Can lease be changed just because the directors want to change it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can lease be changed just because the directors want to change it?

I am not sure where to post this so sorry if its in the wrong place firstly?
    The recent shareholder meeting went well until new shareholder pipes up oh we don't want to pay to a service charge fund or get any painting done. It's in the lease so could the two directors go along with this and not get the painting done? They shouted me down because I said we need to follow the lease?

• Stacker
    replied
    Originally posted by eagle2 View Post
    You appear to be doing quite well so far, it is just a question of not giving up when obstacles are placed in your way. That is what others hope to achieve and they should not be allowed to succeed.

If the managing agent is not allowing you to inspect the documents, that will work in your favour, just keep a record of requests and replies.

I would concentrate on the managing agent at this stage and make a formal complaint regarding the failure to deal with repairs and reported problems, the lack of transparency and the insurance arrangements. If you do not receive a satisfactory reply, I would refer the complaint to the Ombudsman for the redress scheme to which he belongs.

It looks like you should prepare to take a case to the FTT but at the moment you do not seem to be ready, you need to obtain further information and copy documents.

I would avoid personal meetings with the directors at this stage and make all communication by email or letters so that you may refer to them at the FTT hearing if necessary. Meetings are only likely to add to your stress levels.
    Thank you Eagle2, all your support on here has been great, It is appreciated. I try to now pick the battles and go for the bigger numbers and issues...nightmare though when I am constantly being overcharged and have to have justify stuff that is simples but they seem to make it complicated. Battle rages on...

Leave a comment:

• eagle2
    replied
    You appear to be doing quite well so far, it is just a question of not giving up when obstacles are placed in your way. That is what others hope to achieve and they should not be allowed to succeed.

If the managing agent is not allowing you to inspect the documents, that will work in your favour, just keep a record of requests and replies.

I would concentrate on the managing agent at this stage and make a formal complaint regarding the failure to deal with repairs and reported problems, the lack of transparency and the insurance arrangements. If you do not receive a satisfactory reply, I would refer the complaint to the Ombudsman for the redress scheme to which he belongs.

It looks like you should prepare to take a case to the FTT but at the moment you do not seem to be ready, you need to obtain further information and copy documents.

I would avoid personal meetings with the directors at this stage and make all communication by email or letters so that you may refer to them at the FTT hearing if necessary. Meetings are only likely to add to your stress levels.

Leave a comment:

• Stacker
    replied
    Have you asked for a copy of the management agreement? Have you asked the managing agent to declare all commissions and benefits which he is receiving from managing the property? Have you asked for details of his complaints procedure? Have you complained to the managing agent?

The managing agent is likely to have done something even if it is only arrange the insurance and send you bills. So saying that he has done nothing is unlikely to help you if you go to a Tribunal or a court.

If there are repairs required which are the responsibility of the management company, I would ask the managing agent to deal with them. If you do not receive a satisfactory reply, I suggest that you inform him that you will appoint a surveyor to prepare a report and you will deduct the cost from any services charges which are payable by you.

I would list all the charges which you are unhappy with, put them in an email or letter to the managing agent and state that you will complain to the FTT if you do not receive a satisfactory response.

It is not unusual for directors to try to turn leaseholders against someone who is challenging their actions and their position. If the leaseholders/members agree with you, they can remove the current directors.
    The management agent is not FSA approved to advise on and sell insurance products, the FSA dont have this agent as a member and the only other way agents can sell insurance is being a RICS member. They are not this either. They did not even belong to a property address scheme so no they cant place insurance or earn commission when they dont have the authority to do so. Its against the law. I have raise this with the directors and they think its ok? I don't and neither do the FSA agree. I would say they cant earn the agent fee either.

Leave a comment:

• Stacker
    replied
    Have you asked for a copy of the management agreement? Have you asked the managing agent to declare all commissions and benefits which he is receiving from managing the property? Have you asked for details of his complaints procedure? Have you complained to the managing agent?

The managing agent is likely to have done something even if it is only arrange the insurance and send you bills. So saying that he has done nothing is unlikely to help you if you go to a Tribunal or a court.

If there are repairs required which are the responsibility of the management company, I would ask the managing agent to deal with them. If you do not receive a satisfactory reply, I suggest that you inform him that you will appoint a surveyor to prepare a report and you will deduct the cost from any services charges which are payable by you.

