Advice please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If other Directors are passive , get the information on alternative companies who can take over the service charge account.

You can call a meeting of leaseholders and propose the change of managing agent as I have suggested.

You can also get approval at meeting for your block and residents to request your local MP to join the APPG for leasehold reform .

You write up the minutes of Meeting and mention Director X, Y and Z did not attend. If your other 2 leaseholders attend , you can pass the proposal and its all legitimate. And you can serve notice to terminate the agents service and give 90 days notice .

But make sure every one of the leaseholders get a copy of the minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
      michelle230 This is a good example of why commonhold will not work.
      I could not agree more. Nobody buys a leasehold property to fight for their rights. In a situation like this one, I would far rather be fighting for my rights against a third party/corporate freeholder with/without support from my fellow leaseholders than fighting my fellow leaseholders (whom after all, are my neighbours). Whilst it is laudable that the National Leasehold Campaign is agitating for change, I think that their rhetoric of wanting to abolish leasehold in favour of commonhold is naive and incredibly unhelpful. The RMCs and RTMs that I have personal knowledge of are riven with problems and most of them struggle to recruit and retain Directors because of this ....

Comment

If I remove him as a MA.
        I or the new MA's (I am thinking of doing it myself.) will need all the financial and general documents and I am quite sure he will not give any of that up.
        We had problems b4 and they wouldn't give us any bank documentation and I fear the current one will be the same or worse.

Comment

After you take over the service charge account, you would file a report at the local police station that the company documents are stolen. Its been done before .

Comment

Theft requires an intent to permanently deprive.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
              Theft requires an intent to permanently deprive.
              Then he can hand the documents over. If he has no intention of doing so then it is theft.

Comment

Originally posted by eagle2 View Post
                You can try complaining to ARMA if the managing agent is a member or you can make a formal complaint to him.
                ARMA removed themselves of this last year and will only take forward any complaint/action if it has been determined by another regulatory panel:

https://www.leaseholdknowledge.com/f...agement-sector

If the Estate Agency belongs to a redress scheme you will be able to raise the issue with them, however you would first need to exhaust the Firms Complaints Handling Procedure, the process will take 8 weeks before the redress scheme will look at the issue.

Which redress scheme does the estate agency belong to?

Comment

Originally posted by pinathecat View Post
                  If I remove him as a MA.
                  I or the new MA's (I am thinking of doing it myself.) will need all the financial and general documents and I am quite sure he will not give any of that up.
                  We had problems b4 and they wouldn't give us any bank documentation and I fear the current one will be the same or worse.
                  The next managing agent you appoint may help you to claim handover of the bank account and unspent money , service charge arrears owed by the leaseholders, and current order on service providers ( cleaning and gardening, building insurance , electricity etc ) .

Comment

I was not suggesting that complaining to ARMA or a redress scheme was the best solution here, I was responding to a question, Incidentally, I am not sure what happened to ARMA-Q and their self regulating scheme.

Comment

Originally posted by pinathecat View Post
                      If I remove him as a MA.
                      I recommend that you do not manage yourself, it is much better to appoint an independent managing agent in this case. You would have a conflict of interest and your motives may be questioned. I suggest that you interview 2 or 3 agents and set out your requirements and see who best fits them, The new agent will assist you to recover documents etc

Comment

It is the directors who are appointed to make decisions and represent the leaseholders/members. There is no need to call a general meeting of members. You should keep minutes of the directors' meeting and inform the leaseholders/members.

Comment

I do not understand why commonhold has been raised within this thread, it makes absolutely no difference. Managing agents will continue to exceed their authority and the directors will still need to supervise them.

Comment

eagle 2 makes an excellent suggestion - if other directors do not attend , ask them to give their voting proxy to you.

If the current managing agent does not respect you as a Director of the maintenance company , it better to change rather than continue using that agent . ARMA is a trade association and will help their members i.e the agent , not you.

Comment

Originally posted by eagle2 View Post
                              I do not understand why commonhold has been raised within this thread, it makes absolutely no difference. Managing agents will continue to exceed their authority and the directors will still need to supervise them.
                              That's exactly why commonhold was raised. It was done to point out that it would not solve the problem, so was no use putting it forward as the panacea for all leasehold problems.

