Breach of the Lease where does company law state they cant be directors in this case?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breach of the Lease where does company law state they cant be directors in this case?

Hello, Hope you all had a lovely Easter! My question is....can directors who are in breach of their own Lease and are not following the Lease be removed and what company or Landlord and Tenant law would support this?

If a director of a big conglomerate is in breach of a lease for their private home, it is totally irrelevant. I believe you mean directors of an RTM or RMC, for which they are also leaseholders.

This is not a matter of statute of law. Landlord and tenant law doesn't really address companies, except for RTMs, and Company Law does address leaseholds. They can only be removed if the company articles say they can be removed, and I suspect such clauses are rare, especially given that most leaseholders are probably in breach on minor issues.

Some RMCs have a condition that the director must be a leaseholder (RTMs cannot). In that case successful forfeiture of lease would remove them as directors. If the breach was in relation to payment and the director was made bankrupt, that would also remove them form all directorships. As RTM directors don't have to be leaseholders, there will be a lot of them who could not breach the lease, anyway.

I'm guessing this isn't really a new thread but part of a series trying to get round the basic problem that the only way of dealing with bad directors is for a majority of shareholders to vote them out and replace them with good ones.

Comment

No I mean Directors of a limited company acting on behalf of the company as its agents and the shareholders? The directors are using the company for their own benefit and not following the Lease, their argument is we own the freehold, we are the directors we do what the majority agree with, however when I try to point out we have a Lease and we need to follow the Lease they dont agree with me.

Comment

So this isn't an RMC or RTM, then?

Company law says nothing about obeying leases. Companies can and do breach contracts, which is all a lease would amount to.

Section 175 onwards of the 2006 Companies Act deals with conflicts of interest, although they can be overridden by the company's articles, for example to allow the sort of conflict of interest that is inevitable because of the nature of the company.

If I understand section 178 correctly, they can only be enforced by civil actions taken by the company itself, so you will need control of the company first. Once you have control, it is unlikely that it will be worth suing the (ex-)directors.

I cannot find any relevant criminal offences in schedule A.

Back to RMCs and RTMs, unfortunately a lo lot of people seem to advise such companies that they can ignore the lease. Breaching a lease is not a criminal offence.

Comment

You need to enforce the lease against the company, not the directors. If it involves misuse of service charges, start with the FTT. Otherwise you will probably need to go to the County Court using the standard track and seek an injunction. If the directors breach an injunction the courts may decide to disqualify them.

Comment

Thank you leaseholder 64, I appreciate your help.

Comment

Breaching a lease is not a crime but it is breach of contract and contrary to common law. It depends on what the breach is as to what powers the FTT has.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Communal Vs exclusive access
                Focus
                I live on the ground floor of a 4 story owner-occupied block. 9 flats on the ground floor have a patio outside their property surrounded by communal landscaping. The lease shows the patio area as deck access and states it is for the exclusive access of that property and it is not 'to be used to store...
                01-10-2017, 13:40 PM
              • Reply to Communal Vs exclusive access
                Focus
                Thank you, that's really helpful. Thank you for taking the time to reply.
                20-05-2019, 21:53 PM
                Lawcruncher
                "The exclusive right to use the terrace edged blue on the Plan 2 for the reasonable purpose intended"

That reads a bit oddly. If that is all there is, it has mean you can use the terrace to do the sort of thing you expect pople to do on a terrace.

"store any...
                20-05-2019, 18:28 PM
              • Covenants relating to landscaped area
                holmesr923
                We live in a small development of 8 houses. When the building work was finished our local council place covenents on the site such as: no house to used for a business but more particularly that the landscaped area with trees and fencing had to be maintained in good order. The counci refused to adopt...
                20-05-2019, 11:48 AM
              • Reply to Covenants relating to landscaped area
                leaseholder64
                Generally you don't want a situation where part of an estate has reverted to the Crown, and you do want a situation where someone can be made to pay for maintaining the surrounding land.

Also, if there were someone to enforce against, the council might well enforce using anti-social behaviour...
                20-05-2019, 13:23 PM
                Focus
                RIGHT TO USE THE TERRACE
                The exclusive right to use the terrace edged blue on the Plan 2 for the reasonable purpose intended

TENANT USER REGULATIONS

In using the terrace at the property not to:
                a) hang out any washing
                b) fix or install anything which is likely...
                20-05-2019, 13:13 PM
                Lawcruncher
                What we need is the exact wording in the lease as to what rights you have over the patio.
                20-05-2019, 11:22 AM
              • FREEHOLD & LEASEHOLD QUERY PLEASE HELP
                Freeholderandleaseholder
                hello - its a little long, so sorry but please bare with !

Hubby and I bought a ground floor maisonette in a block of 4 (there’s 3 blocks in total) the land - all 3 blocks is freehold as well as, a private shared driveway/road leading to the garages at the rear (owned by the 12 owners...
                19-05-2019, 06:21 AM
              • Reply to FREEHOLD & LEASEHOLD QUERY PLEASE HELP
                AndrewDod
                This is all highly confusing.

There is a lease -- why is it void???

I cannot imagine that a lease (the contract) simply becomes void if the freeholder becomes bankrupt (or ceases to exist in some form) and if the thing they owned becomes owned by anyone or anything. If that...
                20-05-2019, 10:53 AM
                leaseholder64
                It is not entirely clear cut as the management company is still the responsible person for safety issues.
                20-05-2019, 09:03 AM
              Working...
              X