Agents won't return RMC Company books

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agents won't return RMC Company books

Our RMC removed our managing agents as Company Secretary on 1st April and in the notification letter we requested the return of the Company register/minute book etc by a signed-for service.

Over three weeks later… no sign of the documents. The agent says they'll attend to it and then they don't.

I'm sure I've read on here that this is a matter that can be reported to the police, but I'm not sure if that was a serious suggestion.

Is there any other way of getting our documents? They aren't local to the building (4 hrs away).

If the books belong to your company and the managing agent refuses to handover , you have a right to report to your local police station that they are stolen.

It will push them to handover quickly or face charges by the Police.

Comment

I assume that the former agent has been paid in full and it is not exercising a lien over the books.

In that case, it seems to be saying that it is not giving priority to you and I would reply by saying that you will turn up at the agent’s premises to collect the books and call the police if they are not handed over to you.

Comment

Make a report at the Police Station will save you 4 hours traveling there and 4 hours traveling back.

Comment

Originally posted by eagle2 View Post
          I assume that the former agent has been paid in full and it is not exercising a lien over the books.

They are still our agent (for the time being), just not company secretary.

Comment

Perhaps the statutory books need to be written up to date. I suggest again that you say that you will call at their office and collect them. I am not suggesting that you travel 8 hours round trip, it is just more likely to receive a response, Sending a courier once the books are available makes more sense. The company secretary has a reasonable time to comply with a request but it does not appear that you are being given any priority.

Comment

Thanks to all for the advice. We have now retrieved the books. Now the fun begins…

There appear to be numerous problems:

1. The register of members is incomplete and out of date
              2. The charges register is blank for the first 15 years of the company. (Isn't it supposed to list all the mortgagees?)
              3. No residential addresses listed for directors
              4. No conflicts of interest recorded for directors (I know of at least one significant one)
              5. No minutes of directors' meetings
              6. No record of a company meeting ever taking place (we are supposed to have AGMs, according to our articles)
              7. Directors were allowed to continue in position long after ceasing to be leaseholders
              8. One director (the same one with the conflict of interest) was never a leaseholder

What can/should we do about this? I don't want to turn this mess over to the forthcoming secretary.

Should I inform Companies House?

Would the RMC be justified in demanding a refund of some of the money we have paid for company secretary fees (£500 per year)?

As I mentioned, the former company secretary is still our agent for the time being, so we still have some modicum of control over them.

Comment

2) The charges register for an RMC or RTM would normally be empty! Details of charges on leases might be relevant, confidential, operating information, but is not something required by company law. The main reason you might want to keep details of charges against leaseholders is because the lender is likely to want to pay service charges and enforce covenants in order to avoid the risk of forfeiture of the asset that is protecting their money, whereas the purpose of the charges register is to show assets that at risk from the lenders.

(5) and (6) are the fault of the directors, although, with (5) I think there is a problem that few people now belong to the sorts of clubs and societies where this sort of record keeping was standard, so untrained directors fail to realise that minute are important, or know what an AGM should look like

(7) This depends on the articles, e.g. for an RTM it would be perfectly legal. Also any other directors are as least as responsible as the company secretary. The company secretary doesn't even have to attend a directors' meeting.

(8) Again perfectly legal for RTMs and many RMCs

Comment

Thanks.

Re (2), So the charges that are currently listed should be erased, from the sound of it.

Re (7) and (8), The company articles state that all members and directors must be leaseholders. The non-eligible director was signing contracts for the RTM with a company that he runs commercially, so surely he should have stated the conflict of interest.

Comment

RTM Articles are set by statute. I don't think it is possible to modify them to restrict directors to be leaseholders.

Normally such contracts would be valid, but, in this case, assuming the directorship was invalid, he would have known that he was not authorised, so I'd say the contracts were not enforceable.

Comment

Companies House won't be interested in the failure to hold AGMs.

As you refer to an RTM, the RTM articles were changed to remove the requirement for AGMs and it is one of the issues in the Law Commission's consultation on RTMs (closing soon) that AGMs are not required, so corporate democracy is inhibited. However, in any case, it is a civil matter between the company and its directors.

I suppose they might be interested in the lack of minutes, but you had better be sure you can document your attempts to get the meetings minuted as the directors, as much as the company secretary, will be responsible for the default. I suspect, though, that this is something used when throwing the book, rather than on its own.

Comment

Sorry, the company is an RMC, not an RTM.