Incidentally, directors don't generally have proxy rights in board meetings. That role is generally handled by written resolutions, and it is likely that a unanimous decision would be required. The purpose of having actual meetings is that a real debate tends to produce better decisions than an immediate majority vote, although some articles may allow majority written resolutions, from directors.

Some modern articles have a concept of an alternative director, that is somewhat like a proxy.

Comment

He has emailed and said that if I want to see anything, I must pay him first AND he said that as I am troubled by this situation, HE would remove me as a director which would resolve this situation
                                Can he do that, as I didn't think he could?

On directors, 1 doesn't reside here anymore
                                What should be done
                                Who authorises it.
                                How

What is wrong with me running the maintenance, as I am always here 24/7. (Due to my disability.)

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Freeholders and Sub-tenants
                                  cday356
                                  Hello all,

I would be grateful for some views on the following situation. We are a freeholder, and have a non-resident leaseholder who has been sub-letting his flat for more than a decade. We took over the freehold about 6 years ago. It has since come to our attention that the leaseholder...
                                  16-06-2019, 04:23 AM
                                • Reply to Freeholders and Sub-tenants
                                  cday356
                                  Thanks for your comments Lawcruncher,

Regarding your first paragraph, I appreciate the further clarity on how a covenant of quiet enjoyment should be interpreted.

Briefly regarding your second paragraph, the sub-tenants have been in occupation since 2004, so I wouldn't call...
                                  16-06-2019, 10:26 AM
                                  cday356
                                  Eagle2,

Since we refused to extend his lease informally (specifically we asked him to instruct a solicitor and to deal with his lease extension on a formal basis with us, which he refused to do) he began to refuse access. He has specifically stated in correspondence that he will not provide...
                                  16-06-2019, 10:10 AM
                                • Damp in old building with NO DPC
                                  Stacker
                                  Hello, Could I ask you for your perspective on damp in old buildings? It seems that new buildings have a DPC (damp proof chemically injected) whilst older buildings dont have them so how do the freeholders manage the repairing obligation for the damp? If there is inherent damp which is part of the building...
                                  02-06-2019, 20:00 PM
                                • Reply to Damp in old building with NO DPC
                                  scot22
                                  I was referring to your situation. Our gentleman is an individually minded director. He succeeded in delaying co surveyor going in to flat for ten months !
                                  unfortunately there are 8 directors, at one point 12, so decision making is problematic.
                                  There are some decisive actions I would take...
                                  16-06-2019, 09:52 AM
                                • Freeholders breach of the lease
                                  surreygirl
                                  We had a surveyor in last year in April 2018 which said that the outside render was now porous and needed to be repaired as a matter of urgency and should be a priority. At a meeting they voted to wait for a year until people had saved up the money and also they needed to have an asbestos test done....
                                  16-06-2019, 09:39 AM
                                  Lawcruncher
                                  A covenant for quiet enjoyment is an agreement by the landlord that he will not physically interfere with the tenant's enjoyment of the property whoever is in occupation. Knocking on the door and asking nicely if you can check where a leak is coming from is not a breach of the covenant - nor is it...
                                  16-06-2019, 09:31 AM
                                  eagle2
                                  I am not suggesting for a minute that the leaseholder is blameless but this seems to be getting out of control, you were given access before, so he was cooperating at one stage. If there is substantial water escaping from his flat, the chances are that there is damage within his flat and so it is in...
                                  16-06-2019, 09:08 AM
                                  cday356
                                  Hi Macromia,

I agree, it won't be easy to find the leaks. If we do gain access, then that is my next biggest concern. But, the leaks are coming down into two rooms at once, so when they do occur they cover a significant area. The council has advised that our electrics have also been corroded...
                                  16-06-2019, 08:54 AM
                                  cday356
                                  Thanks Eagle2,

No, I agree, involving the local authority won't improve our relationship with the leaseholder at all. But we seem to have little choice. We very well may not be able to find anything in the flat, but I don't think that's a good reason for not even attempting to investigate...
                                  16-06-2019, 08:31 AM
                                Working...
                                X