Section 20 despite long term neglect of the buildings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a photo of my house/flat. Always confused about what to call it.

I have my own front door which leads to internal stairs.
    That leads up to the living room/kitchen and downstairs toilet
    More stairs leads up to two bedrooms and bathroom

On the ground floor are actual flats.

The Building Work

The white panelling is in a really poor state. Some rotten, splintered, really dirty and horrible.
    The porches have holes in and are being held up by scaffolding in one area
    The guttering is blocked on some houses and overflowing
    The balconies - we've been told we are not allowed to stand on them as they're structurally unsafe
    Attached Files

Comment

That picture is coming out really small for some reason, despite clicking "Large" version.

Here's the full size version: https://i.imgur.com/aCJeN7o.png

Comment

Hi redrabbit

From the photo and description your property appears to be a maisonette. As Gordon999 suggested check the title at the Land Registry for the definition.

Comment

A couple of interesting developments:

1): Letter from 10 years ago

A lettings agent that rents two houses for leaseholders has a letter from 2010. That was sent by the freeholder in which they outlined their intention to repair and "patch up" balconies, guttering and cladding.

This was never done.

More evidence of neglect

2) I've sent a letter now

The joint letter that I drafted with everyone has today been hand delivered with 12 signatures of leaseholders. I have asked them to reply by 10th April or something like that.

The work is due to start in May and we have still not yet entered the formal consultation period.

3) Meeting with my MP

After emailing my MP about 3 times, he has agreed to have a meeting with me. I had the option of inviting other leaseholders but I won't at this time as I don't want it to water down discussions.

The meeting will be in about 2 weeks time

I'll do some preparation beforehand and have a very clear bullet point list of the issues I want to raise, and also the questions/points I want to make.

Comment

UPDATE

Last August they said they wanted to do major works and they planned to start it in April this year. It would cost 15-20k

In January they stated they planned the work to start in May and would cost around 10-12k

It is now nearly July and work has not started. In fact theg stage they received two quotes but they were more than anticipated. They are "reviewing their options"

​​​​​​....

I don't know how long this will go on for. Many of my questions and emails are unanswered.

My partner has been really struggling and the last week hasn't been good as we are just really desperate to move on with our lives. That is hard when we have no clue when this work will start, how long It will take or even how much it will cost.

I don't even know exactly what work they're planning other than a list of items like "balcony, guttering, cladding". That is the most detail I have.

GF wants to try to sell house again and attract buyers with a lot of room for negotiation. And also we will rent after so there will be no chain

Comment

Have you instructed a suitably qualified surveyor to prepare a professional report detailing what they consider the cumulative costs would have been if regular maintenance work had been carried out (perhaps sharing the costs with other leaseholders)?

It sounds like there is a lot of maintenance/repair work that urgently needs to be carried out, but for whatever reason is still not being done. The freeholder needs to get this work done without further delay, and if they aren't doing the work you need to find out why - it may be that they don't have the funds because people are refusing to pay in advance.

As far as the cost is concerned, I would think that your only hope of getting this reduced is if you can successfully argue that the total costs have increased as a result of neglect. It will be difficult to argue this if the cumulative costs if annual maintenance work had been carried out would come to a similar amount.
              Any leaseholders who have carried out their own repairs may be able to offset the cost of this against future demands, and there is a possibility that a court might grant some compensation as a result of neglect (e.g. for loss of use of parts of the leased property), but this would likely be expensive to pursue and, even if granted, might be less than the legal costs (especially if your leases allows the freeholder to charge their cost of defending legal action back to the leaseholders).

Engaging fully in the section 20 consultation should help to ensure that the costs of work are reasonable for what is actually carried out.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Bank Account for Residents' Management Company
                bigalxyz
                Am I in the right forum...?

I live in a leasehold flat in the basement of a large house. There are 11 flats in total. There has been an agreement in principle for the leaseholders to take over the management of the buildings from the current property management company, which should happen...
                20-06-2019, 13:37 PM
              • Reply to Bank Account for Residents' Management Company
                bigalxyz
                Thanks. I'll add Barclays to my list. The current property manager uses Lloyd's so I guess he thinks they're ok, which is something!

Bit cheesed off with spending time on the phone listening to muzak so I'm going to bin it off for today and come back to it later this week....
                24-06-2019, 13:56 PM
              • Cladding objection.
                Sandy1986
                I'll try to keep this brief. I own and have lived in my flat for the past 20 years. The management passed to a management company around 8 years ago. We had our AGM on June 6th just gone where my husband became one of the directors. This is because up to now there has only been 2 directors. One...
                24-06-2019, 11:05 AM
              • Reply to Cladding objection.
                Sandy1986
                Thank you for the replies. The lease states:

"So often as reasonably required to decorate the exterior of the said block in the manner in which the same are at the time of this demise decorated or as near thereto as circumstances permit".

That to me reads the exterior...
                24-06-2019, 13:55 PM
                eagle2
                I use Barclays but Lloyds advertise no transaction charges. The account has to remain in credit and the Bank has the benefit of the funds. They hope that sizeable amounts will build up, It is also something to do with their normal charging system cannot be applied because it could create an overdrawn...
                24-06-2019, 13:32 PM
                scot22
                I think you are probably in a good position. Leases vary but I doubt if it allow an expense and change like this. Check the wording of the lease carefully.
                24-06-2019, 13:30 PM
                bigalxyz
                It seems like quite a few banks offer client accounts with no day-to-day charges but often they need you to have a regular business account already open with them (and I suppose there will generally be charges for that account).

Metro bank seem to do free client accounts for example, as...
                24-06-2019, 13:03 PM
                Gordon999
                Sometimes the minority have to pay up because the proposal has been passed by the majority. Instead of painting wood every 3 years, plastic cladding may only require painting after every 12-15 years.

You would study the wording in your lease to see if the service charge can be used to...
                24-06-2019, 13:00 PM
                Gordon999
                Which UK bank offers "no charge" for their bank accounts ?

The bank account may be free for first year, but I expect a charge will be imposed in second year.

Its not realistic to expect free service from any bank ....
                24-06-2019, 12:47 PM
                eagle2
                Don't expect it to be simple, the last time I opened a client bank account, it took several weeks from start to finish, including an appointment with a business banker when various original documents needed to be produced....
                24-06-2019, 12:32 PM
              Working...
              X