Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leak in garage downstairs

Hi all,

I own a leasehold flat that's built on top of a garage block consisting of 4 garages.
    Today I discovered that there is a massive leak coming from one of the garages - water coming from under its door, leaking on the forecourt in front and then seeping in the ground through a crack on the concrete. It's the garage directly below my kitchen and I saw that water is flowing from under the garage door when I turn my kitchen tap on, I can hear water gushing inside the garage so clearly there is a damaged waste pipe inside.

I checked the title plan and discovered that the garage belongs to a house on the next street. I went to knock on the door and the bloke that lives there is renting it so he gave me the number of the letting agency. The lady from the agency told me that she doesn't have the keys from the garage neither does the landlord who lives abroad and said that I should feel free to break the garage lock, fix the pipe and replace the lock.

So my question is what should I do next? I don't feel comfortable breaking into someones property. Also who is responsible for the repair? Would it be me, the garage owner or the local council who is the freeholder of both my property and I assume the garage

Thanks for your replies.

You need to read your lease, as the responsibilities for repair and rights of access will be detailed there.

If the leaking pipe only serves your flat, it would normally be the case that you were responsible for repairing it.

Comment

Couldn't be that someone drove his car into the waste pipe, could it?

Comment

I would have asked the letting agency to give my contact details to the person renting the garage, asking them to contact me immediately. However you are in a difficult position - the owner may argue you are liable for any damage caused if you know there is a problem, you've been given permission to break in to fix it and you go on using the sink. You shouldnt have to pay for a new lock because they cant give you access - so I'd ask for their agreement they will pay for a new lock. Who should pay for the repair depends on what caused the leak but replacing a bit of leaking waste pipe is a job I might be able to fix myself and not worry about the cost..

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X