Chasing letter to repair

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chasing letter to repair

What experience and successes have you had with sending a chasing letter to repair?

What is the situation? Are you a leaseholder trying to get a freeholder (or their managing agent) to fulfill their repair obligations?

In my experience, as a residential leaseholder, it can be very difficult to get freeholders to do anything other than in their own time.
    Commercial leaseholders in my block seem to get a slightly quicker reaction, probably because the freeholder actually earns money off them, but they still don't get maintenance done as fast, or efficiently, as they would like.

Evidence that you have written to chase repairs can potentially come in useful though if you end up going to a tribunal or court over anything where repairs (or the lack of them) might be relevant - so obtain proof of posting from a Post Office and keep a copy of the letter.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• RTM Company No contact
      jimcarver
      Does anyone know what action can be taken if the RTM company is not performing and refusing communication.

Long story short, of the 6 apartments Tenant A owns 2 properties and refusing to pay (for no other reason than he doesnt want to). Tenants B & C will not pay because Tenant A is...
      21-05-2019, 00:44 AM
    • Reply to RTM Company No contact
      jimcarver
      Agreed and thanks very much for the advice. I have tried to be as amicable as possible but its time to play hard ball and lay out the options we currently have.
      22-05-2019, 10:26 AM
      eagle2
      I agree that you will not make yourself popular but ensuring that the property is insured is more important.

A director could be held personally liable if he is neglecting his duties....
      22-05-2019, 09:13 AM
      Macromia
      To get a manager appointed by tribunal you have to follow the correct process (I.e. serve a preliminary notice first), and you need to be able to prove that the block isn't being managed properly, but you don't need anyone else to agree the course of action (except the tribunal).
      22-05-2019, 08:21 AM
    • Freeholder Major Works – Not to acceptable standard (advice required)
      manchesterpat
      I live in a purpose built maisonette, of which there are two in the block – mine on the first floor, and the second on the ground floor, owned by the freeholder. The arrangement is that while the roof and the loft are demised to me, the freeholder is responsible for arranging repairs and splitting...
      21-05-2019, 08:52 AM
    • Reply to Freeholder Major Works – Not to acceptable standard (advice required)
      Macromia
      If the work that is necessary potentially includes repairing/replacing the beams, spending a lesser amount patching things up is a waste of money.

The freeholder is responsible for ensuring that the roof is repaired properly and you are each responsible for half the cost.
      You need...
      22-05-2019, 08:17 AM
      jimcarver
      Also in what way could the director become personally liable....
      22-05-2019, 06:57 AM
      jimcarver
      Ok so if I understand correctly I could singlehandedly apply to the FTT to appoint a manager? I wouldn't need approval from the RTM or any other leaseholders to do so? This is not something I particularly want to do as its a sure fire way to make me public enemy number one but perhaps the threat of...
      22-05-2019, 06:37 AM
    • Covenants relating to landscaped area
      holmesr923
      We live in a small development of 8 houses. When the building work was finished our local council place covenents on the site such as: no house to used for a business but more particularly that the landscaped area with trees and fencing had to be maintained in good order. The counci refused to adopt...
      20-05-2019, 11:48 AM
    • Reply to Covenants relating to landscaped area
      eagle2
      I would have thought that it is best to retain some say in who owns the land and what happens to that land. Alternatively, it must have some value so you could consider selling it. The Council could object to the Company being dissolved whilst there are covenants remaining....
      22-05-2019, 06:20 AM
    Working...
    X