Emergency lighting testing

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Emergency lighting testing

    Dear All,

    A quick question:

    Do Landlords/RMCs require to have formally certified annual emergency lighting checks? As that’s what our property manager is suggesting.

    We live in a small block of flats and the RMC Director does the ongoing inspections including emergency lighting checks and fire safety risk assessments and record keeping ( he works in building maintenance by the way).

    We have checked various websites including Arma, the Electrical Safety Council’s website and firesafe.co.uk for legal requirements of emergency lighting testing and we couldn’t find such.
    We have also spoken to a senior electrical engineer in building maintenance and he said both monthly and annual checks can be carried out and logged by a competent person and that the only legal requirement for annual checks is that they should be “full rated duration tests to ensure the lights are still working”.

    So my understanding is that annual tests do not require certifications from a trained engineer, such person would only be needed for corrective actions if a fault was discovered during testing.

    I was told to follow this document when maintaining emergency lighting and carry out risk assessments:


    No mention of certified annual emergency lighting checks in this either

    Are we all missing something?

    Has there been a recent change in law that we are not aware of?


    Emergency lighting would need to be tested according to the manufacturer's instructions. In practice, that will certainly involved annual test involving deep cycling the battery, and ma well require preventative replacement of batteries every few years.

    None of the tests require certification, but you have to be very sure that the person that does the work is a "competent person" for the work.

    The rated duration tests are really tests of the batteries, not the lights.

    In general legislation never goes into this level of detail, because technology changes and detailed legislation will get locked into old technology.

    Record keeping is particularly important if you do it yourself.

    Fire risk assessments also only require a competent person, although you have the normal professional services thing that, if a consultant does it, you are covered by their insurance if they get it wrong, but if you do it, you are personally at risk.

    I would say the normal expectation would be, monthly checks: competent resident;

    Annual checks: specialist company;

    Full fire risk assessments (every five years or on significant change): specialist company.

    Reviews: management company directors;

    Routing checks and inspections: competent resident.

    Record keep everything.


    Latest Activity


    • RICS surveyor expert opinion
      Where there has been a difference of view between two surveyors does anyone have experience of using a third independent surveyor to give expert neutral advice ? Hopefully resulting in finding common ground....
      26-05-2019, 08:50 AM
    • Dealing with damp
      It is a 19th century building converted into 10 leasehold flats. Three of the flats wish to tank their walls to deal with damp issues. My research is that this could cause more problems in other parts of the building. Are they allowed to do this without permission ?
      04-02-2018, 12:59 PM
    • Reply to Dealing with damp
      Thanks. It's random stone with rubble infill. Some communal areas experience damp but then dry out. Freeloader wishes to deal with issue by applying modern, breathable barrier externally. One lease holder threatens legal action to stop this work.
      26-05-2019, 08:45 AM
    • Reply to Dealing with damp
      Does the 19th Century building have 9in solid brick walls or 11in brick walls with 2in cavity ?

      Cellar tanking or basement tanking refers to the application of a liquid waterproof coating (tanking slurry) to the walls and floor of a cellar. It is used to treat damp walls by preventing water...
      25-05-2019, 22:34 PM
    • Reply to Dealing with damp
      Thanks for prompt and helpful advice. This has been recommended by a surveyor and freeloader to pay. Don't ask me why but they object to this !
      25-05-2019, 13:35 PM
    • Leasehold Deed of Variation for Service Charge

      I’m the freeholder of a block of flats, and we’ve just agreed (myself and the leaseholders) a change to the service charge percentages. I understand that a Deed of Variation is the best way to enact this given that nothing else is changing. I also understand that a simple amendment...
      25-05-2019, 10:56 AM
    • Reply to Leasehold Deed of Variation for Service Charge
      The percentages were set ages ago (late 1990s) and there are no records of what led to that choice (the flats are roughly equal sizes (in sq ft) though the service charge split isn’t). The only clue is that the one currently paying more occupies two floors including the roof space, so maybe someone...
      25-05-2019, 13:25 PM
    • Reply to Dealing with damp
      A 19th century building should probably have lime mortar - which would enable dampness to evaporate rather than penetrate the walls. It's a mistake to replace lime mortar with cement mortar. The freeholder is probably responsible for that mistake.

      Get a surveyor or a structural engineer...
      25-05-2019, 12:52 PM
    • Reply to Dealing with damp
      Sorry to revive thread. Flats on first and second floor. They want Freeholder to pay , not take on responsibility themselves. Freeholder lease obligation is to repair and maintain. Cement mortar pointing in good condition. Is there anything RMC should do ?
      25-05-2019, 11:57 AM
    • Reply to Leasehold Deed of Variation for Service Charge
      You can certainly do this without a lawyer. However, like many things, it is easy when you know how and there is always scope for getting it round your neck. Have a go at drawing up something and post it here. At the same time post the exact wording, including numbering, of the clause which sets out...
      25-05-2019, 11:23 AM