Homeless living in flats hallways

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rest assured, there will be no combi locks!

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
      a combi lock without a fire brigade override is likely to be a fire safety issue in its own right.
      ....Source?

Comment

Common sense

Comment

The source was out latest fire risk assessment, but, as RosieB says, it is common sense, in the same way as that you should use FB locks on cupboards to which the brigade may require access.

Comment

So no source then.

Comment

Safety legislation is not prescriptive in the way that some people would like it to be. You are not going to find legislation that is more specific than providing adequate means for fire fighting.

Comment

There are thousands of blocks of flats in the UK that do not have a fire brigade lock override.

Honestly, which is the higher risk, homeless people living in the communal hallways or a lock that can be overcome by a firefighter in 2 seconds?

(Incidentally, I've done similar myself on repos in blocks of flats that had no or useless management, much to the relief of the poor sod residents who had to live with it)

Comment

Fire brigade have decent bolt cutters. 2 seconds is probably overstating it!

Comment

Originally posted by RosieB View Post
                    The flats don't have door entry systems - anyone can walk in, day or night. There have been requests for one to be installed in the past but they've been deemed too expensive and unnecessary - but that was before this situation arose.
                    The Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 allows for you to make an application to Tribunal to vary any lease which 'fails to make satisfactory provision' for items 'relating to the safety and security of the flat and its occupiers and of any common parts of the building containing the flat'. If your property is unsecured I suspect it would be covered by this right: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1987/31/section/35

It may be enough to threaten this to the RTM company.

Comment

The directors are still refusing an EGM, despite my pointing out insurance won't cover this issue + in breach of the lease agreement. They have conceded to allowing the management company to get quotes for door entry. If my tenants bail on me while they fart about I shall be minded to charge my loss of earnings to them! (I realise that's not viable - I can't afford a lawyer for a start!).

Comment

Thanks for that Benzo - I'll wave that at them in a day or two if still getting nowhere

Comment

I suggest you ( and other flats ) make a complaint to the local MP who is the right person to deal with this problem.

The management company should change the entrance door lock and issue set of keys to each flat occupier.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                          X