Advice please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have no problem with him getting a commission, but I do have a problem with him, or the contractor not being able to provide a copy invoice.
    It looks like the MA is just writing cheques to the proprietor of the contract company and not to the ACTUAL company. So neither of them can provide an invoice.

If we get a new MA , and the registered office changes and he still won't give up the invoices and cheque stubbs, is that then theft?

Also, if I get those things and they show that he WAS hiding things, can he still be prosecuted?

Comment

You should have a problem with the MA taking a commission if it has not been declared to and agreed with the Company.

The contractor should be able to supply an invoice regardless of how he accepts payment. He could accept payment to his friend, payment in the Cayman Islands, payment in US dollars or even in chocolate bars. The MA should not make any payment at all if he has not received an invoice.

Unlike others, I am not convinced that it is theft, but you can take legal action against the MA if he does allow you to inspect documents or he fails to forward documents to the Company after he is removed as agent.

Whether or not the Company can take legal action against the MA, would depend on what the MA has been hiding and the wording of the management agreement. Unless you have proof and the amount is worth pursuing, it is probably best just to change MA and not throw good money after bad.

Comment

Your best easiest and cheapest option is to visit another block agent. Tell them your issues, they will tell you what he can and cannot do as they will hope to win your business. As an estate agent he must by law be registered with a property redress scheme and have client money protection, this should be on their correspondence and website. I don't think you should manage it yourself, that is a whole can of worms and requires extensive knowledge. Your questions on here suggest you don't have it, but even if you did you would be well-advised not to. You also need some kind of succession plan, and not just one person doing it.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Freeholders breach of the lease
          surreygirl
          We had a surveyor in last year in April 2018 which said that the outside render was now porous and needed to be repaired as a matter of urgency and should be a priority. At a meeting they voted to wait for a year until people had saved up the money and also they needed to have an asbestos test done....
          16-06-2019, 09:39 AM
        • Reply to Freeholders breach of the lease
          leaseholder64
          What is the nature of the freeholders? Why do they have limited assets? In the worst case, they are a residents's management company, in which case they have very little leeway, as they will have very little money of their own and very little real security for any loan. They are also unlikely to be...
          16-06-2019, 11:11 AM
        • Freeholders and Sub-tenants
          cday356
          Hello all,

I would be grateful for some views on the following situation. We are a freeholder, and have a non-resident leaseholder who has been sub-letting his flat for more than a decade. We took over the freehold about 6 years ago. It has since come to our attention that the leaseholder...
          16-06-2019, 04:23 AM
        • Reply to Freeholders and Sub-tenants
          eagle2
          At what point is there a breach of the covenant for quiet enjoyment? There must come a time when the freeholder has requested access on a number of occasions and found no evidence of leaks that asking again must be considered to be unreasonable.

If the tenant is in breach, what remedy is...
          16-06-2019, 11:05 AM
        • Tenant of Leaseholder leaving property in common parts
          TheManOnTheBus
          I own the freehold of a small building (and a couple of the leases). One of the other leaseholders as let to a tenant who despite warning will not remove property (bicycles / push chairs) from common parts.

The leaseholder (and therefore their tenant) does not have the right under the lease...
          13-06-2019, 19:43 PM
        • Reply to Tenant of Leaseholder leaving property in common parts
          Lawcruncher
          I am not sure it is.

Section 12 starts: "This section applies to goods in the possession or under the control of a bailee".

There are four key words:

"goods": Is the bike goods? Yes, because the Act defines goods as including all chattels personal...
          16-06-2019, 10:44 AM
          leaseholder64
          Is your issue with the such deeds in general, or with the failure to restrict it to those covenants (typically the ASB ones, and in particular, excluding service charge payments) that are relevant to the sub-tenant.

There is, I believe, a common problem that sub-landlords use standard tenancy...
          16-06-2019, 10:44 AM
          cday356
          Thanks for your comments Lawcruncher,

Regarding your first paragraph, I appreciate the further clarity on how a covenant of quiet enjoyment should be interpreted.

Briefly regarding your second paragraph, the sub-tenants have been in occupation since 2004, so I wouldn't call...
          16-06-2019, 10:26 AM
          cday356
          Eagle2,

Since we refused to extend his lease informally (specifically we asked him to instruct a solicitor and to deal with his lease extension on a formal basis with us, which he refused to do) he began to refuse access. He has specifically stated in correspondence that he will not provide...
          16-06-2019, 10:10 AM
        • Damp in old building with NO DPC
          Stacker
          Hello, Could I ask you for your perspective on damp in old buildings? It seems that new buildings have a DPC (damp proof chemically injected) whilst older buildings dont have them so how do the freeholders manage the repairing obligation for the damp? If there is inherent damp which is part of the building...
          02-06-2019, 20:00 PM
        Working...
        X