certification of accounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

certification of accounts

A troublesome leaseholder is insisting on certification of all the accounts. We are a converted building of 4 flats. According to the law you do not need to certify accounts for buildings of 4 flats and under.
    But in the lease it says:
    The relevant parts of the lease:

(i) The annual Service Cost shall be ascertained and certified annually in a Certificate signed by the Lessor's agents or accountants as soon after the Thirty-first day of March in each year as may be practicable and the Certificate shall contain a fair summary of the annual Service Cost attributable to the year to which it relates and shall be conclusive evidence of the matters which it purports to certify

So do we need them certified or not?

Would appreciate any insight into this.

How is "lessor's agents" defined.

Comment

The lease requires a certificate to be produced either by the lessor’s agents or the accountants.

I would ask the leaseholder what he is actually seeking, sometimes if he is invited to inspect the invoices etc, he will be happy to leave it at that.

Comment

The leaseholder is seeking to avoid paying money and annoy us at any cost. He's a property developer who is known for this behaviour. He wants to go to court and is thinking up any kind of nitpicking thing.
        I know this sounds mad but he is a bit crazy.
        In terms of lessor's agents, we have a management company managing the building.
        So does this mean the accountant has to certify the accounts which will obviously cost us more?
        What would the agent produce by way of certificate?

Comment

People often misuse the term management company. What do you mean?

Either the lease will define "lessor's agent", or it is so loosely written as to allow almost anyone to produce the certificate.

If management company really means managing agent, and the definition of agent is either missing or does not conflict, the managing agent should be able to certify.

Most people don't really want to go to court (or tribunal, in this case).

Comment

An agent is not independent of the Company so the certificate can probably be prepared by anyone.

It depends again on the wording of the lease but you should prepare service charge accounts and a certificate would normally refer to those accounts and state that the service charge expenditure is A, the leaseholder’s share is B of which C was charged on account and D is either payable or credited now.

Comment

They are a managing agent.
              This guy does. The managing agents have complained of receiving waves and waves of correspondence from him, nitpicking every detail.

Comment

You should consider whether or not the leaseholders are receiving a proper certificate from the agent. You can invite him to inspect all the documents as suggested in #3 in order to prove that there is nothing to hide.

Comment

so the managing agent can provide a certificate.
                  What does the certificate consist of?

Comment

Please refer to #6 last paragraph

Comment

I would hope the managing agent would know hot to interpret that clause, but it should probably say something like:a paraphrasing of the words in red above, together with the level of summary accounting they should already be providing.

"

Comment

There should be additional clauses within the lease explaining how the service charge operates eg whether or not there is a budget at the start of the year and how adjustments are to be made at the end of the year. The certificate will summarise the position for each leaseholder.

Comment

I don't think those words are referring to the annual statement. I think they are about the accounts.

Comment

The short answer is that you have confirmed that a certificate is required and the leaseholder is entitled to request one if he has not received it.

Comment

Ok. And the certificate should be issued by accountants? Not the managing agents?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to S168
                                by Anna1985
                                I think I would be soon, although the application would be made in joint freeholder names
                                23-09-2020, 18:58 PM
                              • S168
                                by Anna1985
                                How crazy would it be to apply to the tribunal as litigant in person to ask them to determine a breach of lease re property disrepair ( the responsibility is on leaseholders, not freeholder) ?

Opinions?
                                Thanks...
                                25-08-2019, 18:30 PM
                              • Reply to Responsibility of window frames
                                by Anna1985
                                Your windows should be covered by Fensa for 10 years, the window installer is under obligation to get them fixed Once Fensa confirms it is their cost. Oh the miracles that could happen when the installer knows they are responsible for all associated costs good luvk
                                23-09-2020, 18:56 PM
                              • Responsibility of window frames
                                by charlie8899
                                Hello - I hope someone can help. I own a new build flat and have a faulty window that needs replacing. This will be quite costly and requires erecting scaffolding. I was surprised to hear from the building management company that windows are the responsibility of the leaseholder. This doesn't seem right...
                                23-09-2020, 08:05 AM
                              • Reply to RTM Company secretary
                                by scot22
                                Is he owed money ? Ask him for detailed proof.

Pay him ?
                                23-09-2020, 17:40 PM
                              • RTM Company secretary
                                by Andrew Clark
                                We wish to change the RTM Company Secretary from our legacy managing agent to our new managing agent, the legacy agent will not complete the online authentication code until he is paid what he says he is owed. Thoughts on ways around this
                                23-09-2020, 08:02 AM
                              • Leaseholder refusing to complete repairs
                                by batterseaboy
                                Hi, we are a house divided into three flats. Each flat leasheolder also owns 1/3 of the freehold company and serves as a director.

When the top floor flat was given permission to extend his flat the variation stipulated that he would be solely responsible for any issues with the extension...
                                23-09-2020, 16:43 PM
                              • Reply to Leaseholder refusing to complete repairs
                                by scot22
                                Formally notify him that you believe that he is in breach of the lease and given him a time limit to complete repairs.

If he doesn't then his sale can be blocked.
                                23-09-2020, 17:39 PM
                                by royw
                                I've recently had Windows replaced and they did the upstairs from inside. If scaffold isn't required it will be a lot cheaper.
                                23-09-2020, 16:37 PM
                                by AndrewDod
                                I suspect if you took it to Tribunal they would say you are responsible for the frames.
                                It mentions glass separately. And words the doors sort of in parallel.

In a way it would be cheaper in the long run for you to take this responsibility. Just make sure it applies to all flats not...
                                23-09-2020, 14:01 PM
                              Working...
                              X