transitioning from FTT appointed manager back to RTM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sarah B View Post
    RTM does not prevent you engaging a managing agent as well (in fact it is encouraged I believe). If you are happy with the FTT appointed one, why not keep them on?
    That was my thought too. You will not have the hassle of a handover, and you will be dealing with a somewhat known quantity. You can evaluate whether you have a good working relationship, when they can no longer dictate what is done, and generally get a feel for what it is like to use a managing agent, making it much easier for you to select a good agent for the following year.

Comment

Originally posted by poppyfield View Post
      Thank you both for your timely replies, this is really helpful Yes the company is listed as dormant so I suppose that means everything is still as it was. Yes the agent is arranging the meeting. It's good to know that the manager has ultimate say over the formation of the board, and cannot be overridden by the RTM.
      An FTT manager appointed by the FTT will have been put in place to oversee and abide by the requirement of the Lease, that is their legal remit. They are not there and the FTT will not have appointed them to get involved with the Company law side of things. The company is dormant because leasehold companies are normally non trading entities.

Hold some meetings with all the shareholders, get a feel for what they want? Ask them if any will stand as directors? As directors they will have responsibilities including as previous comments the requirement to undertstand Company law, The Lease, RICS service charge guide,Insurance and maintenance obligations and UK law. If some are up for this then would suggest 3 directors act and the rest vote against the directors who are not pulling their weight at a called AGM meeting. Or if simply want to remove existing directors and you have enough people to create the shift in voting power then do this via a meeting following all correct processes because if you don't they can outveto decisions.

Comment

It is a concern that the manager has not addressed “historical problems” despite managing for a period of 4 years and the obvious question is why not? It is in the directors interests to appoint a managing agent in whom they have confidence and who will deal with problems which would otherwise be referred to them. Appointing the current manager may be seen as the easy option but it is not necessarily the best option. The decision is being made now and it makes sense to consider all the options at this stage rather than to defer the decision for another 12 months.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Restitution for overpaid service charges
          by Lorimer
          I have just had a First Tier Tribunal hearing for a service charge challenge spanning the years 2014-2016. The FTT confirmed what I suspected - that I had overpaid 10K of service charges and that although the FTT is not in a position to order repayment to me, I might consider making a county court claim...
          18-04-2019, 09:01 AM
        • Reply to Restitution for overpaid service charges
          by CANADA576
          Hi Lorimer,would love to know the outcome as I have a very similar problem with a persistent leak plus wrongly apportioned and exaggerate Buildings Insurance premiums from a landlord that owns 8 properties in a row, including mine.
          09-12-2019, 10:08 AM
        • Reply to Council or housing association as freeholder
          by propertyboy
          Will I have the same statutory right to extend after 2 years like another leaseholder regardless of the fact that the freeholder is the council?

Does it matter if you are a non-resident landlord? Can you extend your lease after 2 years if you are based overseas?...
          08-12-2019, 17:49 PM
        • Council or housing association as freeholder
          by propertyboy
          Hi all,

I do not have any appetite to buy ex-local stock and look to buy period property in London.

This is personal preference (lots of ex local supply and prefer victorian stock in a period property with 2-3 flats in the block).

Recently I have been looking at...
          24-11-2019, 21:28 PM
        • Correct Accounting report for an RMC
          by Libra
          I am wondering what is the correct accounting report for an RMC, that is owned by the leaseholders / freeholders and also owns the freehold.
          Has the Tec/03/11 been superseded? Is the Financial reporting standard 102 section 1A appropriate?
          Is it correct to report that the reserve fund...
          07-12-2019, 16:49 PM
        • Reply to Correct Accounting report for an RMC
          by Gordon999
          The unspent service charge money including "reserve fund/sinking fund " belongs to the leaseholders. The RMC has to keep the service charge money in separate bank accounts called "client account" for which the bank will issue a letter to acknowledge the "client account"...
          08-12-2019, 14:00 PM
          by Gordon999
          The RMC has to file its own "RMC company accounts" to Companies House and if it has no ground rent income, it will be filing dormant accounts.

The RMC has responsibility under the lease to collect the service charge money from leaseholders and arrange maintenance of the building...
          08-12-2019, 13:44 PM
          by Libra
          Thank you Leaseholder 64. I
          07-12-2019, 20:05 PM
        • Reporting the directors of a RMC to be unfit
          by Libra
          Hello...and thank you for listening
          I am wondering if one could report the RMC directors to be unfit - several breaches of Companies Act - blackmailing / coercing the residents / misleading statements regarding the right to acquire the freehold - probably false accounting ( still investigating...
          07-12-2019, 16:39 PM
        • Reply to Reporting the directors of a RMC to be unfit
          by Libra
          Hello Leaseholder 64,
          Thank your for your reply. I didn't think that they are the same issues ...that's why I started another post. I can now see how they can have a common point. To my mind, whether I can report the directors was different to what is the correct account report for a RMC. My apologies....
          07-12-2019, 20:00 PM
        Working...
        X