Homeless living in flats hallways

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rest assured, there will be no combi locks!

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
      a combi lock without a fire brigade override is likely to be a fire safety issue in its own right.
      ....Source?

Comment

Common sense

Comment

The source was out latest fire risk assessment, but, as RosieB says, it is common sense, in the same way as that you should use FB locks on cupboards to which the brigade may require access.

Comment

So no source then.

Comment

Safety legislation is not prescriptive in the way that some people would like it to be. You are not going to find legislation that is more specific than providing adequate means for fire fighting.

Comment

There are thousands of blocks of flats in the UK that do not have a fire brigade lock override.

Honestly, which is the higher risk, homeless people living in the communal hallways or a lock that can be overcome by a firefighter in 2 seconds?

(Incidentally, I've done similar myself on repos in blocks of flats that had no or useless management, much to the relief of the poor sod residents who had to live with it)

Comment

Fire brigade have decent bolt cutters. 2 seconds is probably overstating it!

Comment

Originally posted by RosieB View Post
                    The flats don't have door entry systems - anyone can walk in, day or night. There have been requests for one to be installed in the past but they've been deemed too expensive and unnecessary - but that was before this situation arose.
                    The Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 allows for you to make an application to Tribunal to vary any lease which 'fails to make satisfactory provision' for items 'relating to the safety and security of the flat and its occupiers and of any common parts of the building containing the flat'. If your property is unsecured I suspect it would be covered by this right: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1987/31/section/35

It may be enough to threaten this to the RTM company.

Comment

The directors are still refusing an EGM, despite my pointing out insurance won't cover this issue + in breach of the lease agreement. They have conceded to allowing the management company to get quotes for door entry. If my tenants bail on me while they fart about I shall be minded to charge my loss of earnings to them! (I realise that's not viable - I can't afford a lawyer for a start!).

Comment

Thanks for that Benzo - I'll wave that at them in a day or two if still getting nowhere

Comment

I suggest you ( and other flats ) make a complaint to the local MP who is the right person to deal with this problem.

The management company should change the entrance door lock and issue set of keys to each flat occupier.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Right of way on flat roof
                            desamax
                            Hi can someone advise us we are long leaseholder of 3 studio flats that have back doors onto a flat roof area that lead to a cast metal staircase down to ground level.
                            Our freeholder has boarded the staircase up because of trespassers. And now say we have no right to set foot on the roof or use...
                            26-03-2019, 00:01 AM
                          • Reply to Right of way on flat roof
                            Lawcruncher
                            You do. The lease is clear.
                            26-03-2019, 08:14 AM
                          • Lease extension / new lease
                            i have been in negotiations to extend my lease with FH. We have finally agreed that the lease can be extended for a further 125 years. However the FH has stated that a new lease will be drawn up to include ground rent at £250 pa with an increase every 25 years in line with the RPI. Change the existing...
                            25-03-2019, 22:30 PM
                          • Reply to Lease extension / new lease
                            JK0
                            I don't see how freeholder can change your lease, (re insurance and parking) and not change everyone else's.
                            26-03-2019, 07:50 AM
                            Also the FH has said that there would need to be new leases drawn up (which includes designated parking spaces) and new leases will include new ground rent and insurance proportions. Can I request a draft copy of the new lease? I don’t want FH adding additional clauses without my acknowledgment. ...
                            26-03-2019, 07:37 AM
                            The current ground rent is unknown as it has always been paid from the Management account (which it probably should never be). The lease states £25 ground rent which is increased every 25 years I line with RPzi. The original lease is dated 1981 the current lease has 61 years left. I have made an agreement...
                            26-03-2019, 06:59 AM
                          • Terminating a Managing Agent
                            HazeltonLane
                            Can anyone point me to the correct wording to use in a letter to terminate a contract with a managing agent? It's a rolling contract that has come to the end of its initial term so we don't have to give a reason for termination—just 3 months' notice.|

I can only find example letters where...
                            25-03-2019, 20:05 PM
                          • Reply to Terminating a Managing Agent
                            Gordon999
                            Here is my draft , you may think of a better way :

Dear Sir,

With reference to your company's service agreement for managing the service charge account for our block at ( address ) , we wish to serve 90 days notice effective from ( notice date ) to terminate your...
                            26-03-2019, 06:03 AM
                            DNM2012
                            How many flats in the building? All leases would need to changed in order for the insurance proportions to be adjusted.

What is your current ground rent and remaining years left on your lease?
                            26-03-2019, 06:02 AM
                            Gordon999
                            1. A leaseholder has the "legal right" to seek a statutory 90 years lease extension; , if your existing lease is down to 70 years, then after extension it will become 160 years lease at peppercorn ground rent ( = Nil Ground rent ) .

There is a free guide on statutory lease...
                            26-03-2019, 05:41 AM
                          Working...
                          X