Advice please

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    I have no problem with him getting a commission, but I do have a problem with him, or the contractor not being able to provide a copy invoice.
    It looks like the MA is just writing cheques to the proprietor of the contract company and not to the ACTUAL company. So neither of them can provide an invoice.

    If we get a new MA , and the registered office changes and he still won't give up the invoices and cheque stubbs, is that then theft?

    Also, if I get those things and they show that he WAS hiding things, can he still be prosecuted?


      You should have a problem with the MA taking a commission if it has not been declared to and agreed with the Company.

      The contractor should be able to supply an invoice regardless of how he accepts payment. He could accept payment to his friend, payment in the Cayman Islands, payment in US dollars or even in chocolate bars. The MA should not make any payment at all if he has not received an invoice.

      Unlike others, I am not convinced that it is theft, but you can take legal action against the MA if he does allow you to inspect documents or he fails to forward documents to the Company after he is removed as agent.

      Whether or not the Company can take legal action against the MA, would depend on what the MA has been hiding and the wording of the management agreement. Unless you have proof and the amount is worth pursuing, it is probably best just to change MA and not throw good money after bad.


        Your best easiest and cheapest option is to visit another block agent. Tell them your issues, they will tell you what he can and cannot do as they will hope to win your business. As an estate agent he must by law be registered with a property redress scheme and have client money protection, this should be on their correspondence and website. I don't think you should manage it yourself, that is a whole can of worms and requires extensive knowledge. Your questions on here suggest you don't have it, but even if you did you would be well-advised not to. You also need some kind of succession plan, and not just one person doing it.


        Latest Activity


        • Liability for costs?
          I live in a block of four flats, 2 ground floor, 2 first floor.
          The other 3 flats share a communal hallway/stairs, we have a private entrance ( a maisonette i believe - why do i feel all Hyacinth Bouquet!)

          Anyway, within my lease i have no covenant giving me any kind of responsibility...
          18-10-2019, 19:18 PM
        • Reply to Liability for costs?
          My comments on #2 were made too soon. Still believe you're O.K !
          Other posts have been valuable. I understand now where you are coming from and wish you well....
          20-10-2019, 20:20 PM
        • Reply to Liability for costs?
          To paraphrase the upstairs flats lease covenant;

          as and when necessary pay a fair proportion the cost of keeping in good repair__________________________

          The structure of the building so far as it comprises flat 5,6,7, 8, and in particular but without prejudice to the generality...
          20-10-2019, 18:22 PM
        • Visitor Parking Dispute and Unreasonable Behaviour
          Hello. I am the owner of a residential apartment, which I use as my main residence, which is managed by a property management company, to whom I pay a monthly service fee, and a residents management company, of which the PMC is one of the directors. The freehold of the land is owned and managed by a...
          15-10-2019, 15:50 PM
        • Reply to Visitor Parking Dispute and Unreasonable Behaviour
          You are absolutely right. Perhaps a limitation of forums is generally being unable to have a full picture.
          20-10-2019, 16:17 PM
        • Case law damp
          I know I've posted many times on this subject, apologies.
          The issue is tanking first floor flat where none has existed. External wall has been carefully maintained. I have searched but not able to find any cases.
          Also could freeholder be liable for any internal work such as plaster....
          01-10-2019, 09:04 AM
        • Reply to Case law damp
          Thanks for the detailed response. Unfortunately we did have one of the PCA members. Work suggested was incredible.
          Unfortunately we are not anywhere near London. Majority of people have said tanking only for cellars or basements and tanking first floor flat would be detrimental for the rest...
          20-10-2019, 16:12 PM
        • Reply to Case law damp
          Damp surveys in London and the South East

          16th November 2016

          It is that time of the year again when we are inundated with requests for damp surveys in London. It's all to do with temperature and moisture content of the air. All of a sudden, the heating goes on. As the
          20-10-2019, 15:36 PM
        • Reply to Liability for costs?
          Agree with that. The lease is what the lease is. The original purchaser bought it and paid a price based on what it is, whether that was in error or otherwise.

          It would be pretty outrageous if it were "corrected" in retrospect without compensation and without agreement. The only...
          20-10-2019, 14:42 PM
        • Reply to Liability for costs?
          Do the other leases specify a proportion of the cost of repairing the roof? If the split is discretionary, I don't see how the lease would be ruled defective, or how you could be forced to pay for the roof.

          Have you looked at other ground floor lease? If it includes paying for the roof,...
          20-10-2019, 14:13 PM