I'm wondering if we even need to bother with a Company Register then if no-one is accountable when it is not kept properly…

Comment

The company and every officer in default, i.e. any of the company secretary and the directors that failed to take all reasonable steps to avoid the offence, are accountable, but Companies House generally works on the basis of trying for compliance, rather than prosecution, and simply does not have the resources to take enforcement action against small companies. I imagine most RMCs would be at risk of enforcement if they did that.

The risk in your position is that, if you were a director, you could have resolved the problem by maintaining many of the records yourself, so you are a candidate for prosecution.

It's unfortunately the case with a lot of law, and particularly leasehold law, that it relies on most people complying without the threat of enforcement, but it seems to me that more and more people treat the lack of effective enforcement of law as permission to break it.

Comment

Thanks. The transgressions took place before I became a director so I wouldn't personally be worried about prosecution.
                            I do resent being left a mess to clear up, especially when we paid the agents £500 annually extra for company secretary duties! Surely the state of the books is justification to recoup some of that money?

Comment

The statutory books should be kept up to date, the register of directors’ interests should be maintained and an AGM should be arranged if one is required.

Therefore the Company Secretary has not been carrying out his duties and the RMC appears to have a valid claim against the agent.

The RMC would not normally hold any charges but that is a matter of fact.

It is not unusual for directors to give an address for notices which is different to their home address.

Minutes of Directors’ meetings should be kept. It will be a matter of fact, who is responsible for taking minutes at the meetings. The Company Secretary would be expected to advise the directors of the need to take minutes if he was not instructed to do so.

The Company Secretary should advise directors if they are required to resign in accordance with the Articles.

Companies House is unlikely to wish to become involved, at best, it is likely to send a reminder to the RMC of its duties.

£500 per annum for acting as a Company Secretary of a RMC is unreasonable and a leaseholder would have grounds to challenge that amount before the FTT. The problem is that the agent will probably say that the fee was agreed with the RMC. The RMC should be able to recover some of the cost due to the agent’s failure to carry out the duties to a satisfactory standard.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Communal area harassment
                                Stacker
                                We have a small communal area which is basically an entry and exit point to the flats. One flat owner on the second floor has decided to put lots of plants out in this area and has taken to sitting on the communal stairs daily to drink coffee and let their cat out to roam and have coffee, smoking chats...
                                24-08-2019, 12:16 PM
                              • Reply to Communal area harassment
                                Stacker
                                Good film thanks for that! The wheelie bin is directly under my window!...
                                24-08-2019, 15:08 PM
                                leaseholder64
                                This is an example of why you don't want a bin outside your window: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RDKLNJwvbs
                                24-08-2019, 14:39 PM
                                leaseholder64
                                I would be more concerned about the bins. If this area is reached before a final place of safety, I'm not sure how they got past the fire risk assessment. Similarly if they are under your window.
                                24-08-2019, 14:31 PM
                              • Tenant would like her friend to park in her car park
                                surreygirl
                                My tenant, a very lovely lady I may add and a great tenant. She does not have a car but her friend of hers who does have one would like to use the car park. I myself do not mind, but I wonder if it would or could upset the Leaseholders of the other flat.

It doesnt say anything about it...
                                22-08-2019, 11:59 AM
                              • Reply to Tenant would like her friend to park in her car park
                                surreygirl
                                well that clarifies it for me. Thanks.

Yes, I do not want the person who is parking there that they have any rights over it and could possibly, for example, say to someone else that he or she is not using the car parking space so you can use it today etc. or if the car parking space has...
                                24-08-2019, 14:23 PM
                              • Significant Penetrating Damp
                                scot22
                                I have searched for criteria to decide if a dwelling is uninhabitable. As well as the obvious, it includes significant penetrating damp. As always, difficult to define significant. I would welcome any views on how much would make somewhere uninhabitable. Any case law would be particularly value...
                                24-08-2019, 09:27 AM
                              • Reply to Significant Penetrating Damp
                                scot22
                                Thanks everyone. I agree Andrew, it is impossible to answer with limited information. The inhabitant has a unique way of looking at things !
                                I agree about the need for professional opinion. His surveyor and two Company surveyors have inspected the damp issue. None of them commented, or implied,...
                                24-08-2019, 14:01 PM
                                Stacker
                                Naughty!! This is the communal area and its for everyone to use...but not as an extension of their flat...and certainly not for them to stand there staring back at me through the windows...and no not paranoid!...who stares at people if they are in their own flat window and then shouting at them from...
                                24-08-2019, 13:34 PM
                                JK0
                                Any time my neighbours' things encroached on my flat, they mysteriously disappeared into my dustbin at 3am just before the dustmen came. (I can't imagine how that happened.)
                                24-08-2019, 13:25 PM
                              Working...
                              X