Can a RMC refuse a wayleave signed by the freeholder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can a RMC refuse a wayleave signed by the freeholder?

I live in a leasehold flat (owned). The estate is of 40 flats.
    The only ISP available is BT (Sky, Talk Talk etc).
    I have got Hyperoptic on board and they are looking to service the buildings.
    They have contacted the freeholder who is wiling to sign a wayleave for a fee (supposedly this is normal).
    Hyperoptic are worried that if they pay for the wayleave, does the RTM have the right to refuse access for it to be installed?
    I have tried getting the RTM on board with this but they are wanting me to jump through so many hoops that its impossible.

Sorry if this has been dealt with before but I searched "wayleave" and nothing came up.

Hopefully someone will have the right information.

The difference between RTM and RMC is important here.

One of the reasons people go for RTMs is to stop the freeholder causing difficulties when people want licences.

You seem to be trying to bypass that mechanism. The correct process is that you ask the RTM and they then inform the freeholder, who must respond within time limits or accept the RTM's response.

Comment

Thank you for the response.

It's more the RMC Director not being helpful with allowing Hyperoptic to install there services.

They have put it as a low priority.

I am in contact with Hyperoptic and Freeholder.

Hyperoptic are able to get a wayleave signed by the freeholder at a cost (unknown).

But is the RMC Director in a position to refuse the wayleave if signed by the freeholder?

Comment

If your site is managed by a RTM, any fees except "ground rent" payable to freeholder becomes due to the RTM . The freeholder is only responsible for collecting ground rent and dealing with proceedings for forfeiture.

The RTM is responsible for managing the site and approving the services such as electricity supply for communal areas , communal satellite TV dish, broadband etc . The RTM director ( acts for the leaseholders ) should be helping leaseholders ( you).

Comment

Thank you for your response.

What can I do though if the Director is not being helpful?

I have done the leg work with Hyperoptic, getting them on board and all they need is the yes from the director.

I've even posted the leaflets through the doors of all the flats and they have enough interest to install there services.

I've even agreed that if there is a fee for the installation on the site which I can personally not cover then it wont be installed. Although Hyperoptic have said it would be a free of charge install.

Comment

Just over 6 months on and the Director's are still not being helpful.

They are now saying there is outstanding health and Safety work to be done.
            But are then saying there is to investigation on future works such as roofs and the driveway. All of which are fine.

Both of the directors are being very unhelpful.

Comment

Are you really sure that Hyperoptic are the answer?

Comment

Originally posted by Century View Post
                Are you really sure that Hyperoptic are the answer?
                Well BT/Openreach won't upgrade the estate quickly. More like when they feel like it.
                As they are the only supplier (being openreach) to service the estate. There is no competition. So need to upgrade what they have a monopoly on.

Reason's for going for Hyperoptic comes down to service, speed and price.

1. Service they have full fibre to the property (FTTP), with the last bit over Ethernet. Which is capable of going up to 10Gbps.
                2. Speed they offer up to 1Gbps sequential 1Gbps download and upload.
                3. Price
                Hyperoptic 50mb - £23
                Hyperoptic 150mb - £26 (£38 off deal)
                Hyperoptic 1000mb - £45 (£64 off deal)

BT 50mb - £29.99 (£43.99 off deal)
                BT 67mb - £39.99 (£47.99 off deal)

As everyone can see there is a very large gap in the price to Mbps.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• RMC - Dormant Status with HMRC - Banking
                  by bigalxyz
                  I'm one of the directors of an RMC looking after a leasehold building (having recently taken over from an external property manager).

The company is dormant at HMRC. It has a business account, unused. All of our funds (service charge monies) are in a separate client account.

19-11-2019, 14:44 PM
                • Reply to RMC - Dormant Status with HMRC - Banking
                  by Gordon999
                  If the RMC company is kept non-profit making and staying dormant, the RMC does not need a "business account with debit card".

The RMC just needs a current account with cheque book for the service charge money ( designated a client account.) to ring-fence the money as belonging...
                  20-11-2019, 03:32 AM
                • Service charge budget for 2020
                  by stum
                  Hi
                  I have received a budget for the servcie charges for 2020. This is sent as a budget proposal, but at same time suggests that charges will start in January 2020, making it not a proposal but a matter of fact, as far as the service agent is concerned.
                  I am querying one of the proposed...
                  19-11-2019, 20:53 PM
                • Reply to Service charge budget for 2020
                  by Gordon999
                  The budget proposal is a rough estimate of maintenance spending for the year and is used to calculated what each flat should be charged for their annual service charge levy.

The audited accounts which are produce about 6 months after the year end will show you what was actually spent
                  20-11-2019, 02:24 AM
                • Service Charge Percentage Wrong
                  by gidoc
                  Dear all,
                  I hope this forum can guide me to the next step. I have a leasehold apartment, which I purchased in July 2007. I have never been able to go through the whole lease esp the page no1, which clearly defines the service charges as 1%. I am however been charged 2%( extra 1% for communal areas,...
                  17-11-2019, 21:47 PM
                • Reply to Service Charge Percentage Wrong
                  by leaseholder64
                  I've re-read the lease extract, and it still seems to me that most of the items under block costs relate to internal common area items.

What I suspect has happened is that 4 of the leases have different wordings, that fail to cover those items, and those don't get the internal items list,...
                  20-11-2019, 00:42 AM
                  by leaseholder64
                  Looks like there are 101 properties on the estate, 96 of them contribute to your apartment charge and 92 to your internal charge.

What are the actual numbers in each category?

The actual percentages differ from the lease, but are more accurate for an equal split 101/96/92 ways....
                  20-11-2019, 00:25 AM
                  by gidoc
                  Here is a breakdown of service charges:
                  the internal area cost- is not being paid by equivalent apartments(very few)- which do not have internal areas.
                  thanks...
                  19-11-2019, 23:03 PM
                • Reply to Service charge budget for 2020
                  by leaseholder64
                  Only if the lease requires that. There is no legal requirement to provide details of the budget, although it is best practice to do so.

The typical reason for seeing new types of charge is health and safety, e.g. emergency light testing.
                  19-11-2019, 21:52 PM
                  by gidoc
                  Landlord is a Private holding company ( commercial )
                  I have set up a telephone adv from The Leasehold Advisory Service

FTT and tribunal should be next step

and then small claims court for debt recovery if all goes ok

hope I got that in the right order....
                  19-11-2019, 21:34 PM
                Working...
                X