transitioning from FTT appointed manager back to RTM

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sarah B View Post
    RTM does not prevent you engaging a managing agent as well (in fact it is encouraged I believe). If you are happy with the FTT appointed one, why not keep them on?
    That was my thought too. You will not have the hassle of a handover, and you will be dealing with a somewhat known quantity. You can evaluate whether you have a good working relationship, when they can no longer dictate what is done, and generally get a feel for what it is like to use a managing agent, making it much easier for you to select a good agent for the following year.

Comment

Originally posted by poppyfield View Post
      Thank you both for your timely replies, this is really helpful Yes the company is listed as dormant so I suppose that means everything is still as it was. Yes the agent is arranging the meeting. It's good to know that the manager has ultimate say over the formation of the board, and cannot be overridden by the RTM.
      An FTT manager appointed by the FTT will have been put in place to oversee and abide by the requirement of the Lease, that is their legal remit. They are not there and the FTT will not have appointed them to get involved with the Company law side of things. The company is dormant because leasehold companies are normally non trading entities.

Hold some meetings with all the shareholders, get a feel for what they want? Ask them if any will stand as directors? As directors they will have responsibilities including as previous comments the requirement to undertstand Company law, The Lease, RICS service charge guide,Insurance and maintenance obligations and UK law. If some are up for this then would suggest 3 directors act and the rest vote against the directors who are not pulling their weight at a called AGM meeting. Or if simply want to remove existing directors and you have enough people to create the shift in voting power then do this via a meeting following all correct processes because if you don't they can outveto decisions.

Comment

It is a concern that the manager has not addressed “historical problems” despite managing for a period of 4 years and the obvious question is why not? It is in the directors interests to appoint a managing agent in whom they have confidence and who will deal with problems which would otherwise be referred to them. Appointing the current manager may be seen as the easy option but it is not necessarily the best option. The decision is being made now and it makes sense to consider all the options at this stage rather than to defer the decision for another 12 months.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Dealing with damp
          scot22
          It is a 19th century building converted into 10 leasehold flats. Three of the flats wish to tank their walls to deal with damp issues. My research is that this could cause more problems in other parts of the building. Are they allowed to do this without permission ?
          04-02-2018, 12:59 PM
        • Reply to Dealing with damp
          Gordon999
          Does the 19th Century building have 9in solid brick walls or 11in brick walls with 2in cavity ?

Cellar tanking or basement tanking refers to the application of a liquid waterproof coating (tanking slurry) to the walls and floor of a cellar. It is used to treat damp walls by preventing water...
          25-05-2019, 22:34 PM
          scot22
          Thanks for prompt and helpful advice. This has been recommended by a surveyor and freeloader to pay. Don't ask me why but they object to this !
          25-05-2019, 13:35 PM
        • Leasehold Deed of Variation for Service Charge
          Petesam73
          Hi,

I’m the freeholder of a block of flats, and we’ve just agreed (myself and the leaseholders) a change to the service charge percentages. I understand that a Deed of Variation is the best way to enact this given that nothing else is changing. I also understand that a simple amendment...
          25-05-2019, 10:56 AM
        • Reply to Leasehold Deed of Variation for Service Charge
          Petesam73
          The percentages were set ages ago (late 1990s) and there are no records of what led to that choice (the flats are roughly equal sizes (in sq ft) though the service charge split isn’t). The only clue is that the one currently paying more occupies two floors including the roof space, so maybe someone...
          25-05-2019, 13:25 PM
          bluebonnie
          A 19th century building should probably have lime mortar - which would enable dampness to evaporate rather than penetrate the walls. It's a mistake to replace lime mortar with cement mortar. The freeholder is probably responsible for that mistake.

Get a surveyor or a structural engineer...
          25-05-2019, 12:52 PM
          scot22
          Sorry to revive thread. Flats on first and second floor. They want Freeholder to pay , not take on responsibility themselves. Freeholder lease obligation is to repair and maintain. Cement mortar pointing in good condition. Is there anything RMC should do ?
          25-05-2019, 11:57 AM
        • Reply to Leasehold Deed of Variation for Service Charge
          Lawcruncher
          You can certainly do this without a lawyer. However, like many things, it is easy when you know how and there is always scope for getting it round your neck. Have a go at drawing up something and post it here. At the same time post the exact wording, including numbering, of the clause which sets out...
          25-05-2019, 11:23 AM
        • Solicitors advised me to buy freehold and leasehold, now unable to extend own lease
          eshroom
          I bought a flat with a defective lease (missing pages, short lease, wrong plan etc.). I advised solicitor that freeholder was open to selling the freehold (with other leaseholder not interested in buying a share).

Solicitor advised I should not complete on leasehold without completing on...
          24-05-2019, 12:24 PM
        • Reply to Solicitors advised me to buy freehold and leasehold, now unable to extend own lease
          Lawcruncher
          Not quite sure what you mean by reversionary lease here as it means a lease which takes effect at a future date, which clearly cannot be the case.

I note what you say about wanting to get your money back, but consider the following:

The expense of getting a new lease drawn...
          25-05-2019, 10:29 AM
        Working...
        X