I would list all the charges which you are unhappy with, put them in an email or letter to the managing agent and state that you will complain to the FTT if you do not receive a satisfactory response.

It is not unusual for directors to try to turn leaseholders against someone who is challenging their actions and their position. If the leaseholders/members agree with you, they can remove the current directors.
    Thanks for your reply , I have asked and done all the right things to see documents under L&T Acts, I am getting turned away almost every time and only shown limited stuff and told I cant see things as only a shareholder. Basically diddly squat.

It is when I do get to see things such as the insurance documents and who the insurance has been placed with meaning company name, this is the time and opportunity I get to contact them and they have been pretty good disclosing stuff about commissions to me but the directors of my own company wont.

The management agent is the same, he shares information and they wont. The managing agent even agrees with me that we don't need a managing agent for such a small building. The directors made the decision to suit themselves. I mean the tax deductables and the insurance has gone up because they are all rented out bar mine. None of my business if they are rented out except the kitchen above mine clearly does not have suitable sound and impact insulation on its floor because cracks have appeared everywhere on my ceiling through weight of ceramic tiles. I have raised this and owner refuses to meet to discuss.

There is also no carpet on this wooden stairs and there is supposed to be as per the lease, I have been physically attacked and pushed at a shareholder meeting and picked on for writing copious letters to the managing agent. Apparently they dont like me communicating with the managing agent and from their perspective they say its not necessary however I point out I am entitled to write to obtain the facts and would not have to do so if they let me see the right information.

As someone mentioned on here earlier, I am now organizing for a surveyor to come, I have asked the other shareholders for their input and they seem to agree to pay the surveyors costs however attacked again for problems raised yet they are not meeting their repairing obligations and my flat is suffering.

Leave a comment:

• Stacker
    replied
    Originally posted by Macromia View Post

This should protect the OP from having to pay anything to the company if the company articles need to be changed in order to allow for this.
    It may not help if the company articles already allow for resolutions requiring payments to be made, and these articles were in place before the OP became a shareholder.
    Thanks for raising the shareholder company law side of things Macromania, I am aware I have to wear three hats - leaseholder, shareholder and possibly director, I am not a director however I try to keep an eye what they are doing as directors so I can relates and ensure they are following or be aware if they are following company law. Th dominant director who lets the flat out is married to a high up legal company secretary and spouts CA2006 off like she has eaten it for breakfast!.... She is psychologically dominant. So I am up against her own personal legal advisor from husband there and she goes out of the way to state this.

Leave a comment:

• Stacker
    replied
    Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
    If you think you are living in fear, then you should seriously move to another place.
    Unfortunately this is now what I will be doing, driven out of my home, no peace

Leave a comment:

• eagle2
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Macromia
    replied
    Originally posted by Stacker View Post
    I now think of challenging all this at small claims and LVT
    You should definitely take advice on how to proceed if you are considering going to a tribunal (First Tier Tribunal now).

If you are already on bad terms with the other three shareholders, regardless of whether or not this is your fault, and you don't feel safe in your home because of this, then taking legal action that will cost all of you money is not going to help with the situation.

I would suggest that you make sure that you are clear in your own mind about what you are required to pay and how what you have been asked to pay is different, and then arrange to speak to someone at Lease.

Perhaps some sort of mediation might be possible, although this would require agreement from the other shareholders.

Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• Macromia
    replied
    Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
    This should protect the OP from having to pay anything to the company if the company articles need to be changed in order to allow for this.
    It may not help if the company articles already allow for resolutions requiring payments to be made, and these articles were in place before the OP became a shareholder.

Leave a comment:

• Macromia
    replied

There is no suggestion that the Company is proposing a resolution and it would be for the members to pass it
    I am aware that it has not been suggested anywhere in this thread that any relevant company resolutions are already in place or have been proposed. I mentioned the possibility for two reasons:
    1. When replying to threads of this type we cannot know that all relevant facts have been mentioned. If the OP believes that they are only obligated to pay costs mentioned in the lease they might not even have considered the possibility of having to make payments as a result of being a shareholder of the company.
    2. Even if no resolutions currently exist, they could be passed in the future (and could potentially be passed even if opposed by the OP.

