Freeholder adding rental insur. in buildings insurance - Am I liable for half?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freeholder adding rental insur. in buildings insurance - Am I liable for half?

Hi, new to the perils of leaseholding and looking for advice.
    • My freeholder is taking out buildings insurance.
    • The freeholder owns the flat below which is rented out (we are a building of two).
    • I am an owner occupier but the buildings insurance includes tenants insurance and income protection of 100k.
    • The costs are being divided in half.

I would like to dispute these costs as my risk & requirements are considerably less, do I have right to do so?

Cheers in advance!

What does the lease say?

Comment

Sorry, that would have been helpful! Cheers for the reply!

"To repay the lessor one half of the amount or amounts from time to time expended by the lessor in effecting and maintaining insurance on the demised premises at the times and in manner aforesaid"

Possibly also related

....."to pay half the contribution towards the costs and expenses of constructing, repairing, rebuilding and renewing and lighting, cleansing and maintaining all party walls and party structures"

I have no problem paying half for the building insurance but feel the tenant insurance is discretionary and a business expense of the freeholder.

Comment

There would normally be a clause requiring that insurance to be taken out, and that is more likely tot say what is to be
        insured.

Comment

Also one more Lessor Covenants

"To insure...the Lessee and his Mortgagee or Chargee (if any) the Building against loss or damage by the insured risks in some insurance office or with underwriters of repute in the full rebuilding value thereof"

Comment

leaseholder64 Apologies found it after further reading. Basically reinstating/rebuilding are my understanding. Thanks for your patience!

(These tenants make my life a nightmare so I am refusing contributing anything towards them!)

Comment

If that is all it says, I would say that you the loss of rent insurance is not recoverable from the service charge. On the other hand, this also means you don't have alternative accommodation, or public liability cover which are highly desirable, or essential.

Comment

leaseholder64 Thank you so much for your advice, I really appreciate it!

Comment

( To clarify for others )
                  When a lease mentions "Tenant"; the leaseholder is a "Tenant" of the freeholder.
                  The freeholder is the landlord of the leaseholder. ( Leaseholder is tenant )

When you let a flat, the renter is a Tenant of the leaseholder.
                  The leaseholder is the landlord of the renter. ( Renter is a sub-tenant )

Unfortunately, the word Tenant and landlord have 2 meanings, as above.
                  Which is why I always use "Sub-tenant" to describe a renter in a leasehold flat. And often, leases may have clauses mentioning sub-tenants ( Also known as under-letting )

Comment

ram Thanks for the info. The terms are getting very confusing. For this insurance I am considered the "owner occupier/home owner" and my freeholder is considered the "tenant" as the landlord of the flat.

Ah the joy of leasehold!

Comment

The freeholder is a landlord for both flats; the only difference is that one is on a long lease with a low rent, and the other, presumably, on a short lease with a high rent.

I doubt the insurance refers to owner occupiers at all. You are a tenant.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Communal Vs exclusive access
                        Focus
                        I live on the ground floor of a 4 story owner-occupied block. 9 flats on the ground floor have a patio outside their property surrounded by communal landscaping. The lease shows the patio area as deck access and states it is for the exclusive access of that property and it is not 'to be used to store...
                        01-10-2017, 13:40 PM
                      • Reply to Communal Vs exclusive access
                        Focus
                        Thank you, that's really helpful. Thank you for taking the time to reply.
                        20-05-2019, 21:53 PM
                        Lawcruncher
                        "The exclusive right to use the terrace edged blue on the Plan 2 for the reasonable purpose intended"

That reads a bit oddly. If that is all there is, it has mean you can use the terrace to do the sort of thing you expect pople to do on a terrace.

"store any...
                        20-05-2019, 18:28 PM
                      • Covenants relating to landscaped area
                        holmesr923
                        We live in a small development of 8 houses. When the building work was finished our local council place covenents on the site such as: no house to used for a business but more particularly that the landscaped area with trees and fencing had to be maintained in good order. The counci refused to adopt...
                        20-05-2019, 11:48 AM
                      • Reply to Covenants relating to landscaped area
                        leaseholder64
                        Generally you don't want a situation where part of an estate has reverted to the Crown, and you do want a situation where someone can be made to pay for maintaining the surrounding land.

Also, if there were someone to enforce against, the council might well enforce using anti-social behaviour...
                        20-05-2019, 13:23 PM
                        Focus
                        RIGHT TO USE THE TERRACE
                        The exclusive right to use the terrace edged blue on the Plan 2 for the reasonable purpose intended

TENANT USER REGULATIONS

In using the terrace at the property not to:
                        a) hang out any washing
                        b) fix or install anything which is likely...
                        20-05-2019, 13:13 PM
                        Lawcruncher
                        What we need is the exact wording in the lease as to what rights you have over the patio.
                        20-05-2019, 11:22 AM
                      • FREEHOLD & LEASEHOLD QUERY PLEASE HELP
                        Freeholderandleaseholder
                        hello - its a little long, so sorry but please bare with !

Hubby and I bought a ground floor maisonette in a block of 4 (there’s 3 blocks in total) the land - all 3 blocks is freehold as well as, a private shared driveway/road leading to the garages at the rear (owned by the 12 owners...
                        19-05-2019, 06:21 AM
                      • Reply to FREEHOLD & LEASEHOLD QUERY PLEASE HELP
                        AndrewDod
                        This is all highly confusing.

There is a lease -- why is it void???

I cannot imagine that a lease (the contract) simply becomes void if the freeholder becomes bankrupt (or ceases to exist in some form) and if the thing they owned becomes owned by anyone or anything. If that...
                        20-05-2019, 10:53 AM
                        leaseholder64
                        It is not entirely clear cut as the management company is still the responsible person for safety issues.
                        20-05-2019, 09:03 AM
                      Working...
                      X