's calc.

Reading through FTTB judgements it appears the capitalisation rate should be 6.5% not 6%.

Valuation Date 19/07/2018
    Lease start date 24/06/1966
    Term 125
    Expiry date 23/06/2091
    Unexpired term 72.93
    Rent receivable by landlord £30.00

5.00% Deferment
    6.00% Capitalisation (this I believe should be 6.5%, shall state tribunal decision on this point)

VALUES (Wondering about these figures as I purchased at £260,000 with benefit of s.42 notice. Similar ppty sold for £289,000 a month prior to my completion)
    Freehold Vacant Possession £280,000
    Extended Lease Value differential 99% £277,200
    Leasehold Vacant Possession £254,800
    91.00% Differential (Is this Relativity? The graphs give an average of 94.04%, highest being 95.32% lowest is 92.47% ironically this lowest is the graph of the LL's surveyor but for some reason he uses an even lower figure)

TERM 1 £30.00
    x YP 72.93 years @ 6.00% 16.4288
    £493

REVERSION FHVP £280,000
    x PV 72.93 years @ 5.00% 0.0285
    £7,977
    £8,470

Less Value of Landlord's proposed interest £280,000
    x PV 162.93 years @ 5.00% 0.0004
    (Existing term plus 90 years) £99
    Total diminution £8,371

CALCULATION OF MARRIAGE VALUE
    Tenant's Extended Lease Value £277,200
    Landlords' Extended Lease Value £99
    Sum of Proposed Extended Lease Interests £277,299
    Less
    Landlords' Present Interests £8,470
    Tenant's Present Interest £254,800
    £263,270
    Marriage Value £14,029
    Take 50% Marriage Share £7,014

PREMIUM PAYABLE
    Diminution in Landlord's Interest (para 3) £8,371
    Plus Landlord's Share of Marriage Value (para 4) £7,014
    ----------------
    Total Premium £15,385
    Say £15,400

Compare with my surveyor's

Original Term Lease Length 125
    From Date: 24-06-66
    Valuation Date: 19-07-18
    Freehold Capitalisation Rate 6.5%
    Freehold Deferment Rate 5%
    Extended Lease Reduction (from FHVP) 99%
    Relativity 92.47%
    Ground Rent (years) (Ground Rent) Term 1
    £15
    Ground Rent (years) (Ground Rent) Term 2
    £30
    Total (years) 72.93

Extended Lease Term 162.93 GIA 628 sq.ft
    Unimproved FHVP Value £287,879 £458
    87.10%
    Extended Lease Value £285,000 £454
    Existing Lease Value £266,202 £424

A. DIMINUTION IN VALUE OF LANDLORD'S INTEREST
    A1 Ground rents receivable:
    Rent Reserved £15 YP Term 1 0.0000 £0
    Rent Reserved £30 YP Term 2 15.2288
    £457
    £457
    A2 Reversion to freehold in possession:
    Reversion to VP value £287,879
    x PV of £1 until end of term 0.0285 £8,201
    Freeholder's Present Interest £8,657

A3 Landlord's interest after grant of new lease of:
    Freehold Vacant Possession Value £287,879
    x PV of £1 until end of new term 0.0004
    £102
    Diminution: £8,556
    B. CALCULATION OF MARRIAGE VALUE
    Value of interests after the lease extension:
    Landlords Interest £102
    Tenants Interest (extended lease value) £285,000 £285,102
    LESS
    Landlords Interest £8,657
    Tenants Interest (existing lease value) £266,202 £274,859
    Marriage Value £10,243
    Landlords share of Marriage Value at 50% £5,121
    Lease Extension Premium £13,677

I'm drafting my response to the surveyor and will appreciate pointers.

Thank you.

I wouldn't run up any more expense with him IIWY. He obviously can't be *rsed to do anything harder than plug figures into his computer.

Comment

I didn’t see landlord’s fees in all that?

Comment

It's a shame but he refuses to negotiate with the FH or surveyor.
        I told him I didn't even say much before the counter offer was reduced.

His most recent response is below.

"The problem we have always had is that the extended lease value of £285,000 (freehold value of £287,879) compared to the price paid for the existing lease of £260,000 produces a relativity of 90.3%. The purchase price included the benefit of the act which should stripped out. Normally a 3% adjustment is required which reduces the existing lease value to £252,200 excluding the Act. Putting the two together produces a relativity 87.6% and a premium of £16,028".

Yet he had said there was no point him trying to reduce it from the counter offer of 18k.

