Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bill left over from RTM

Good afternoon all,

I must thank you all for the previous advice with our RTM. To be honest, so far, it has not been too stressful.

Now just a quick question please.

6 months after RTM I have had a fairly large 'professional fee' from a company that my managing agent did not settle before handover. It is not a utility bill.

Now my first reaction is to just pay it but my question is who is actually liable?

Many thanks again.

You should check first of all that the sum demanded is a valid charge and that it is payable eg did the managing agent instruct services to be provided by the Company and was the amount authorised? You should then check whether or not you are permitted to use the service charge monies to pay the bill eg is it for a service which may be considered as a service charge under the terms of the lease? Once you are satisfied that the bill was authorised and it is payable and you are authorised to use service charge monies, then you are able to pay the bill.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Dealing with damp
      scot22
      It is a 19th century building converted into 10 leasehold flats. Three of the flats wish to tank their walls to deal with damp issues. My research is that this could cause more problems in other parts of the building. Are they allowed to do this without permission ?
      04-02-2018, 12:59 PM
    • Reply to Dealing with damp
      scot22
      Thanks for prompt and helpful advice. This has been recommended by a surveyor and freeloader to pay. Don't ask me why but they object to this !
      25-05-2019, 13:35 PM
    • Leasehold Deed of Variation for Service Charge
      Petesam73
      Hi,

I’m the freeholder of a block of flats, and we’ve just agreed (myself and the leaseholders) a change to the service charge percentages. I understand that a Deed of Variation is the best way to enact this given that nothing else is changing. I also understand that a simple amendment...
      25-05-2019, 10:56 AM
    • Reply to Leasehold Deed of Variation for Service Charge
      Petesam73
      The percentages were set ages ago (late 1990s) and there are no records of what led to that choice (the flats are roughly equal sizes (in sq ft) though the service charge split isn’t). The only clue is that the one currently paying more occupies two floors including the roof space, so maybe someone...
      25-05-2019, 13:25 PM
      bluebonnie
      A 19th century building should probably have lime mortar - which would enable dampness to evaporate rather than penetrate the walls. It's a mistake to replace lime mortar with cement mortar. The freeholder is probably responsible for that mistake.

Get a surveyor or a structural engineer...
      25-05-2019, 12:52 PM
      scot22
      Sorry to revive thread. Flats on first and second floor. They want Freeholder to pay , not take on responsibility themselves. Freeholder lease obligation is to repair and maintain. Cement mortar pointing in good condition. Is there anything RMC should do ?
      25-05-2019, 11:57 AM
    • Reply to Leasehold Deed of Variation for Service Charge
      Lawcruncher
      You can certainly do this without a lawyer. However, like many things, it is easy when you know how and there is always scope for getting it round your neck. Have a go at drawing up something and post it here. At the same time post the exact wording, including numbering, of the clause which sets out...
      25-05-2019, 11:23 AM
    • Solicitors advised me to buy freehold and leasehold, now unable to extend own lease
      eshroom
      I bought a flat with a defective lease (missing pages, short lease, wrong plan etc.). I advised solicitor that freeholder was open to selling the freehold (with other leaseholder not interested in buying a share).

Solicitor advised I should not complete on leasehold without completing on...
      24-05-2019, 12:24 PM
    • Reply to Solicitors advised me to buy freehold and leasehold, now unable to extend own lease
      Lawcruncher
      Not quite sure what you mean by reversionary lease here as it means a lease which takes effect at a future date, which clearly cannot be the case.

I note what you say about wanting to get your money back, but consider the following:

The expense of getting a new lease drawn...
      25-05-2019, 10:29 AM
    • Reply to Solicitors advised me to buy freehold and leasehold, now unable to extend own lease
      eshroom
      The freehold was quite expensive as both leases were reversionary and with neighbour not interested in extending I'd like to get some of my the money I paid back.

I do understand the value of the freehold is appreciating the longer an extension does not take place, and they are currently...
      25-05-2019, 08:35 AM
    Working...
    X