Leave a comment:

• leaseholder64
    replied
    The LVT hasn't existed for quite a few years now.

Leave a comment:

• Stacker
    replied
    Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
    If you think you are living in fear, then you should seriously move to another place.
    Yes unfortunately I hate it here and want to move but that takes time and money I dont have....

Thank you so much for your help Macromania and members, it is appreciated,
    Basically, I am trying my best to cooperate and get along however with a dominant director, I have been checking everything as suggested I find I have been charged for items I am not contractually obligated to pay for since 2016 including rogue management agent appointed, did nothing not FSA regulated or Property Ombudsman, took hidden insurance commission. Insurance did not meet my mortgage requirements.

I now think of challenging all this at small claims and LVT, directors refuse to pay their own assign to let fees. The director is renting their flat out and my ceiling is damaged, he won't meet with me to discuss the damage and there is some sort of damp problem as my lower skirting is showing signs of some sort of water coming in, there is no DPC so I have suggested we need to appoint a surveyor to assess and my property is getting damaged and devalued. They have not met their repair obligations and blame me for the issue when it is a structural issue.

A director wrote to me making false allegations about me to other people with the intention to put people off me which is working. I was wondering why people were acting distant towards me then realized what was going on. I feel like it's harassment and financial exploitation.
    Yes, I want to move as now don't feel safe in my property anymore with a male tenant keeping tabs on my daily activities and he has wrongly approached and shouted at my young daughter.
    [/QUOTE]

Leave a comment:

• Gordon999
    replied

Leave a comment:

• leaseholder64
    replied
    See also https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/46/section/25

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Approximate Cost Managing Agent
    scot22
    Not sure if correct title but looking for someone to manage finances and lease building responsibilities. Victorian 12 dwellings building in Cumbris.
    What would an average monthly charge per dwelling be ? Would it be usual to charge for extras such as getting quoted for work ?
    Any advice...
    13-06-2019, 11:12 AM
  • Reply to Approximate Cost Managing Agent
    scot22
    Despite hours of internet search I have not been able to find a property manager, managing agent ( not sure of difference ) in South Cumbria. Can anyone recommend someone or even just know of one ? I'm not being lazy just increasingly frustrated by not finding any possibility. Please help.
    19-06-2019, 18:12 PM
  • Periodic tenancy and transfer fees
    vmart
    We are considering renting out a property and creating a periodic tenancy rather than AST from the start. However, we are concerned that we will need to pay the freeholder £25 per month transfer fee (per lease) required when we underlet as the tenancy will, in effect, be renewed on a monthly basis....
    18-06-2019, 08:12 AM
  • Reply to Periodic tenancy and transfer fees
    vmart
    Dear Lawcruncher

Thank you for clarification....
    19-06-2019, 15:04 PM
  • Freeholders breach of the lease
    surreygirl
    We had a surveyor in last year in April 2018 which said that the outside render was now porous and needed to be repaired as a matter of urgency and should be a priority. At a meeting they voted to wait for a year until people had saved up the money and also they needed to have an asbestos test done....
    16-06-2019, 09:39 AM
  • Reply to Freeholders breach of the lease
    surreygirl
    They are in a position. One is worth a god few million, one is a well known artist, the others are all in well paid jobs and there are two of them whilst there is only one of me!...
    19-06-2019, 12:50 PM
    surreygirl
    No there is no allowance for a reserve fund. However I have always put away a few 100 a month just in case of any disaster. The other leasses are all high earners, they will not have a problem rustling up the money. If they had got on with it in 2011 it would have been a lot cheaper, but they didnt....
    19-06-2019, 12:48 PM
    surreygirl
    Yes I have had the flat for 30 years, it it was in 2011 that the problems of penetrating damp became known, but the people in charge at the time chose to ignore it. I even got in my own surveyor but they were immune to what he said. Finally I insisted on a surveyor checking the whole building and he...
    19-06-2019, 12:45 PM
    surreygirl
    There is nothing in the lease in respect of emergency repairs....
    19-06-2019, 12:41 PM
  • Reply to Approximate Cost Managing Agent
    scot22
    What distance from the property could be considered local ?
    19-06-2019, 10:39 AM
Working...
X