Comment

If you are only £1,700 apart, I would definitely not incur any more costs, I suggest that you offer to split the difference and avoid the cost of a hearing , which will easily exceed the sum in dispute.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipper View Post
            I didn’t see landlord’s fees in all that?
            LL's costs are:
            £894 valuation
            £1,260 legal
            Will query whether it already includes VAT but probably not so will be added on.

£220ph + VAT surveyor
            £265ph + VAT legal Grade A outside London (in house sol)

I need to find decisions to use to negotiate these down too especially as the surveyor and in house sol have acted for LL on similar properties on this road.

Comment

Originally posted by eagle2 View Post
              If you are only £1,700 apart, I would definitely not incur any more costs, I suggest that you offer to split the difference and avoid the cost of a hearing , which will easily exceed the sum in dispute.
              I was hoping for the £12k calculation but happy to meet at £14k

Comment

Originally posted by eagle2 View Post
                I would agree totally

The landlord is seeking a full figure but not an outrageous figure. This is because he knows that the costs you will incur arguing will not make it worthwhile.

Going to the Tribunal and being professionally represented will cost circa £5k. Going and representing yourself to the Tribunal will carry risks but will involve you having to prepare the case yourself incurring significant time and effort.

​​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by sgclacy View Post

I would agree totally

The landlord is seeking a full figure but not an outrageous figure. This is because he knows that the costs you will incur arguing will not make it worthwhile.

Going to the Tribunal and being professionally represented will cost circa £5k. Going and representing yourself to the Tribunal will carry risks but will involve you having to prepare the case yourself incurring significant time and effort.
                  Thanks.
                  ​​​​​​​From the above, are there any pointers with which I could negotiate down?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Communal area harassment
                    Stacker
                    We have a small communal area which is basically an entry and exit point to the flats. One flat owner on the second floor has decided to put lots of plants out in this area and has taken to sitting on the communal stairs daily to drink coffee and let their cat out to roam and have coffee, smoking chats...
                    24-08-2019, 12:16 PM
                  • Reply to Communal area harassment
                    Stacker
                    Naughty!! This is the communal area and its for everyone to use...but not as an extension of their flat...and certainly not for them to stand there staring back at me through the windows...and no not paranoid!...who stares at people if they are in their own flat window and then shouting at them from...
                    24-08-2019, 13:34 PM
                    JK0
                    Any time my neighbours' things encroached on my flat, they mysteriously disappeared into my dustbin at 3am just before the dustmen came. (I can't imagine how that happened.)
                    24-08-2019, 13:25 PM
                    Stacker
                    Thank you, basically no bins can be put in the area now as its full of plants...I said that no plants can be put under the windows due to health and safety, should we need to get out of the flat we should not need to scrabble over plants! yes definitely a sense of entitlement...we can do what we like...but...
                    24-08-2019, 13:20 PM
                    leaseholder64
                    Expanding into communal areas is a common problem with flat owners, but it is not harassment; it's more an aspect of entitlement syndrome. The freeholder should probably be addressing it, and, if it is compromising an escape route, must address it.

Funding enforcement may be difficult,...
                    24-08-2019, 12:54 PM
                  • Significant Penetrating Damp
                    scot22
                    I have searched for criteria to decide if a dwelling is uninhabitable. As well as the obvious, it includes significant penetrating damp. As always, difficult to define significant. I would welcome any views on how much would make somewhere uninhabitable. Any case law would be particularly value...
                    24-08-2019, 09:27 AM
                  • Reply to Significant Penetrating Damp
                    Stacker
                    You need a surveyor and a professional report. How do you know its penetrating damp? It could be condensation and or both?...
                    24-08-2019, 12:43 PM
                  • Reply to Significant Penetrating Damp
                    Stacker
                    So what was the outcome and what did you do to find the cause and what was the solution?...
                    24-08-2019, 12:42 PM
                    Stacker
                    They are the only flat owners that do this. I have been checking the lease, the communal area needs to comply with health and safety and the lease. They have basically extended their demise to the communal area and using it as their own but they have also taken to standing and putting plants directly...
                    24-08-2019, 12:40 PM
                    leaseholder64
                    Doesn't sound like harassment to me, unless the looking into the window is intended to intimidate.

It is likely to be a breach of the lease.

If this area is enclosed or semi-enclosed, it will be a criminal offence under the Smoke Free Regulations for both the smoker and the...
                    24-08-2019, 12:30 PM
                  Working...
                  X