Basement water egress and maybe some sort or damp issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basement water egress and maybe some sort or damp issue

Over the Christmas period, I noticed some water under my copper pipes so my first response was to call in a plumber as I thought maybe my pipes are leaking. The plumber came and said can't see anything, plumber 2 said similar however wisely said keep on eye on the area in wet weather and low and behold when very wet weather there is egress of water into the basement from the soil. I have brought this up with other flat owners and immediately we have its not our flat nothing to do with us however I said its the foundations to the building then we get in to roof and I explained if there was an issue with the roof then we all pay so I suggested a surveyor which went down like a lead balloon, they don't want to pay and they all want to come and inspect the floor at my property however can't see the point of that as a surveyor is the person who needs to access so do I go ahead and pay surveyor myself as it is my property which is being damaged yet it is the overall responsibility for all of us and the basement is not tanked!

Appears to be a continuation of https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/fo...basement-leaks

I assume you meant ingress.

Comment

Apologies placed in wrong area!

Comment

Yes. You engage a surveyor. If problems identified, and is free holderrs responsibility, then get a couple of estimates. Notify mc, or however organized, that they must have this work done within reasonable time. If they don't you have it done, as self help, and claim money back.
        i suggest contacting LEASE for detailed legal advice, free.

Comment

Thank you Scot, I have manged to persuade them to engage a surveyor however have been told that damp does not really exist apparently its a bit of a scam industry to get people to buy DPC courses which dont work with older buildings. Read up on Peter Cox You tube

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Variation of lease
            by scampicat
            I own a flat with a lease of 125 years starting from 2012. The ground rent is at present £150 pa, but increases as follows every ten years: £225... .£337.50.... 506.25.... 759.38.... 1139.06.... 1708.59.... 2562.89 ....3844.34. There are no more increases after eighty years. I am considering a variation...
            25-02-2020, 08:57 AM
          • Reply to Variation of lease
            by sgclacy
            A ground rent of £150 per annum increasing by 50% every 10 years until it reaches £3,844.33 with 2 years to go before it makes its first doubling would cost around £7,600 plus 0.33% of the value of the flat to have a statutory lease extension

One of the difficulties in proposing any...
            13-08-2020, 01:08 AM
          • FH forfeits and sells before 6 months window for relief?
            by Loque
            999yr Long lease commercial, lessee in breach, S146 served, S146 expires without being complied with, FH re-enters and changes locks.

Now... LH can go to court to claim relief from forfeiture for the remediable breach, usually within 6 months or so. BUT lets say once FH has re-entered he...
            12-08-2020, 13:26 PM
          • Reply to FH forfeits and sells before 6 months window for relief?
            by sgclacy
            Once the Land Registry have closed the title and a new lease granted there is no redress for the lessee seeking relief from forfeiture

The land registry will write to any party shown in the charges register and the tenant before closing the title - therefore illustrating the need to make...
            13-08-2020, 00:03 AM
          • RTM - Admin Fees Charged by Freeholder
            by chris1544
            We have RTM in place for our two flat building. Recently the other leaseholder put in a request to the RTM company to install an air vent. I duly wrote to the freeholder, notifying them of our intention to grant approval for the works, giving them the statutory 30 days notice.

They have...
            12-08-2020, 11:04 AM
          • Reply to RTM - Admin Fees Charged by Freeholder
            by Gordon999
            Its in section 98 of Commonhold &Leasehold Reform Act 2002.

Where a person who is—

(a)landlord under a long lease of the whole or any part of the premises, or

(b)party to such a lease otherwise than as landlord or tenant,

has functions in relation...
            12-08-2020, 22:27 PM
          • Reply to RTM - Admin Fees Charged by Freeholder
            by Lorimer
            There isn't much case law on this but even when an RTM is in place and it is the RTM that is responsible for dealing with consents, I believe the freeholder CAN charge a reasonable admin fee simply for the freeholder's time in reviewing the consent application. This is because the RTM company cannot...
            12-08-2020, 20:33 PM
          • Reply to Late ground rent payment charge & legal fees no warnings
            by Stew
            sounds like a major win
            12-08-2020, 20:22 PM
          • Late ground rent payment charge & legal fees no warnings
            by KingstonBee
            Wonder if you can help... This week I have received a Court Claim form pack with what seems to include a ‘particulars of claim’ and ‘lease’ for ‘outstanding arrears of Ground rent and insurance’.

Now this is a huge shock as I’ve not received any letters at all, no emails or phone...
            10-06-2020, 20:13 PM
          • Reply to Can I let this freehold indefinately ?
            by ChrisDennison
            Well but who’s to judge that intention? If I as the freeholder only want women, kids and one armed pirates in my block of flats and therefore put a restriction of use to that extent in the lease isn’t that my pretty unambiguous intention?

Well put. I have a property with...
            12-08-2020, 19:14 PM
          Working...
          X