owner of downstair is about to take legal action against me, still anything I can do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, the fault may only show if there is a reasonable head of water.

Most of the pipes in your bathroom will only serve your flat. The downpipe for the drain is the only one that might be interpreted as communal, and that might be borderline for the top floor flat. In my case, the cold water feed is mine all the way to the outside of the block.

I run the cold water down the plug hole, not into a bucket.

Comment

Funnily enough, I put an electric shower in my friend's bathroom when we fitted a new suite about ten years ago. However, he tells me he still prefers to tip a bucket of water over himself. I wonder if o/p's tenants do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
        Funnily enough, I put an electric shower in my friend's bathroom when we fitted a new suite about ten years ago. However, he tells me he still prefers to tip a bucket of water over himself. I wonder if o/p's tenants do the same.
        Really? that's what the tenant in apt1 told me what they recon...

I did imply this to my tenants and they said what joke! anyway i can't be certain, but if they do do that it should be from day1

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
          Also, the fault may only show if there is a reasonable head of water.

Most of the pipes in your bathroom will only serve your flat. The downpipe for the drain is the only one that might be interpreted as communal, and that might be borderline for the top floor flat. In my case, the cold water feed is mine all the way to the outside of the block.

I run the cold water down the plug hole, not into a bucket.
          there is a soil pipe going into the building between my ceiling and apt above me, It then disappeared, that's what I think is leaking after all the elimination work done. But contractor can't trace it all as they don't know where it goes to.

Comment

Originally posted by latting View Post
            Because I always think anything in between or shared should be taken care by management company? And I just checked the lease and that's the case?
            The plumbing under your floor and around your bathroom isn't in a common area.
            If, when you start to take things apart, you find that the leak is coming from somewhere else, then you can involve the management company or whoever is responsible.

At present, it is likely to be problem that is your responsiblity and you are not addressing it.
            Your downstairs neighbour has advised you of the problem, and it is negligent of you not to address the issue.

If you think you can address the issue by involving the management company, you should do so ASAP.
            Otherwise start to take remedial action.
            Yes, they are accusing my tenant using the buckets to take shower on the floor, because all plumber found the bucket and couldn't understand why have them. I asked my tenants and they explained it's for collecting cold water before the water turns warm and I accepted..
            Why on earth would someone do that?
            And why would you just accept that explanation?

You can't drink or cook with it (it's not from the drinkable supply) and water isn't valuable enough to make saving a bucketload of it worth while.
            Even if you're metered, water costs about £1.30 a cubic meter, which is 1000 litres.
            So a 10 litre bucket of water would save just over a penny.
            It would take years to recover the cost of buying the bucket!
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

there is a soil pipe going into the building between my ceiling and apt above me, It then disappeared, that's what I think is leaking after all the elimination work done. But contractor can't trace it all as they don't know where it goes to.
              If it's a leaking soil pipe, downstairs wouldn't think it was shower water.
              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                The plumbing under your floor and around your bathroom isn't in a common area.
                If, when you start to take things apart, you find that the leak is coming from somewhere else, then you can involve the management company or whoever is responsible.

At present, it is likely to be problem that is your responsiblity and you are not addressing it.
                Your downstairs neighbour has advised you of the problem, and it is negligent of you not to address the issue.

If you think you can address the issue by involving the management company, you should do so ASAP.
                I asked management company to confirm the responsibility for pipes in between but they never confirm that, part of it they try not to get involved for the problematic issue. Now I have obtained the lease and sent to see, will see what they say.

Why on earth would someone do that?
                And why would you just accept that explanation?

You can't drink or cook with it (it's not from the drinkable supply) and water isn't valuable enough to make saving a bucketload of it worth while.
                Even if you're metered, water costs about £1.30 a cubic meter, which is 1000 litres.
                So a 10 litre bucket of water would save just over a penny.
                It would take years to recover the cost of buying the bucket!
                I totally accept that. I grew up from a place you turn off the taps when brushing the teeth, saving waste water to flush the toilet. Not necessarily down to the calculation but just from long term habit. The bucket was probably mainly bought for mop that I see.

Comment

If it's a leaking soil pipe, downstairs wouldn't think it was shower water.
                  Water is a bit yellowish, they don't know if it's the dust in ceiling or the just the dirty water.

Comment

Water is a bit yellowish, they don't know if it's the dust in ceiling or the just the dirty water.
                    Maybe tenant is a bad shot when wee-weeing.

Comment

1. Any small gaps ( silicone sealant missing ) between the bath edge along the wall which allows shower water to leak on to the wooden floor under the bath, when person standing in the bath ?

2. Does the ceiling in flat below below feel wet from warm water ? it may be a split to underside joint of hot water tank and warm water is leaking straight through floor boards into flat below but the leak is not visible to anyone inside the upstairs flat.
                      ( I experienced this problem in a flat about 10 years ago and lady living above flat kept denying there was a leak from her flat until it was someone noticed the leaking water was warm. )

Comment

Gordon999,

good points, arranged another plumber tomorrow morning and will check these.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                        X