Musical instrument covenant question, please help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• migvel
    started a topic Musical instrument covenant question, please help!

Musical instrument covenant question, please help!

Hi experts,

We're buying a leasehold flat
    I play cello (never after 8pm) -

One proposed lease Regulation for a flat we're buying reads as below -

"Not to sing or dance or play any musical instrument or equipment for making or reproducing sound or to act in such a manner so as to be audible outside the Property so as to cause annoyance to the Flat Tenants or any other occupiers of the Building"

. Does this mean a) I can't play cello at all, or b) I can't cause annoyance if playing is audible to other tenants?

Please help as this is a showstopper for us buying this flat. can anything be done about this covenant if the answer is a?

thanks

• migvel
    replied
    Thank you for the kind advice. Yes we do that, and we'll be doing precisely that.
    Best
    M.

Leave a comment:

• Benzo
    replied
    Don't underestimate the value of talking to your neighbours either. The Lease is there to provide clarity on covenants to help resolve disputes but it's by far the better option to ensure no disputes occur in the first place. A quick knock at your immediate neighbours to say hello and let them know that you never play after 8pm but if they have sleeping babies or are doing nightwork and need other considerations to feel free to ask - that'll go a long way to ensuring your neighbours never have to look at their lease in the first place. In my experience, it's the feeling that they can't ask you to keep it down that results in complaints to the managing agents.

Leave a comment:

• migvel
    replied
    Thanks this makes a lot of sense. We just want to be cautious and make sure Lease regulations therein are fair.
    thanks all for your help

Leave a comment:

• Benzo
    replied
    Word. My reading of the clause is that it's two parts - a) not to make noise that is b) annoying to other residents. Both have to be in play for the clause to be broken. I think you're fine, OP.

Leave a comment:

• Jon66
    replied
    The answer is B. It is a common clause in lh flats.

Leave a comment:

• KeepTheFaith
    replied
    Unless the flat has good sound proofing or you can live without your Cello playing I would consider it a deal breaker.

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    That seems to rule out TVs and radios barely audible outside the property. Bonkers.

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    Cellos have a spike that rests on the floor, don't they? Definitely going to treat the neighbours to cello music if you buy that place.

Leave a comment:

• vpr1
    replied
    I suspect that if someone else hears it and makes a complaint it will be classed as an annoyance.

I can almost guarantee that this will happen, i used to live in a downstairs corner flat and on occasions used to play keyboards not particularly loud. I was served notice due to "the loudness of my organ". This was considered a nuisance however the fact that i could hear the TV's and the tenants moving around in the adjacent flats was not.

Musical taste is an amazingly diverse thing. I regularly hear young lads playing the latest chart music from terrible sound systems in their cars in the communal car park next to my property which annoys me immensely. If it was Nivana or Rage against the machine i wouldnt have an issue i'd actually like it to be a bit louder, i dont think everyone else would agree though!

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Lord Best report
    michelle230
    For anyone interested -

Chapter 6 focus on Leasehold..

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...g-group-report
    18-07-2019, 12:46 PM
  • Reply to Lord Best report
    michelle230
    I have mentioned them I think twice.
    The other times they have been mentioned is in reply to your comments....
    22-07-2019, 12:24 PM
  • MA started Section 20 Major Works proceedings AFTER RTM application
    Benzo
    Hi all

We applied for RTM in Dec 2017, and then again in June 2018. About a week after our second application, our MA triggered a section 20 major works notification and employed the services of a surveyor to produce a spec. We objected to this and said that it wasn't appropriate to trigger...
    22-07-2019, 08:46 AM
  • Reply to MA started Section 20 Major Works proceedings AFTER RTM application
    eagle2
    Considering your history with the freeholder, I would have thought that you had paid enough already.

It probably depends on how urgent the works were, could they have been delayed reasonably? Were the costs incurred before or after you objected? If that is your only objection to the costs,...
    22-07-2019, 11:54 AM
  • Reply to MA started Section 20 Major Works proceedings AFTER RTM application
    Benzo
    Quite possible. I'm not quite trying to get out of paying - if this is a reasonable request for payment then I'll most likely pay it - I just want to see if this is a fair request, doesn't feel like it to me but I may be biased ...
    22-07-2019, 11:12 AM
  • Secret commissions
    Stacker
    The issue of freeholders and managing agents fiddling insurance commissions at leaseholders’ expense was raised in the Times earlier this month.

Sir Peter, 74, said that secret commissions were part of a broader pattern of mistreatment of leaseholders. “Those receiving cowboy commissions...
    18-07-2019, 20:27 PM
  • Reply to Secret commissions
    eagle2
    I accept the distinction and agree that it would be better if there were specific legislation. The new regulator may well make it a requirement for disclosure to be made.

There is nothing to stop a leaseholder applying now to the freeholder or agent and asking them to comply with the RICS...
    22-07-2019, 11:09 AM
  • Reply to Secret commissions
    leaseholder64
    The RICS guide uses should and must in specific ways. They only time they use must is when there is legislation that requires it. In that case they also include a reference to that legislation.

There may be the odd mistake, particularly where legislation is on the books but has not been...
    22-07-2019, 10:36 AM
    eagle2
    Michelle – I think that you have advertised the LKP enough times already, please read the forum’s rules. You repeated your error regarding the LKP applying to be represented on the FTT so your explanation does not stand up. My comments relate to your statements and I am more than happy for the readers...
    22-07-2019, 10:26 AM
    michelle230
    I made an error (meant LEASE- not FTT) through tiredness rather than ignorance and was grateful to Gordon for pointing this out.
    I don't agree that I am " wildly exaggerating" about the huge, prolonged efforts LKP have made in fighting to highlight and effect change and justice for leaseholders....
    22-07-2019, 09:29 AM
Working...
X