How often does Right To Manage Application objections reach the Court Of Appeals?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How often does Right To Manage Application objections reach the Court Of Appeals?

Pretty straightforward question, this. We won our RTM last year, following a counter notice from our FH, which was dismissed as nonsense. They appealed this decision; which Tribunal denied. They then appealed to Upper Tribunal, which after a few months has been denied as 'there is no chance of winning an appeal'. The only place to go from here is the Court of Appeal.

I understand it's quite rare for a RTM to progress to the Court of Appeal. Anyone have any idea how rare?

Hi Benzo, your FH is stretching it out to the limits, but I suspect that you are not surprised based on your history.

I have found a couple of other cases which have reached the Court of Appeal but they are rare, most FHs would have given up by now.

I am sure that there will be long celebrations when you eventually succeed.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• RICS surveyor expert opinion
      scot22
      Where there has been a difference of view between two surveyors does anyone have experience of using a third independent surveyor to give expert neutral advice ? Hopefully resulting in finding common ground....
      26-05-2019, 08:50 AM
    • Dealing with damp
      scot22
      It is a 19th century building converted into 10 leasehold flats. Three of the flats wish to tank their walls to deal with damp issues. My research is that this could cause more problems in other parts of the building. Are they allowed to do this without permission ?
      04-02-2018, 12:59 PM
    • Reply to Dealing with damp
      scot22
      Thanks. It's random stone with rubble infill. Some communal areas experience damp but then dry out. Freeloader wishes to deal with issue by applying modern, breathable barrier externally. One lease holder threatens legal action to stop this work.
      26-05-2019, 08:45 AM
      Gordon999
      Does the 19th Century building have 9in solid brick walls or 11in brick walls with 2in cavity ?

Cellar tanking or basement tanking refers to the application of a liquid waterproof coating (tanking slurry) to the walls and floor of a cellar. It is used to treat damp walls by preventing water...
      25-05-2019, 22:34 PM
      scot22
      Thanks for prompt and helpful advice. This has been recommended by a surveyor and freeloader to pay. Don't ask me why but they object to this !
      25-05-2019, 13:35 PM
    • Leasehold Deed of Variation for Service Charge
      Petesam73
      Hi,

I’m the freeholder of a block of flats, and we’ve just agreed (myself and the leaseholders) a change to the service charge percentages. I understand that a Deed of Variation is the best way to enact this given that nothing else is changing. I also understand that a simple amendment...
      25-05-2019, 10:56 AM
    • Reply to Leasehold Deed of Variation for Service Charge
      Petesam73
      The percentages were set ages ago (late 1990s) and there are no records of what led to that choice (the flats are roughly equal sizes (in sq ft) though the service charge split isn’t). The only clue is that the one currently paying more occupies two floors including the roof space, so maybe someone...
      25-05-2019, 13:25 PM
      bluebonnie
      A 19th century building should probably have lime mortar - which would enable dampness to evaporate rather than penetrate the walls. It's a mistake to replace lime mortar with cement mortar. The freeholder is probably responsible for that mistake.

Get a surveyor or a structural engineer...
      25-05-2019, 12:52 PM
      scot22
      Sorry to revive thread. Flats on first and second floor. They want Freeholder to pay , not take on responsibility themselves. Freeholder lease obligation is to repair and maintain. Cement mortar pointing in good condition. Is there anything RMC should do ?
      25-05-2019, 11:57 AM
    • Reply to Leasehold Deed of Variation for Service Charge
      Lawcruncher
      You can certainly do this without a lawyer. However, like many things, it is easy when you know how and there is always scope for getting it round your neck. Have a go at drawing up something and post it here. At the same time post the exact wording, including numbering, of the clause which sets out...
      25-05-2019, 11:23 AM
    Working...
    X