Freeholder adding rental insur. in buildings insurance - Am I liable for half?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Freeholder adding rental insur. in buildings insurance - Am I liable for half?

    Hi, new to the perils of leaseholding and looking for advice.
    • My freeholder is taking out buildings insurance.
    • The freeholder owns the flat below which is rented out (we are a building of two).
    • I am an owner occupier but the buildings insurance includes tenants insurance and income protection of 100k.
    • The costs are being divided in half.

      I would like to dispute these costs as my risk & requirements are considerably less, do I have right to do so?

    Cheers in advance!

    What does the lease say?


      Sorry, that would have been helpful! Cheers for the reply!

      "To repay the lessor one half of the amount or amounts from time to time expended by the lessor in effecting and maintaining insurance on the demised premises at the times and in manner aforesaid"

      Possibly also related

      ....."to pay half the contribution towards the costs and expenses of constructing, repairing, rebuilding and renewing and lighting, cleansing and maintaining all party walls and party structures"

      I have no problem paying half for the building insurance but feel the tenant insurance is discretionary and a business expense of the freeholder.


        There would normally be a clause requiring that insurance to be taken out, and that is more likely tot say what is to be


          Also one more Lessor Covenants

          "To insure...the Lessee and his Mortgagee or Chargee (if any) the Building against loss or damage by the insured risks in some insurance office or with underwriters of repute in the full rebuilding value thereof"


            leaseholder64 Apologies found it after further reading. Basically reinstating/rebuilding are my understanding. Thanks for your patience!

            (These tenants make my life a nightmare so I am refusing contributing anything towards them!)


              If that is all it says, I would say that you the loss of rent insurance is not recoverable from the service charge. On the other hand, this also means you don't have alternative accommodation, or public liability cover which are highly desirable, or essential.


                leaseholder64 Thank you so much for your advice, I really appreciate it!


                  ( To clarify for others )
                  When a lease mentions "Tenant"; the leaseholder is a "Tenant" of the freeholder.
                  The freeholder is the landlord of the leaseholder. ( Leaseholder is tenant )

                  When you let a flat, the renter is a Tenant of the leaseholder.
                  The leaseholder is the landlord of the renter. ( Renter is a sub-tenant )

                  Unfortunately, the word Tenant and landlord have 2 meanings, as above.
                  Which is why I always use "Sub-tenant" to describe a renter in a leasehold flat. And often, leases may have clauses mentioning sub-tenants ( Also known as under-letting )


                    ram Thanks for the info. The terms are getting very confusing. For this insurance I am considered the "owner occupier/home owner" and my freeholder is considered the "tenant" as the landlord of the flat.

                    Ah the joy of leasehold!


                      The freeholder is a landlord for both flats; the only difference is that one is on a long lease with a low rent, and the other, presumably, on a short lease with a high rent.

                      I doubt the insurance refers to owner occupiers at all. You are a tenant.


                      Latest Activity


                      • Communal area harassment
                        We have a small communal area which is basically an entry and exit point to the flats. One flat owner on the second floor has decided to put lots of plants out in this area and has taken to sitting on the communal stairs daily to drink coffee and let their cat out to roam and have coffee, smoking chats...
                        24-08-2019, 12:16 PM
                      • Reply to Communal area harassment
                        Good film thanks for that! The wheelie bin is directly under my window!...
                        24-08-2019, 15:08 PM
                      • Reply to Communal area harassment
                        This is an example of why you don't want a bin outside your window:
                        24-08-2019, 14:39 PM
                      • Reply to Communal area harassment
                        I would be more concerned about the bins. If this area is reached before a final place of safety, I'm not sure how they got past the fire risk assessment. Similarly if they are under your window.
                        24-08-2019, 14:31 PM
                      • Tenant would like her friend to park in her car park
                        My tenant, a very lovely lady I may add and a great tenant. She does not have a car but her friend of hers who does have one would like to use the car park. I myself do not mind, but I wonder if it would or could upset the Leaseholders of the other flat.

                        It doesnt say anything about it...
                        22-08-2019, 11:59 AM
                      • Reply to Tenant would like her friend to park in her car park
                        well that clarifies it for me. Thanks.

                        Yes, I do not want the person who is parking there that they have any rights over it and could possibly, for example, say to someone else that he or she is not using the car parking space so you can use it today etc. or if the car parking space has...
                        24-08-2019, 14:23 PM
                      • Significant Penetrating Damp
                        I have searched for criteria to decide if a dwelling is uninhabitable. As well as the obvious, it includes significant penetrating damp. As always, difficult to define significant. I would welcome any views on how much would make somewhere uninhabitable. Any case law would be particularly value...
                        24-08-2019, 09:27 AM
                      • Reply to Significant Penetrating Damp
                        Thanks everyone. I agree Andrew, it is impossible to answer with limited information. The inhabitant has a unique way of looking at things !
                        I agree about the need for professional opinion. His surveyor and two Company surveyors have inspected the damp issue. None of them commented, or implied,...
                        24-08-2019, 14:01 PM
                      • Reply to Communal area harassment
                        Naughty!! This is the communal area and its for everyone to use...but not as an extension of their flat...and certainly not for them to stand there staring back at me through the windows...and no not paranoid!...who stares at people if they are in their own flat window and then shouting at them from...
                        24-08-2019, 13:34 PM
                      • Reply to Communal area harassment
                        Any time my neighbours' things encroached on my flat, they mysteriously disappeared into my dustbin at 3am just before the dustmen came. (I can't imagine how that happened.)
                        24-08-2019, 13:25 PM