Pull out or buy dilemma?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pull out or buy dilemma?

I am just about to purchase a listed building flat yet both the solicitor and surveyor have not made me aware listed building consent is required for conversion works and I have only now found out been told I would not get authorization from the local authority, monies have been paid out so far so do I offer a lot lower price, pull out as cant get retrospective permission and argue with the people who did not warn me?

From many years owning a leasehold flat , pull out. Not worth potential stress.

Comment

How long ago did the conversion take place? Did the vendor tell you? Does anybody else know the date? What about other people in the house?
      It sounds as if you expected the solicitor or the surveyor to tell you
      If the date of the conversion predates the listed status you should be OK. You should be looking for a certificate of lawfulness from the planning authority.

Comment

Originally posted by scot22 View Post
        Sorry I am confused, yes I would expect a professional solicitor and surveyor to warn me...that is what I am paying them for? No seller did not tell me, that is the issue.

Comment

Wish I could!

Comment

If you have not exchanged sale contracts , then you should pull out from the sale.

Your solicitor is only responsible for conveyancing work to transfer seller name into your name, not for obtaining planning consent.

But nothing to stop you making complaint against solicitor to SRA.

Comment

One of your questions was should I pull out ? I have my opinion. What is confusing ?

Comment

Originally posted by bluebonnie View Post
                How long ago did the conversion take place? Did the vendor tell you? Does anybody else know the date? What about other people in the house?
                If the date of the conversion predates the listed status you should be OK. You should be looking for a certificate of lawfulness from the planning authority.
                No vendor has not said anything, they have done works without authorisation from the council

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
                  If you have not exchanged sale contracts , then you should pull out from the sale.

Your solicitor is only responsible for conveyancing work to transfer seller name into your name, not for obtaining planning consent.

But nothing to stop you making complaint against solicitor to SRA.
                  Thank you, it would appear that both the surveyor and solicitor should check on planning and listed building consents, so its not looking good and I am mega stressed.

Comment

Originally posted by bluebonnie View Post
                    Thanks for that, however if the Council dont know and it gets flagged up now people would be open to thousands of pounds of repair costs due to other peoples bodge efforts!

Comment

An old building becomes listed to prevent the building being modern-ised or improved .

Comment

Since you are ' mega stressed ' why not seriously consider pull out. Look through posts on here to find some of the problems leasehold can brinh.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
                          An old building becomes listed to prevent the building being modern-ised or improved .
                          Thank you Gordon, that is what I thought!

Comment

Since you are ' mega stressed ' why not seriously consider pull out. Look through posts on here to find some of the problems leasehold can brinh.
                            Yes agree with you. Thank you

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                            X